SUSA: Bonilla With Decent Lead in Runoff
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:18:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  SUSA: Bonilla With Decent Lead in Runoff
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SUSA: Bonilla With Decent Lead in Runoff  (Read 8332 times)
InsideTheBeltway
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2006, 10:34:56 PM »

This is my first post on this forum, so here goes:

A new SurveyUSA poll for the TX-23 runoff shows Bonilla up 53%-46%.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReportPopup.aspx?g=e66c6e0f-0e47-43e4-82b8-955e2b96df23&q=37263
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 10:43:40 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

That poll is about where I'd expect the race to be.  Is the runoff a week from tomorrow?
InsideTheBeltway
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 11:03:37 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2006, 11:12:05 PM by InsideTheBeltway »

Yep, the runoff is scheduled to be next Tuesday 12/12.  There is still a possibility, though, that a court overturn the date between now and then.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 11:37:12 PM »

That's a little closer than I expected, but not by much.  Sounds about right.

Welcome, by the way.  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 12:44:45 AM »

Sounds close to being right %-wise, with usual MOE caveats. 

Of course, with it being a runoff, turnout is a huge issue (especially in this CD) and probably skews the sample somewhat (though which way I don't know). 

I also doubt 47.9% of RV are LV in this election (it'll probably be about 30%-35% max), but who knows for sure.

I would like to see a regional breakdown to make sure that those rural border areas have been properly surveyed, but you can't get everything.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 01:00:33 AM »

Is there any chance that Rodriguez could win this?

Remember how Mary Landrieu won her runoff in 2002 just weeks after big Republican gains. There can always be a surprise.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 01:36:30 AM »

Is there any chance that Rodriguez could win this?

Remember how Mary Landrieu won her runoff in 2002 just weeks after big Republican gains. There can always be a surprise.

I have always suspected the big Republican gains helped Landrieu there, frankly.  There is actually pretty decent historical evidence that elections held directly after (like a month or two) strong national gains (by one party or another) tend to go the other way.

I guess the partisans just conclude, we've made the big gains, now let's focus on governing and don't bother to show up to vote.  I have no better explanation than this tautology.

Anyway, a Louisiana runoff is much different than a TX-23 runoff because of the big issue of turnout I mentioned above in a low-turnout area (which becomes super-low in runoffs typically.

I was relooking over the numbers, and roughly only 40% of RV showed up at the general election.  You'll be lucky to see half that number come runoff time.

I'm going to take a rough guesstimate and say that Rodriguez needs to, at minimum, win Bexar County, in order to have a shot.  If he doesn't, he won't, because he's not a good candidate to do battle in the rural border areas.  It can certainly happen, because these are low turnout elections, but I would believe the chance would be stronger if I saw more Dem money being spent here.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 07:50:03 AM »

If Rodriguez does win, would he be vulnerbale in 2008?  More or less so than Lampson in TX-22?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 08:52:33 AM »

Mildly vulnerable, but much less so than Lampson. This district is pretty swing-ish. It has a slight lean to the GOP but would probably reelect a Dem incumbent by a wide margin. That said, Rodriguez is a terrible campaigner, so he would probably be vulnerable anywhere that isn't ultra-safe.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 08:40:36 PM »

Mildly vulnerable, but much less so than Lampson. This district is pretty swing-ish. It has a slight lean to the GOP but would probably reelect a Dem incumbent by a wide margin. That said, Rodriguez is a terrible campaigner, so he would probably be vulnerable anywhere that isn't ultra-safe.

Your analysis is correct in some areas, wildly wrong in others, but that's ok.

What's interesting is that I'm willing to bet (and I'd have to do hardcore numbers on this) that this may be the only CD in Texas where the Hispanic population as a % is actually declining.  Western Bexar County is highly exurban and growing fast and the center of Hispanic population in the CD, South Bexar (inside Loop 410), is pretty stagnant population-wise.  The rural counties are, of course, fairly stagnant.  They aren't Webb County.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies