welfare (thread turned into Y.a. neos v paleos argument) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:29:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  welfare (thread turned into Y.a. neos v paleos argument) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: which do you oppose most
individual welfare

corporate welfare

political welfare

NOTA-I like it when people steal my money

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: welfare (thread turned into Y.a. neos v paleos argument)  (Read 5936 times)
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« on: November 27, 2006, 03:18:23 PM »

When I was in highschool Clinton was doing his welfare reform and I strongly supported it and thought it didn't go far enough.  I thought "unemployment works and can provide transition between jobs and that is all that is ever needed."

Till my sister brought home "Sarah."  Sarah had been her friend for a long time but a "school" friend not a "home" friend and I never got to know her being a couple years older.  Sarah was raped and impregnated.  Sarah dropped out of highschool and had the baby.  Her parents had already disowned her and she was living with her grandmother who died before the baby was born.  Sarah ended up on welfare for several years while getting her GED.  In the years since she has become an upstanding young woman she went to college and is now a Nurse.

She is the first to admit that she would have had to give the baby up for adoption and probably have ended up homeless after her grandmother died.  While I'm okay with limiting welfare I clearly can not advocate eliminating personal welfare after seeing how it can work first hand.

Nice post.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 05:02:56 PM »

We can have differences of opinion and still be friends.

Nice going, Dave. Now they BOTH hate you!
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 08:21:50 AM »

Hell I even changed avatar because I don't want people associating veiws as extreme as mine with the party. 

Why? I think most "moderate" libertarians (read those like John Dibble) will eventually tire of losing election after election and move on to a new affiliation (hopefully a new party with decent financing sans the baggage the LP brings to the table) leaving the current LP to ideologues. That is not intended to be a nasty remark. For some people it is more important to be philosophically consistent while others are willing to make compromises to get in the game. I prefer the latter but I do not choose to be super critical of the former. I just hope the two sides can coexist and not torpedo each others efforts.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 08:26:13 AM »

I think most "moderate" libertarians (read those like John Dibble) will eventually tire of losing election after election and move on to a new affiliation (hopefully a new party with decent financing sans the baggage the LP brings to the table) leaving the current LP to ideologues.

It ultimately might depend on how much progress the Libertarian Reform Caucus makes. We've made some, but it's still gonna take a lot of work.

I sense that Carl is getting burned out. The most recent election results were not good so I guess we'll have to wait and see who takes the blame. Lots of chatter about looking eleswhere.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies