Why Are There No Theories Surrounding McKinley or Garfield? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:15:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why Are There No Theories Surrounding McKinley or Garfield? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Are There No Theories Surrounding McKinley or Garfield?  (Read 11827 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: December 13, 2006, 01:11:11 AM »

I was just listening to the soundtrack of Assassins, one of the greatest musicals ever, and I thought of something...

There are conspiracy theories surrounding both the Lincoln and Kennedy assassinations.  In the case of Lincoln, many people think that the reactionary Southern government must have been behind it, and Booth was not merely acting alone.  With Kennedy, many people are sure that J. Edger Hoover, or the CIA, or Lyndon Johnson most have been behind it.

Why aren't their similar theories about McKinley or Garfield?  Well, in the case of Garfield, it is kinda obvious that the assasination was the act of the single deranged man, but if that is the case for that assassination, then why not Lincoln and Kennedy?  In McKinley's case, he was killed by someone who had ties to left-wing, anarchist and communist groups, but no one seriously makes claims that any of these groups had conspired to kill the President.

Is is possible that vasy conspiracies can only happen when it is white conservative reactionaries and other groups that liberals hate that can be stamped with the blame?

Discuss.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 01:34:03 AM »

could it be that both are potentially more memorable?  Lincoln is attributed with freeing the slaves and restoring the union.  Kennedy is attributed with frontiering space exploration, diverting the Cuban missle crisis, and attempts at civil rights legislation (even if these seem miniscule by comparrison to Lincoln's attributed accomplishments, they are still remembered by a large percentage of the people who remember the Kennedy administration).  By contrast I really can't think of anything Garfield or McKinley did.  Far be it from me to consider murder of a president irrelevant, but the more a murder is remembered-the more associations can be made about it-and hence more likely conspiracy theories.

What I'd really like to know is what happened to Warren Harding.  I heard one place that he died of a heart attack and another that he died of a boating accident.

Boating accident?  Where in the Hell did you hear that?  Anyway, he died of food poisoning.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 01:39:47 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2006, 01:41:25 AM by Supersoulty »

BTW... the only reason people don't remember McKinley is because of Teddy Roosevelt.  Many of the things that McKinley did have somehow become attributed to Roosevelt... including winning the Spanish-American War:

"Teddy Roosevelt and the rough riders charged up Kettle Hill, which gave them an excellent view of the charge up San Juan Hill, which was the strategically important hill.  However, in grief over the loss of the Kettle Hill, and frieghtened by his large muscular build and shinny perfectly white teeth, the Spanish automatically surrendered to Col. Roosevelt, and that is how Roosevelt single handedly won us the Mexican War and how we got the Teddy Bear."
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 09:33:15 PM »

Yeah... Lincoln's assasination was a conspiracy. The reason why Kennedy's is, is because he was not shot by a visable assasin... It was a sniper assasination, so certainly people are going to throw theories around because no one really knows... The fact that Oswald was murdered shortly after, also fuels it.

Garfield was shot in plain view standing next to James G. Blaine and Robert Lincoln present as well... It was in a train station, plenty of witnesses, and we all know why Guiteau pulled the trigger.

In McKinley's case, he was shot in front of several thousand people, and Leon (Because I refuse to attempt to spell his last name) said he did it because he was an anarchist.

Where's the mystery in the Garfield/McKinley assasinations?

#1 I doubt that the Confederate government was involved with the Lincoln assassination even though there was a kidnapping plot, and there is no evidence solid evidence that the Conf. government even apporved that plot, only that it had been discussed.  Also, I highly doubt that Lincoln was involved in a plot to kill Davis, Lincoln was not that kind of person, they way he dealt with the confederate solidiers and generals who surrendered is evidence of that.

#2 I didn't say thaere was any mystery behind the Garfield assassination, I simply said that, if that was the act of a random madman, which it certainly seems to have been, then why not these other assassinations.

#3 Again, read my post.  Czolgosz was connected to Left-wing, communist and anarchist groups, so it is certainly possible that prominant left-wingers were involved in the plot.  No one seems to care about that, though.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 09:46:02 PM »

Guiteau was known to be crazy and no-one would get anything out of killing Garfield.  And if you're going to put a conspiracy around anyone involving that killing, I'd blame the doctors (with a bit of the last-days-of-Stalin flair).

Acctually, that is not entirely accurate.  In theory, the powerful New York Republican political machine under Roscoe Conklin had a lot to gain from the assassination.  Chester Arthur was one of their guys, a true lacky who had owned any job, including VP, he had ever had to Conklin.  Garfield was also an opponent of patronage and supported civil service reform which many thought would gut the power base of the boses.

Of course, Arthur grew a spin as President, and became the Original civil service reformer.

But you are right, you can find a "conspiriancy" almost anywhere if you look for it.  Which is my point.  Guiteau was deranged, and almost certianly acted alone, but admit it, after reading what I posted, you are a little convinced that might not have been the case.  If I spent long enough trying to look at all the angles, I coudl probably convince a few million people that it was a plot.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thanks
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 09:49:15 PM »

P.S.  Ultimately what convinced Booth to kill Lincoln wasn't the South losing the war, it was Lincoln's speeches about granting Negro or as Booth publicly called it "n" Citizenship along with his belief that Lincoln had provoked the war.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 05:05:22 PM »

Guiteau was known to be crazy and no-one would get anything out of killing Garfield.  And if you're going to put a conspiracy around anyone involving that killing, I'd blame the doctors (with a bit of the last-days-of-Stalin flair).

Acctually, that is not entirely accurate.  In theory, the powerful New York Republican political machine under Roscoe Conklin had a lot to gain from the assassination.  Chester Arthur was one of their guys, a true lacky who had owned any job, including VP, he had ever had to Conklin.  Garfield was also an opponent of patronage and supported civil service reform which many thought would gut the power base of the boses.

Of course, Arthur grew a spin as President, and became the Original civil service reformer.

But you are right, you can find a "conspiriancy" almost anywhere if you look for it.  Which is my point.  Guiteau was deranged, and almost certianly acted alone, but admit it, after reading what I posted, you are a little convinced that might not have been the case.  If I spent long enough trying to look at all the angles, I coudl probably convince a few million people that it was a plot.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thanks

I nearly did put down an "except for Roscoe Conkling" caveat...

Of course, in real life, Garfield served as something of a martyr for the "clean up the civil service"--and, of course, Arthur wasn't exactly a loyal Conkling stooge after he took the presidency.  And it would have been pretty absurd for Conkling to organize the assassination of Garfield over an incident of a week or two prioer (he had already made his political move, resigning from the Senate).

But that said, Conkling wouldn't have known any of that at the time.

I'm not serious about this theory, but another thing that would seem to indicate a connection between Conkling and the assassination would be Guiteau's now forgotten words after the shooting "I am a stalwarts or the stalwarts".  Conklin was, of course, one of the leaders of the Stalwarts.

Also, Guiteau spent a lot of time in New York City dealing with Conklin and Arthur.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies