Obama eyes Presidential bid (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:10:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama eyes Presidential bid (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama eyes Presidential bid  (Read 10249 times)
skybridge
« on: December 11, 2006, 04:55:09 AM »

He has been in politics for such a short time that most people have no idea where he stands on the major issues.  Sometimes I wonder if he even has formed an opinion.

It's not like nobody has read his book.
skybridge
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 01:51:35 PM »

Yes.

In any case, there's really no reason to run Obama as veep.

It's a poor strategy to run some established bore backed by someone likeable. Didn't work in 2004. Running someone charismatic backed by somone experienced is surer to win.
skybridge
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 03:15:22 PM »

Question to Obama supporters:

What exactly does Obama stand for in terms of ideology and not rhetoric?

(Just to make this clear; I'm neutral at the moment)

You could ask exactly the same question of both Clinton and Bush.

And basically every other candidate.  McCain doesn't stand for anything.

Obama is for investing more money in education, especially in technical fields, for the death penalty, against gun control (I think), a phased troop withdrawal in Iraq, more internationalism, separation of church and state for the church as well as the state's benefit, alleviating poverty but for welfare reform, etc.

Yes.

In any case, there's really no reason to run Obama as veep.

It's a poor strategy to run some established bore backed by someone likeable. Didn't work in 2004. Running someone charismatic backed by somone experienced is surer to win.

Kinda like Reagan-Bush or Bush-Cheney.

Yup.
skybridge
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 04:17:21 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2006, 04:53:17 PM by skybridge »

Obama is for investing more money in education, especially in technical fields, for the death penalty, against gun control (I think), a phased troop withdrawal in Iraq, more internationalism, separation of church and state for the church as well as the state's benefit, alleviating poverty but for welfare reform, etc.

I'm pretty sure Obama is pro gun control and anti-death penalty.

You haven't read his book, then.

"I believe there are some crimes--mass murder, the rape and murder of a child--so heinous, so beyond pale, that the community is justified in expressing the full measure of its outrage by meting out the ultimate punishment" (58).

I take back the anti-gun control statement, though. "I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities, and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manufacturers' lobby" (215). He does say leftists should acknolwedge how important guns are to some Americans too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies