Muslim Woman Gives Sex Tips on Arab TV (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:28:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Muslim Woman Gives Sex Tips on Arab TV (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Muslim Woman Gives Sex Tips on Arab TV  (Read 81082 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 03, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »

This is probably a better place to put this....

Muslim woman gives sex advice on Arab TV

By NADIA ABOU EL-MAGD
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

CAIRO, Egypt -- Heba Kotb is a conservative Muslim, wears an Islamic head scarf, and goes on television once a week to talk - frankly and in great detail - about sex.

On her show, "Big Talk," Kotb answers questions from Muslims all over the Middle East about the most intimate bedroom issues with an openness that is shocking and revolutionary in a society where discussing the subject is taboo.

"How do I talk about these issues? Very seriously," the Egyptian sexologist says. "I put on a mask-like face and make sure I speak in the right tone of voice."

She also does it by talking about sex in an Islamic light, arguing that the faith is in favor of pleasure for both men and women, with one important caveat - that it be only in the context of marriage.

"I'm very proud of my religion," Kotb told The Associated Press in an interview at Cairo University, where she teaches forensic medicine. "My studies revealed to me more and more how Islam was ahead in all sexual matters ... I discovered that Islam understood sex long before the rest of the world."

For example, Islam "stresses the importance of foreplay," Kotb said, and she often stresses to listeners that women should also enjoy sex.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 02:05:19 PM »

You would be amazed how much sex there is on Arab TV.  In Iraq, I saw a ton of Iraqi cable channels and I'd say about 1/3 of them were something of a sexual nature. Normally sex hotlines.

Nevertheless, I was shocked to see this on Iraqi/Arab TV.  I guess it's more common than what we would think.

It does make me wonder if Muslim women are more sexually liberated than American women behind closed doors...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:49:58 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2009, 09:52:15 PM by Fading Frodo »

Obviously she's not the only one breaking barriers:

Challenging Sex Taboos, With Help From the Koran

By ROBERT F. WORTH
Published: June 5, 2009

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates

WEDAD LOOTAH does not look like a sexual activist. A Muslim and a native Emirati, she wears a full-length black niqab — with only her brown eyes showing through narrow slits — and sprinkles her conversation with quotes from the Koran.

Yet she is also the author of what for the Middle East is an amazingly frank new book of erotic advice in which she celebrates the female orgasm, confronts taboo topics like homosexuality and urges Arabs to transcend the backward traditions that limit their sexual happiness.

The book, “Top Secret: Sexual Guidance for Married Couples,” is packed with vivid anecdotes from Ms. Lootah’s eight years as a marital counselor in Dubai’s main courthouse. It became an instant scandal after it was published in Arabic in the Emirates in January, drawing praise from some liberals and death threats from conservatives, who say she is guilty of blasphemy or worse.

Ms. Lootah, a strong-willed and talkative 45-year-old, is one of a small but growing number of Arabs pushing for more openness and education about sex. Unlike earlier generations of women who often couched their criticism in a Western language of female emancipation, Ms. Lootah and her peers are hard to dismiss as outsiders because they tend to be religious Muslims who root their message in the Koran.

Ms. Lootah, for instance, studied Islamic jurisprudence in college, not Western psychology, and her book is studded with religious references. She submitted the text to the Mufti of Dubai before publishing it, and he gave his approval (though he warned her that Arab audiences might not be ready for such a book, especially by a woman).

“People have said I was crazy, that I was straying from Islam, that I should be killed,” Ms. Lootah said. “Even my family ask why I must talk about this. I say: ‘These problems happen every day and should not be ignored. This is the reality we are living.’ ”

She is not a liberal by Western standards. One of the themes of her book is the danger of anal sex and homosexuality generally, not because of AIDS but because they are banned by the Koran. But her openness about the issue was itself a shock to many here.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 08:04:58 PM »

She seems to be doing well for herself.  Her radio show on sexuality, 'The Big Talk', is featured regularly on Egypt's Al Mehwar satellite television, and she has a website:

https://hebakotb.net/en/
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 08:12:52 PM »

Lurkers are constantly looking at this thread, so....  
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies