America: 2000-2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:22:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America: 2000-2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Author Topic: America: 2000-2016  (Read 80105 times)
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2006, 12:18:28 AM »

2000 Presidential Election

Republican Primary
After a strong victory in the Iowa Caucuses, Texas Governor George W. Bush is defeated in an upset by Arizona Senator John McCain in the New Hampshire Primary.  However, after a solid margin of victory in South Carolina, Governor Bush attains significant momentum, which earns him the Presidential nomination.  He selects personal friend and Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge as his running mate.

Democratic Primary
Though initially fearing defeat, Vice President Al Gore sweeps through all fifty states during the primaries against far-left candidates former Senator Bill Bradley and Senator Paul Wellstone.  He accepts his nomination in front of a united convention.  He selects Massachusetts Senator John Kerry as his running mate.

General Election
The Bush/Ridge ticket, masterminded by Karl Rove, quickly portrays the Gore/Kerry ticket as too liberal for mainstream America.  Vice President Gore becomes the target of several attack ads which focus on controversies in his past, including illegal fundraising from his White House office, and his proclamation that he invented the internet.  Senator Kerry does little to help the ticket.  Instead, he too becomes the focus of several attack ads. 

Gallup Poll
9/1/2000
Bush/Ridge: 51%
Gore/Kerry: 40%

The debates between Bush and Gore seem to be seen as near ties by the American public, with a slight preference being given to Gore.  In the Vice-Presidential debate, Tom Ridge comes out as the widely perceived winner.

Although Gore works earnestly to close the gap before Election Day, the brilliant Bush/Ridge campaign by Karl Rove is far too strong.

Results:

Electoral Vote
Bush/Ridge: 342
Gore/Kerry: 196

Popular Vote
Bush/Ridge: 53%
Gore/Kerry: 44%
Nader/LaDuke: 2%

President-elect Bush and Vice-President-elect Ridge take office in January.

Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 12:33:56 AM »

Bush/Ridge: 2001-2005

The Bush/Ridge Administration has a smooth beginning.  The President is able to garner bi-partisan support for his No Child Left Behind Act and has a generally positive relationship with Congress.

CNN Poll
April 20, 2001
Bush Approval Rating
Approve: 61%
Disapprove: 37%
Unsure: 2%

On September 11th, 2001, terrorists attack the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon outside Washington, D.C.  The nation reacts in shock.  President Bush immediately travels to New York City in order to attempt to emotionally lead the nation in healing, while Vice President Ridge remains in Washington, D.C. in order to produce a comprehensive policy for the United States government to deal with terrorism.

In December of 2001, the United States begins bombing raids of the Taliban-controlled Afghanistan.  In January of 2002, ground troops begin to disperse throughout the Afghan mountains with the intent of finding and capturing Osama bin Laden. 

Back at home, President Bush is enjoying immensely high approval ratings.

New York Times Poll
January 23, 2002
Bush Approval Rating
Approve: 82%
Disapprove: 17%
Unsure: 1%

In the summer of 2002, the Bush Administration announces its plan to search for and eliminate terrorist cells in the United States, designed primarily by Vice President Ridge.  Within the following year, dozens of terrorist cells are discovered and eliminated.

In response to the administration's success in preventing terrorism, the economy soars.  The stock market has returned to normal trading and is steadily rising. 

In December 2002, President Bush announces that his administration has concluded that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein was behind the 9/11 attacks.  Later that month, Congress votes to authorize the use of force against Iraq.

(To be continued)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:51:39 PM »

So far so good, but don't put in the Saddam behind 9/11 part.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 01:38:37 AM »

What difference is it to you, Naso?... This is Yates' story.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 07:08:57 AM »

What difference is it to you, Naso?... This is Yates' story.

9/11 is Naso's thing.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 09:05:46 AM »

Fairly interesting story, obviously has a smidge of a pro-Bush spin on it, but interesting none-the-less.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 10:26:56 PM »

Hey Yates...I hope you keep this up.

I'd like to see what happens doen the road.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 10:29:34 PM »

There will be another update this evening.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 10:45:43 PM »

How did the 2002 midterms play out?
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 11:01:28 PM »

I had forgotten to include that in the first update; I apologize.

The midterms were similar to real life, but with larger Republican gains.  All Congressional leadership is the same.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 11:24:22 PM »

Bush/Ridge: First Term (continued)

In March of 2003, President Bush announces that military operations in Iraq have begun.  The same night, CNN reports that Iraqi anti-aircraft missiles have destroyed three United States Air Force planes. 

The following day, Saddam Hussein declares war on the United States.  Four bombers from the Iraqi military are sent to bomb United States military camps in Kuwait.  Hundreds of soldiers are killed.  In response, President Bush orders the commanders on the ground to "destroy Baghdad."

In Operation Vengeful Thunder, the United States Air Force drops dozens of bombs across the city of Baghdad, destroying many Iraqi government buildings, but also resulting in the deaths of many civilians.

In the United States, Election 2004 is beginning to heat up.  President Bush has announced that he will run for re-election, but he has yet to confirm that Vice President Ridge will remain on his ticket.  On the Democratic side, former Vice President Gore has announced that he will not be running, while his running mate, John Kerry, has declared his candidacy, along with Senator John Edwards, House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt, Congressman Dennis Kucinich, Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle, Vermont Governor Howard Dean, and Georgia Governor Roy Barnes.  At this point, most media coverage is focused on the Iraq War, and not on the election.

The Iraq War continues to proceed poorly.  The Secretary-General of the United Nations, Kofi Annan, led a group of over one hundred countries in condemning the "unjustified and inexcusable actions of the United States military."  Apparantly frustrated with the lack of diplomatic cooperation before the war, Secretary of State Colin Powell quietly resigns, soon replaced with diplomat and prominent neoconservative Robert Zoellick.

MSNBC Poll
April 17th, 2003
Presidential Approval Rating
Approve: 41%
Disapprove: 56%
Unsure: 3%
Iraq War Approval Rating
Approve: 29%
Disapprove: 62%
Unsure: 9%

On April 20th, 2006, United States ground forces capture Saddam Hussein and sons from Baghdad and bring them to Kuwait to be held in a military detention facility.  Saddam's capture brings the approval rating of both the President and the war slightly up.

Des Moines Register
Iowa Caucus Poll
May 10th, 2003
Gephardt: 20%
Daschle: 16%
Edwards: 11%
Barnes: 6%
Kerry: 5%
Dean: 2%
Kucinich: 1%

In June of 2003, Saddam's government is virtually eliminated, and ground forces begin to secure the city of Baghdad.

On July 10th, 2003, Vice President Ridge announces that he will fill out the remainder of his term as Vice President, but will not be running on a ticket with President Bush.  President Bush first offers the Vice Presidential spot to former Missouri Senator John Danforth, but Danforth respectfully declines.  Instead, Bush asks a relative unknown.

On July 21st, 2003, President Bush announces his choice for running mate: the wife of a family friend, conservative author, political talk show host, and former government agency director:

Lynne Cheney.

More to come.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 09:47:55 AM »

Disclaimer

The events described in this fiction are not necessarily the desires of the author.  This fiction has been and is being written free from political bias.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 11:15:41 AM »

OOhhh, it's looking good.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 02:12:29 PM »

I admit, I don't like the way the military is being played out here but nevertheless, I found the story to be very interesting though unrealistic.

I'm looking forward to see how your 2004 election turns out.  Keep it up!
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 03:25:21 PM »

I admit, I don't like the way the military is being played out here but nevertheless, I found the story to be very interesting though unrealistic.

As I noted above, the events described here do not represent my own opinions or wishes.  I have enormous respect for the military as well as your service to our country.  This story is merely to entertain, and certainly does not reflect the honor and gallantry that the true military has.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 05:28:14 PM »

I must note one small detail before posting the next update tonight.  In this fiction, Roy Barnes was re-elected Governor of Georgia in 2002 against Sonny Perdue.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 05:37:09 PM »

As I noted above, the events described here do not represent my own opinions or wishes.  I have enormous respect for the military as well as your service to our country.  This story is merely to entertain, and certainly does not reflect the honor and gallantry that the true military has.
Hey Brother: I know you're doing it for entertaining and I think you are doing a great job on this.  Keep it up! Smiley

One question: Did Jeffords still switch parties in June of '01?
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 05:43:40 PM »

Hey Brother: I know you're doing it for entertaining and I think you are doing a great job on this.  Keep it up! Smiley

One question: Did Jeffords still switch parties in June of '01?

Thank you.

And yes, he did.  However, the Republicans regain the majority after the 2002 midterm elections.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 06:11:04 PM »

Election 2004: Part I

In the second half of 2003, Iraq has gone to chaos.  An insurgency fired up seemingly overnight, and it has become fairly ordinary to have hundreds of troops killed in one day.  The war has become extraordinarily unpopular with the American people, with only 12% approving.

Because of his frustration with the Iraq War, retired N.A.T.O. Supreme Commander General Wesley Clark announces that he will challenge President Bush in the Republican primary.  "I can no longer stand to see my party support the President who started this moronic war," says Clark. 

MSNBC Poll
Republican Primary
November 12th, 2003
Bush: 57%
Clark: 30%

Meanwhile, the Democratic nomination appears up for grabs.  Dick Gephardt continues to hold a narrow lead in Iowa polls, but Tom Daschle has been establishing a solid lead in New Hampshire.  Roy Barnes has surprised political analysts by surging to a solid second place in polls in both states.  Edwards, Kerry, Dean, and Kucinich are all in the single digits. 

In December of 2003, Barnes announces that he will remove all troops from Iraq within one month upon taking office.  In the two weeks after this statement, both Kucinich and Dean end their bids for the nomination and endorse Barnes, who surges ahead in Iowa polls.

On the Republican side, Senator Chuck Grassley and Congressman Jim Nussle are actively campaigning for the President in Iowa, and the polls show that their work is paying off.

Des Moines Register
Iowa Caucus - Republican
December 20th, 2003
Bush: 66%
Clark: 29%

CAUCUS NIGHT

Early on the night of the Iowa Caucuses, George W. Bush appears to hold an insurmountable lead.  At 9:34 P.M., he is declared the winner.

Iowa Caucus
Republican

[X] Winner
65.29%

As the night progresses, Georgia Governor Roy Barnes, who, like another former Georgia Governor, was once written off as an also-ran, maintains a solid lead.

By 11:19 P.M., it is over.

Iowa Caucus
Democratic

[X] Winner
42.73%

Dick Gephardt placed second.  As he labeled Iowa as a "must-win" state, he ends his Presidential bid the following day.  Tom Daschle placed third, following by John Edwards.  John Kerry, who placed last out of the major candidates, announces that, if he does not come in third place or higher in the New Hampshire Primary, he will leave the race.

Stay tuned for Election 2004: Part II, coming either tonight or tomorrow, with Part III coming shortly thereafter.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 06:40:15 PM »

This is great. Please keep it going!
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 08:00:55 PM »

Good job! Keep it coming.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 08:40:04 PM »

Election 2004: Part II will be posted by 11:00 P.M. EST.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 09:22:37 PM »

Election 2004: Part II

The day after the Iowa Caucuses, Dick Gephardt announces that he will be ending his Presidential bid.  In a somber press conference, Gephardt says that he will be making an endorsement for the primary in the coming weeks. 

In a similar press conference, Senator John Edwards announces that he will be suspending his campaign indefinitely.  Campaign insiders suspect that Edwards may be waiting until after the New Hampshire Primary to make an endorsement, although he is rumored to prefer Barnes over the other remaining candidates.

On the Republican side, General Wes Clark gives a charismatic speech after his Iowa defeat.  "Over a third of Republicans voted against George W. Bush!  We will continue this campaign to represent those in our party who haven't had a voice and we will be victorious!"

President Bush immediately travels to New Hampshire, where he is joined by Governor Craig Benson and Senators Judd Gregg and John Sununu to begin his campaign.

In the days following the Iowa Caucuses, Tom Daschle begins to see his formerly solid lead in New Hampshire slide.

University of New Hampshire Poll
Democratic Primary
February 1st, 2004
Daschle: 43%
Barnes: 39%
Kerry: 12%

A poll for Republicans shows a tightening race.

University of New Hampshire Poll
Republican Primary
February 1st, 2004
Bush: 55%
Clark: 39%

Meanwhile, in Iraq, soldiers are having a very difficult time crushing the insurgency.  In January alone, 3,487 United States troops were killed.  Mass protests begin to form in front of the White House and the Capitol Building.  Approval of the war is down to a mere 9%, and President Bush's approval is down to 30%, only 59% of Republicans approving.

The economy is also suffering.  Since the war began, the stock market has slowed rapidly, with the economy in a constant state of recession.  Addressing this issue, Senator Daschle states that, "With his idiotic handling of the Iraq War, the President has put Americans in danger.  I'm not talking about physical danger.  I'm talking about the danger of starving, of living on the streets, and of not getting a quality education."

Feeling compelled to directly address this issue, President Bush gives an address to the nation in early February.  In the address, Bush announces that, because of the enormous death toll of the war, he will begin to withdraw troops in April, and will cooperate with the United Nations and regional Middle Eastern nations to hand over control of security forces.  Upon this announcement, his approval rating climbs by 10% in one night.

New Hampshire Primary

Early in the evening, President Bush has a very large lead, which he maintains through the night.  At 8:39 P.M., he is declared the winner.

New Hampshire Primary
Republican Results
[X] George W. Bush: 67.84%
Wesley Clark: 30.59%
Other: 1.57%

The Democratic Primary leader changes periodically between Tom Daschle and Roy Barnes for the entire evening.  By 1:00 A.M., Barnes has the tiniest of margins.  With 99% of the precincts reporting, the winner is projected at 2:37 A.M.

New Hampshire Primary
Democratic Results
[X] Roy Barnes: 44.36%
Tom Daschle: 43.25%
John Kerry: 10.63%
Other: 1.76%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roy Barnes emerges from the New Hampshire Primary as the undisputed frontrunner.  The following day, John Kerry leaves the race, and endorses Barnes.  One week later, Tom Daschle does the same, as does John Edwards.

Wes Clark also ends his bid, citing "a brighter opportunity to save this country."

On March 25th, 2004, Ralph Nader announces that he will not be running for President as an Independent, and urges all far-left candidates to refrain from doing so, saying, "Roy Barnes is the best chance this nation has of electing a leader who will reverse the tremendous damage this President has done."

On April 2nd, 2004, at a Democratic unity rally, presumptive Democratic nominee Roy Barnes announces his selection for running mate.

"When choosing who to select, I had a few traits in my mind.  I needed someone who had experience serving America.  I needed someone who I could get on well personally.  I needed someone who shared my beliefs.  But most of all, I needed someone who is willing to stand up and say and do what is right, even when all odds are against him.

I am proud to announce that joining me in this fight as the Democratic Party Vice-Presidential candidate will be General Wesley Clark."

ELECTION 2004: PART III - COMING SOON.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2006, 09:27:59 PM »

I'm guessing America ceases to exist after 2016 in this scenario? Wink
Yates

Political Matrix