Would R.T. Rybak have done better or worse than Hatch?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:13:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Would R.T. Rybak have done better or worse than Hatch?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would R.T. Rybak have done better or worse than Hatch?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Would R.T. Rybak have done better or worse than Hatch?  (Read 1483 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2006, 11:14:58 PM »

I'm wondering if he would've been a better candidate.

He's a good guy and a lot more likable, but there are some things I could see the Pawlenty campaign hammering him non-stop on. Same thing I'm worried about if he runs against Coleman, although I have no doubt he could beat Coleman.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 12:23:50 PM »

Hatch lost to Pawlenty in a Democratic state in a year of opportunity, even as Klobuchar was trouncing Kennedy 58%-38%.  Still, I would like to see Hatch run for the Senate in 2008 over Al Franken. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 01:06:29 PM »

Hatch lost to Pawlenty in a Democratic state in a year of opportunity, even as Klobuchar was trouncing Kennedy 58%-38%.  Still, I would like to see Hatch run for the Senate in 2008 over Al Franken. 

Me too. I think he's learned from his campaign mistakes, but I still have doubts. I'm debating over whether Rybak would be a better candidate (obviously either would be better than Franken).

The problems with Rybak:

-He endorsed Ellison in the primary. Both Hatch and Klobuchar played it smart by ignoring the MN-5 race and when asked by their opponents' campaigns if they supported Ellison, Hatch's campaign gave a response that that was completely irrelevant to the election, while Klobuchar simply didn't respond at all. I have little doubt Coleman will just hammer on with Ellison and blame Rybak for his problems.

-Crime is up in Minneapolis. Not really his fault, but he'll get blamed.

-He's in some controversy now with trying to sack his fire chief that he appointed. She's also a lesbian, leading many to claim he appointed her out of tokenism, and didn't take her incompetance into account.

Despite all that though, he's a great guy.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:53:16 PM »

I also had heard that McCollum was the obvious choice for the Democrats and was considering it.  She would be a good candidate, in the Klobuchar mould. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 09:32:28 PM »

Word is now that Hatch may stick around as de facto Attorney General. His Solicitor General (basically second in command), Lori Swanson was elected Attorney General. Now apparentely he's being offered the position of one of her chief advisors. Since he was the one who convinced Swanson to run, I wonder if that was his "plan B". If so he might have plans for future runs.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 02:07:30 PM »

Me too. I think he's learned from his campaign mistakes, but I still have doubts. I'm debating over whether Rybak would be a better candidate (obviously either would be better than Franken).

The problems with Rybak:

-He endorsed Ellison in the primary. Both Hatch and Klobuchar played it smart by ignoring the MN-5 race and when asked by their opponents' campaigns if they supported Ellison, Hatch's campaign gave a response that that was completely irrelevant to the election, while Klobuchar simply didn't respond at all. I have little doubt Coleman will just hammer on with Ellison and blame Rybak for his problems.

-Crime is up in Minneapolis. Not really his fault, but he'll get blamed.

-He's in some controversy now with trying to sack his fire chief that he appointed. She's also a lesbian, leading many to claim he appointed her out of tokenism, and didn't take her incompetance into account.

Despite all that though, he's a great guy.

I also heard from a Minnesota friend that Minneapolisites don't stand a chance in statewide politics as Minneapolis has become Minnesota's Berkeley: "ground zero for left wing loonies" - at least according to non-Minneapolisites.

I'm rooting for Betty McCollum. She at least would neutralize Coleman's standing with St. Paul voters.

The anti-Minneapolis bias didn't stop Klobuchar from winning by a massive margin.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies