gordon smith vs. barack obama.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:57:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  gordon smith vs. barack obama.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: gordon smith vs. barack obama.  (Read 17521 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 10:33:44 PM »

Ha most people in America can relate to that...whether they admit it or not.
It's honest and I salute his honesty.

He's been upfront and honest about his past drug use whenever asked, which is exactly the way any candidate should handle it.

People find his honesty refreshing. Hell, most people knew that Bush used to do cocaine and got a DWI and it never hurt him.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 10:41:58 PM »

Mitty thank you for a truly fine scenario. Smiley

I ran this scenario through President Forever and I played as the Constitution Party nominee since there would undoubtedly be a strong conservative third party if Senator Smith was to win the GOP nomination.

Barack Obama/Mark Warner (D): 283 Electoral Votes, 61,288,255 (49%) popular votes

Gordon Smith/Rick Santorum (R):  255 Electoral Votes, 56,530,069 (45%0 popular votes

Charles Baldwin/Ellen Craswell (Con.): 0 Electoral Votes, 6,765,404 (5%) popular votes

So it seems like in this 2008, Mr. Smith will not be going to Washington!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 01:59:33 AM »

Damn... Smith lost his own state. That is weak.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 10:43:19 AM »

Do you think Gore is a strong candidate?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 11:07:25 AM »

smith would win oregon.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 12:30:04 PM »

Aw man, I never thought of adding Gordon Smith to it and trying it out.

I'm going to try it when I get home, if I ever get there.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2006, 01:00:14 PM »

Do you think Gore is a strong candidate?

No.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2006, 01:30:12 PM »

Do you think Giuliani is a strong candidate?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2006, 01:54:14 PM »

oh dont waste your tme, phil.

these democrats are blinded by their obama-lust.

weve been through this before with johnny edwards.  then it was mark warner....now it is the giant that defeated alan keyes.

like all crushes, itll wear off once they look at things rationally.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 03:26:35 PM »

Oh, I can't wait until everything comes out about Obama. His star is going to come crashing down.

Everything is already out there. He smoked pot and snorted cocaine in high school. That is really the only dirt on him and it's been out since 1995.

It's been out since 1995 and how many people have cared since then? Wait until things like that and his not that centrist record becomes more well known nationally.

Err...After George W. Bush, I don't think the average american cares about coke use.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 04:14:49 PM »

...as long as it's not crack cocaine.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2006, 04:24:14 PM »

Oh, I can't wait until everything comes out about Obama. His star is going to come crashing down.

Everything is already out there. He smoked pot and snorted cocaine in high school. That is really the only dirt on him and it's been out since 1995.

It's been out since 1995 and how many people have cared since then? Wait until things like that and his not that centrist record becomes more well known nationally.

Err...After George W. Bush, I don't think the average american cares about coke use.

Let's face it - our smear machine is going to go to work on it much stronger that they did. It will all mix in with the idea that will float around about Obama being too inexperienced and such.
skybridge
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2006, 04:33:06 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2006, 04:34:39 PM by skybridge »

Let's face it - our smear machine is going to go to work on it much stronger that they did. It will all mix in with the idea that will float around about Obama being too inexperienced and such.

Not that I disagree with you, but thanks for articulating the coming hypocrisy Wink
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2006, 07:03:00 PM »

I can't see a moderate libertarian Republican senator from Oregon getting very far in the GOP primary or the general

Dave

and you think evan bayh, a bad imitation of a republican, is going to get anywhere in the democrat primaries?

As of this minute, it doesn't look like he will but things can change Wink

Dave
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2006, 10:59:33 PM »

Isn't Smith a Mormon?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2006, 11:08:35 PM »

I believe so.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 11:19:07 PM »

Yep, that's the other strike against him.

Only about 62% of the population said they would even be willing to vote for a Mormon.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2006, 11:26:58 PM »

weve been through this before with johnny edwards.  then it was mark warner...

Yeah, because Edwards and Warner were capable of creating a scene like this:

No one anticipated that 1,500 tickets (at $25 a piece) would be all sold by the middle of last week -- and fire codes and the lack of a larger venue forced the state party to stop there. (Earlier Sunday morning, Obama attracted another 750 people to a book signing in Portsmouth.) New Hampshire, as the fabled home of the first presidential primary, has a vibrant political culture, but an outpouring like this is unprecedented in my experience covering the last seven primaries here. All day Sunday, long-memoried political reporters struggled to find a parallel. When, for example, Bill Clinton ran for president here in the 1992 primary, he never attracted a crowd beyond, say, 700 people. When John McCain was riding high before he won the 2000 Republican primary, he might have spoken to a thousand voters in a high-school gym. And those were free events on the eve of a primary. Last time around, John Kerry was speaking to crowds of roughly 100 people in fire stations around the state, little more than a month before the primary. Small wonder that local politicians like state Sen. Lou D'Alessandro, a major John Edwards backer in 2004, were harking back to John Kennedy's 1960 appearance at the University of New Hampshire to find an event that matched Sunday's Obama appearance.

The way things are going, you and Phil are going to be talking about how "overrated" he is right up until he takes the oath of office. Smiley
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 11:29:03 PM »

It will all mix in with the idea that will float around about Obama being too inexperienced and such.

You can also go after him for being black, you know.

It'll be hilarious if all of this panicked smearmongering blows up in your face. And I think it will- Obama, unlike some presidential candidates, doesn't lie about his past drug use. People just aren't going to care.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2006, 11:33:01 PM »

It will all mix in with the idea that will float around about Obama being too inexperienced and such.

You can also go after him for being black, you know.

Oh wow! It took that long for you to bring up that I'm trying to make race an issue!  Roll Eyes

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It'll be hilarious that Obama will fail to succeed in this race (if he even gets in) but we'll just have to wait and see.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2006, 11:41:20 PM »

Oh wow! It took that long for you to bring up that I'm trying to make race an issue!  Roll Eyes

No, I said you could. It was a friendly suggestion, nothing more. Wink

It'll be hilarious that Obama will fail to succeed in this race (if he even gets in) but we'll just have to wait and see.

Remember this?

Obama is overrated. Though he'll easily win in November, it won't be by 25-30 points.

You scoffed at the idea of "overrated" Obama winning by 25-30 points. He won by 43. Keep it up, Phil, and you're going to be unpleasantly surprised come Election Day.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2006, 11:57:47 PM »

You scoffed at the idea of "overrated" Obama winning by 25-30 points. He won by 43. Keep it up, Phil, and you're going to be unpleasantly surprised come Election Day.

Wow. I suggest that you not get too cocky over this, Rob. Winning an Illinois Senate race against some clown - huge accomplishment. Barack Obama has never won a tough race.

Remember this, Rob:

Bobby Rush - 60%
Barack Obama - 31%

You're going to be unpleasantly surprised come 2008.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2006, 12:04:55 AM »

Elected office served prior to Presidential election

Obama:
8 years in the IL Senate
4 years in US Senate

Lincoln:
8 years in the IL House
2 years in US Congress

Enough said.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2006, 12:09:20 AM »

Wow. I suggest that you not get too cocky over this, Rob. Winning an Illinois Senate race against some clown - huge accomplishment.

The point, Phil, is that you've already underestimated him once, and badly. Yes, he had the good luck of running against Alan Keyes. But he outperformed beyond your wildest expectations; you should keep that in mind. You won't, though.

You're going to be unpleasantly surprised come 2008.

We shall see. The next two years are going to be fun. Cheesy
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2006, 12:14:57 AM »

The point, Phil, is that you've already underestimated him once, and badly. Yes, he had the good luck of running against Alan Keyes. But he outperformed beyond your wildest expectations; you should keep that in mind. You won't, though.

I underestimated him in a race where he was going to destroy his opponent. Big deal. He "outperformed beyond my wildest expectations." Oh wow. That has quite a ring to it! Way to make it seem like Obama scored some amazing upset or scored some real electoral accomplishment.

Obama will be in the big leagues now so I suggest that you quit being so arrogant. You won't though. Wait until he gets owned in the primaries or roughed up in the General.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree and I want you to know that I hope Obama gets in the race and that's not just because of what I stated earlier. He is exciting. We do need more charisma in these campaigns.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies