America: 2000-2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:57:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America: 2000-2016 (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: America: 2000-2016  (Read 80644 times)
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2007, 10:20:58 PM »

The Road to the White House

On May 25th, 2007, Hillary Clinton ends her exploratory stage, and begins her official campaign.  She runs under the slogan, "America Calls Another Clinton," and consistently mentions her late husband in speeches, advertisements, and campaign literature.  Mostly because of Bill Clinton's recent death, this message resonates with voters.

On May 30th, 2007, the first debate for the Democratic Primary candidates takes place in Kansas City, Missouri.  Paul Wellstone is generally agreed to be the most visible candidate in the debate, due to his message that World War III was caused by having too pugnacious a President, and that he (Wellstone) would achieve America's goals using peaceful measures.  Another notable moment was Nancy Pelosi's assertion that, "Hillary's constant use of her husband is a disgusting example of using a death for political gain."  Clinton responded to the statement by referring to Pelosi as "a woman with no decency."  Snap polls after the debate actually showed Durbin and Richardson as the believed winners of the debate, with Wellstone a solid third, and Clinton and Pelosi far behind.

Two days later, the first Republican Primary debate takes place.  The debate is less fiery than the Democratic debate.  Ridge and Kyl mostly discuss policy propositions, with Cox criticizing both major candidates.  DeLay proclaims himself as the only "true conservative" in the race, and, after Ridge proposes that the United States should decrease the size of its active military, DeLay refers to him as a "spineless coward."  Jon Kyl is widely seen as the winner of this debate, with Christopher Cox a distant second. 

The White House

On June 17th, 2007, President Clark announces that he is proposing to Congress a revised budget for the 2008 fiscal year which will cut federal spending by nearly 20%.  Standing beside Treasury Secretary Jack Lew, Clark says, "We are cutting spending this year, and I urge all future Presidents to cut spending in their budgets for every year in this decade, so we can finally stop adding to this huge debt."  Clark's announcement is widely praised by both Republicans and Democrats.  Aside from this announcement, the Washington area has been fairly quiet recently.

Rasmussen Reports
June 25th, 2007
Clark Approval Rating
Approve: 76%
Disapprove: 22%
Unsure: 2%

2008 Campaign

Des Moines Register
July 30th, 2007
Democratic Caucus
Durbin: 34%
Wellstone: 30%
Richardson: 15%
Clinton: 9%
Pelosi: 7%
Unsure: 5%

Des Moines Register
July 30th, 2007
Republican Caucus
Kyl: 49%
Ridge: 36%
Cox: 8%
DeLay: 3%
Unsure: 4%

On August 21st, however, the Democratic primary field changes dramatically.  Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry, who had previously been thought to have ruled out a run in 2008, announces that he will run for President.  In his announcement speech, Henry says, "In this primary, only the far-left wing of my party is being represented.  I'm here to represent the majority of my party, and majority rules, so we're going to win."

Henry immediately begins to saturate Iowa with ads (using vast amount of early fundraising money).  His campaign manager announces that Henry will focus solely on Iowa until the caucuses are over, with the intent to use a victory in Iowa to give him momentum in New Hampshire, a state where he has little natural appeal.  In his speeches, Henry often touts the fact that he is the only sitting Governor in the Democratic primary, and that executive experience is necessary to be President.  Richardson contradicts him by citing the fact that, merely two years ago, he, too, was a Governor.

President Clark is remaining officially neutral in the primary, though Vice President Holbrooke and Treasury Secretary Lew are both actively campaigning for Richardson.  The Richardson campaign has, after Henry's entry into the race, largely abandoned Iowa, focusing almost exclusively on the New Hampshire Primary.  (Note: The Nevada Primary was not moved before New Hampshire in this scenario.)

In October, the race in Iowa is a dead heat for the Democrats, but Jon Kyl seems to have a solid lead for the Republicans.

Rasmussen Reports
October 20th, 2007
Iowa Democratic Caucus
Henry: 32%
Durbin: 29%
Wellstone: 21%
Richardson: 7%
Clinton: 5%
Pelosi: 3%
Undecided: 3%

Rasmussen Reports
October 20th, 2007
Iowa Republican Caucus
Kyl: 51%
Ridge: 34%
Cox: 10%
DeLay: 2%
Undecided: 3%

In merely three months, the votes will count.  Who will come out on top?

--------------------------------
Coming Next:
It is finally here - the Iowa Caucus.  Who will come out victorious, and who will be soundly defeated?  And, within the next few updates, this election will grow from just a two-party race.

Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2007, 10:28:46 PM »

The Democratic Field

The Republican Field

Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2007, 08:13:26 PM »

The next update will be posted by midnight, most likely.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2007, 06:57:14 PM »

I am sorry for not posting the update yesterday.  It will be posted this evening.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2007, 09:13:34 PM »

IOWA
January 14th, 2008

It's the day of the Iowa Caucuses, and each candidate is making their final campaign stops in the states.  After essentially conceding Iowa several weeks ago, Bill Richardson has been getting an early start in New Hampshire.  Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi have both failed to appeal to voters in Iowa, and have also begun to campaign in New Hampshire.  Paul Wellstone seems to be stuck in a solid third place.  The race for the Democratic Caucus is between Brad Henry and Dick Durbin, who have traded the lead in polling for months.

On the Republican side, Jon Kyl has been building a stronger lead in Iowa with each poll.  The true race is for second place.  Tom Ridge has, like Bill Richardson, basically given up hope of a victory in Iowa.  Christopher Cox, however, has been campaigning vigorously in the state for a chance to be perceived as a major candidate for the nomination.  Tom DeLay has been campaigning nationwide as opposed to only in Iowa or New Hampshire, which leads some to believe that he may be gearing up for an Independent or third party candidacy.

8:07

With 13% of precincts reporting. . .

Democrats
Durbin: 36.71%
Henry: 34.32%
Wellstone: 14.96%
Richardson: 6.51%
Clinton: 5.04%
Pelosi: 1.92%
Other: .54%
Paul Wellstone is projected to be in third place.
Bill Richardson is projected to be in fourth place.
Hillary Clinton is projected to be in fifth place.
Nancy Pelosi is projected to be in last place.

Republicans
Kyl: 51.37%
Cox: 24.59%
Ridge: 22.72%
DeLay: .70%
Other: .62%
[/i]Jon Kyl is projected to be the winner.
Tom DeLay is projected to be in last place.[/i]

9:14

With 34% of precincts reporting. . .

Democrats
Henry: 36.31%
Durbin: 36.07%

Republicans
Jon Kyl
Cox: 25.67%
Ridge: 21.84%

9:59

With 57% of precincts reporting. . .

Democrats
Durbin: 36.29%
Henry: 36.18%

Republicans
Jon Kyl
Cox: 26.73%
Ridge: 19.27%
Christopher Cox is projected to be in second place.
Tom Ridge is projected to be in third place.

10:34

With 83% of precincts reporting. . .

Democrats
Henry: 37.92%
Durbin: 35.34%
Brad Henry is projected to be the winner.
Dick Durbin is projected to be in secnd place.

Iowa Results

Democrats
[X] Brad Henry
Dick Durbin
Paul Wellstone
Bill Richardson
Hillary Clinton
Nancy Pelosi

Republicans
[X] Jon Kyl
Christopher Cox
Tom Ridge
Tom DeLay

----------------------------
Coming Next:
The next update will be in television show form, and will discuss Iowa results as well as provide updates on candidates who have dropped out of the race - one candidate will drop out of the race altogether, but two candidates will drop out of the primary races only.  Coming next!
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2007, 05:57:03 PM »

The next update will be tonight.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2007, 07:05:24 PM »

I realize that the last two updates have been posted late.  However, I am slightly suprised by the lack of response.  Do you all still wish me to update?  If so, I would be happy to do so.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »

Alright.  Thank you all.  I apologize for the delay.  The next update will be tomorrow!
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2007, 10:07:17 PM »

HARDBALL
With Chris Matthews

Matthews: Good evening and thanks for joining us.  Tonight, we're going to discuss the results in Iowa and what they mean for both parties' primaries.  Joining me are our two guests for tonight: former Democratic Party Chairman Terry McAuliffe and former Republican Party Chairman Ed Gillespie.

Chairman Gillespie, we'll start with you.  How surprising is it that Tom Ridge came in third, after Christopher Cox, and what will it mean for your party's primary?

Gillespie: Well, it's very surprising at first glance, but when you look more closely, it's not surprising at all.  Ridge has been running a lackluster campaign and Cox has been running a truly great campaign, getting his name out there to voters.  Cox earned that victory.  As for what it will mean, Ridge must come in second place or, even better for him, win the New Hampshire Primary if he wants to stay in the race.  At the start of the primary season, he was one of the two frontrunners, with Jon Kyl.  Then, he sort've became the second fiddle to Kyl, but now he's at risk of losing that.  If Cox comes in front of him in New Hampshire, Cox has taken the place of the main challenger, and Ridge is out.

Matthews: With Jon Kyl's victory, is it safe to say that he is the frontrunner?

Gillespie: Absolutely.  Kyl is a solid frontrunner.  The only way he can be stopped is if Christopher Cox just blows Ridge out of the water in New Hampshire and, somehow, gets enough momentum to play even with Kyl.  But, right now, I'd say there is a 75% chance that Kyl will be the Republican nominee.

Matthews: Now to you, Chairman McAuliffe.  Brad Henry came out ahead of Dick Durbin in Iowa.  What will this mean for the race for the nomination?

McAuliffe: Well, this is devastating for the Durbin campaign.  Durbin is from Illinois, a neighboring state to Iowa, and should have won.  He's at risk of losing his status as the frontrunner.  He needs to come back strong in New Hampshire if he wants to remain the favorite.  Henry won because his late entry into the race got the media attention focused on him.  Right now, he has the momentum, and he's going to be hard to stop.

Matthews: Now, two candidates exited the Democratic race last night - Paul Wellstone and Nancy Pelosi.  Comment on that, if you will.

McAuliffe: Pelosi was overshadowed by Clinton throughout the campaign.  If she ran in 2004, she would have had much more success, but two powerful women going at each other in one primary is too much for voters.  Wellstone's exit from the race surprised me, and it looks like he's gearing up for a third party run.

Matthews: Speaking of that, let's roll a clip from Wellstone's concession speech last night.

"The fight for the Democratic nomination is over.  But the fight for peace and freedom, for equality and for tolerance, for liberty and hope, is still here.  I plan to continue fighting that fight and win the White House."

Matthews: To me, it sounds like he's planning to go third party, maybe to the Peace and Freedom Party or to the Greens.

McAuliffe: Yes, it does sound like that.  If he does, it would hurt the nominee, but it would hurt a nominee Henry or Richardson more than it would hurt a nominee Durbin, simply because Durbin already appeals to the far left crowd.

Matthews: Now, Chairman Gillespie, a candidate for the Republican nomination started a third party campaign yesterday.  Tom DeLay is now seeking the nomination of the Constitution Party.  Will he get it?

Gillespie: Well, I'm no expert on Constitution Party politics, but yes, I think he will, and he will hurt the Republcian candidate in the general election, no matter who it is.  After decades of service to our party, I am shocked that Tom would betray us like this.

Matthews: Alright, predictions for the general election race, both of you.  Terry, you first.

McAuliffe: Henry vs. Kyl vs. Wellstone vs. DeLay, and Henry will win.

Matthews: Ed, your turn.

Gillespie: Same candidates, but Kyl will win.

Matthews: We should have you both bet money on that.  Anyway, thank you both for being our guests tonight, and for all of you at home, thank you for watching.

-------------------------
Coming Next:
New Hampshire Primary - with the general election candidate field growing, who will be the nominees of the two major parties?  The winners of New Hampshire will be on their ways to the nomination.   
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2007, 05:13:03 PM »

The next update will be tonight.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2007, 10:54:23 PM »

New Hampshire

Rasmussen Reports
January 18th, 2008
Democratic New Hampshire Primary
Henry: 36%
Durbin: 31%
Richardson: 22%
Clinton: 9%
Other: 2%

Rasmussen Reports
January 18th, 2008
Republican New Hampshire Primary
Kyl: 48%
Ridge: 26%
Cox: 25%
Other: 1%

The day after his disappointing second-place finish in Iowa, Dick Durbin begins a week-long saturation of the major television stations in New Hampshire.  Durbin focuses on his Senate experience, and attacks Henry's lack of foreign policy experience, going as far as to compare him to Roy Barnes and George W. Bush, two former Governors who had disastrous terms as President.

Henry, on the other hand, largely rides on momentum to increase his lead and to win solidly in New Hampshire, securing the nomination early.  Bill Richardson, who has declared New Hampshire a "must-win" state, has made his connections with the Clark Administration the central theme of his campaign.  His third place position in the polls is, to his campaign, quite disappointing.  Hillary Clinton has put all of the $17.6 million remaining in her campaign war chest into New Hampshire ads and get-out-the-vote efforts.  Word has it that, if she finishes last among the major candidates, Clinton will leave the race.

Jon Kyl has largely remained out of the fray that is the battle for second place.  Kyl has already begun to concentrate his efforts campaigning in swing states such as Florida and Ohio in preparation for the general election.  Tom Ridge is regionally popular among New Hampshire political leaders, but Christopher Cox has attacked Ridge for his connections to the unpopular Bush Administration.  Cox, who has dubbed himself an outsider, has obtained much publicity from his "dark horse" status. 

On January 20th, a final debate between the candidates of both parties takes place.  In the Democratic debate, Dick Durbin, with his usual vigor, attacks Henry's lack of his experience and promotes his own experience as a Senate leader.  Henry appears to be unprepared to respond to these attacks.  Bill Richardson and Hillary Clinton remain fairly quiet during the debate, relying on canned responses to most questions.  Polls after the debate show a strong victory for Durbin.

In the Republican debate, Jon Kyl spends most of his speaking time focusing on his Senate record, and largely ignores the other two candidates.  Christopher Cox and Tom Ridge viciously attack each other during the debate.  Polls after the debate show Kyl as the widely-agreed winner, with Cox and Ridge far behind.

Gallup Poll
January 24th, 2008
Democratic New Hampshire Primary
Durbin: 34%
Henry: 33%
Richardson: 24%
Clinton: 8%
Other: 1%

Gallup Poll
January 24th, 2008
Republican New Hampshire Primary
Kyl: 62%
Cox: 19%
Ridge: 17%

PRIMARY NIGHT

With 14% of precincts reporting. . .

Democratic Primary
Durbin: 35.41%
Henry: 33.28%
Richardson: 25.83%
Clinton: 4.32%
Other: 1.16%
Bill Richardson is projected to be in third place.
Hillary Clinton is projected to be in last place.

Republican Primary
Kyl: 65.81%
Cox: 15.20%
Ridge: 12.48%
Other: 6.51%
Jon Kyl is projected to be the winner.

At 9:38 P.M., word comes that Hillary Clinton will end her Presidential bid.  At 9:45 P.M., she addresses her supporters and officially announces her withdrawl from the race.

At 10:01 P.M., Bill Richardson's campaign manager announces that Richardson will be addressing supporters tomororow.  It is reported by DailyKos that the Richardson campaign has cancelled all campaign events in South Carolina.

With 57% of precincts reporting. . .

Democratic Primary
Durbin: 36.72%
Henry: 32.91%
Dick Durbin is projected to be the winner.
Brad Henry is projected to be in second place.

Republican Primary
Jon Kyl
Cox: 16.13%
Ridge: 13.65%
Christopher Cox is projected to be in second place.
Tom Ridge is projected to be in last place.

New Hampshire Primary
Democratic Winner: Dick Durbin
Republican Winner: Jon Kyl

------------------------
Coming Next:
More candidates leave the race.  One party's nomination is nearly locked up, while the other party can expect a fight to the convention.  All this, and more, in the next update.

Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2007, 10:58:52 PM »

The next update will be tomorrow evening.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2007, 10:23:41 PM »

Announcement

From this point forward, all updates will be posted at 8:00 P.M. EST/7:00 P.M. CST
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2007, 07:29:53 PM »

The Fight

With both Bill Richardson and Hillary Clinton out of the Presidential race, the Democratic nomination will either go to Senate Majority Leader Dick Durbin or Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry.  After an unexpectedly solid victory in the New Hampshire Primary (most analysts projected that the winner would be decided by a margin of less than 1000 votes), Durbin seems to have the advantage.

On the Republican side, Tom Ridge has dropped out of the race, leaving Christopher Cox as the sole remaining challenger to the heavy frontrunner, Senate Minority Leader Jon Kyl.  However, to the surprise of nearly everyone, Cox leaves the race three days after the New Hampshire Primary, saying, "I could pursue a longshot campaign for the nomination.  I could get my name out and maybe get my name in the appendix in some history book.  But now is a time for unity, and in the name of party unity, I am leaving the race for the White House and wholeheartedly endorsing Jon Kyl."  With Cox's exit from the race, Jon Kyl is the presumptive Republican Presidential nominee.

Rasmussen Reports
February 1st, 2008
South Carolina Democratic Primary
Henry: 45%
Durbin: 43%
Undecided: 12%

Henry launches a week-long advertising campaign in South Carolina, touting his centrist views, and attacking Durbin as being a left-wing extremist.  Durbin responds by making several appearances with the state's African American political leaders, including Congressman Jim Clyburn. 

Rasmussen Reports
February 5th, 2008
General Election
Henry: 32%
Kyl: 31%
Wellstone: 10%
Undecided: 25%
---
Durbin: 35%
Kyl: 34%
Wellstone: 6%
DeLay: 3%
Undecided: 22%

Henry uses this poll, and others like it, to tout his perceived "electability" in a general election.  Durbin responds by charging Henry of abandoning "traditional Democratic values."  The campaign turns into a battle-royale of the centrist and conservative-leaning Democrats and the traditional liberal and far-left Democrats.  The situation is escalated when Paul Wellstone, campaigning independently for the White House, announces that he will, if Henry is nominated, "campaign to win" as opposed to "trying to send a message."  Congressman Dennis Kucinich, Senator Barbara Boxer, and others, pledge to support Wellstone if Henry is the Democratic nominee.

Other Democrats respond to this by pledging to support Jon Kyl if Durbin is nominated.  Senator Joe Lieberman says, "If Dick Durbin is the Democratic nominee, America will have to choose between two far-leftists, an ultra-conservative, and a mainstream conservative.  I'll choose the one who isn't an extremist."  This statement, in which Lieberman is obviously suggesting moderate Democrats support Kyl if Durbin is nominated, is supported by several moderate and conservative Democrats.

The South Carolina Primary is only days away. . .

-------------------
Tomorrow at 8:00 P.M. EST/7:00 P.M. CST
Will the battle between Democrats escalate?  Who will the Democrats nominate?  This, and more, in the next update.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2007, 10:02:52 PM »

Announcement

From this point forward, the fiction will be run somewhat like a television show.  Every weeknight (Monday through Friday) at 8:00 P.M. EST/7:00 P.M. CST, an update will be posted.  Tomorrow's update will focus on the campaign, while the update after that will focus on the goings-on in Washington.  Expect updates to shift between the campaign and Washington from this point on.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2007, 07:56:32 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2007, 07:58:13 PM by Former Senator Yates »

SOUTH CAROLINA PRIMARY

Democratic Primary
[X] Dick Durbin: 49.46%
Brad Henry: 48.43%
Other: 2.01%

Dick Durbin's surprise victory in the South Carolina primary secures his status as the odds-on frontrunner and, as some begin to say, presumptive nominee.  The day after the results are announced, Brad Henry ends his bid for the nomination.  In his speech, he says, "Yes, we're disappointed.  Yes, we're angry.  But we can't let these feelings control us.  We need to get over it and do all we can to support Dick Durbin in the general election."  The remarks are meant to discourage Henry supporters from endorsing the Republican nominee, Jon Kyl.

However, the remarks do little.  On February 23, 2008, Senator Joe Lieberman holds a press conference in which he endorses Kyl for President.  Standing beside him are fellow Democrats Henry Cuellar, Phil Bredesen, Gene Taylor, and others.  Lieberman says, "The Democratic Party no longer represents patriots like President Clark.  It represents ultra-liberals who, judging by their rhetoric, don't seem to want the best for our nation." 

Rasmussen Reports
March 5th, 2008
Kyl: 41%
Durbin: 32%
Wellstone: 9%
Undecided: 16%

Now having the nomination locked up, Durbin has a difficult decision to.  Should he choose a running mate who he believes to be best fit for the spot, or should he choose Brad Henry in an effort to win back conservative Democrats? 

While Durbin is pondering this decision, Jon Kyl announces his running mate.  In a press conference from St. Paul, Minnesota, Kyl announces that his running mate will be Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty.  The Kyl/Pawlenty campaign immediately begins a nationwide tour, hitting key swing states.

Independent candidate Senator Paul Wellstone, who has announced his intention to remain in the race, also selects his running mate.  Wellstone selects Congressman Dennis Kucinich.  Also, Constitution Party presumptive nominee Tom DeLay selects anti-immigration activist Jim Gilchrist as his running mate.

Durbin appoints Bob Schrum to manage a committee to select a running mate.  Durbin's personal favorite is Secretary of State Bill Richardson, a former primary rival.  Other names he is considering are Senator Mike Ciresi, Senator Barbara Boxer, Senator Ben Nelson, and Governor Janet Napolitano.  However, Durbin's advisors consistently remind him of the need to win back the votes of conservative Democrats, possibly by choosing Brad Henry.

By March 20th, 2008, Durbin has made his decision.

The Democratic Ticket

DICK DURBIN/BILL RICHARDSON

The Republican Ticket

JON KYL/TIM PAWLENTY

The Independent Ticket

PAUL WELLSTONE/DENNIS KUCINICH

The Constitution Ticket

TOM DELAY/JIM GILCHRIST

The race is on.

--------------------------------------
TOMORROW AT 8
President Clark begins his final year in office.  Though he has attempted to heal the divide, debate in Congress becomes more heated than ever, and includes an early debate between the two major party nominees.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2007, 08:31:42 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2007, 11:24:19 PM by Former Senator Yates »

Update will be posted either tomorrow morning or early tomorrow afternoon.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2007, 10:14:28 PM »

The Final Year

President Clark, in his final State of the Union address, announces that the agenda for his last year in office will consist of balancing the budget, attempting to disarm North Korea, and cutting taxes for the middle class.  Clark remains immensely popular, and his agenda is applauded by both Democrats and Republicans.

Despite Clark’s popularity, however, Congress is deeply divided on partisan lines, and seems to have more partisan bickering than ever before.  The Democratic majority, lead by Speaker Steny Hoyer and newly selected House Majority Leader Ed Markey are facing an effective and strong-willed minority lead by Mike Pence.  In the Senate, the two presumptive nominees for President are their party’s respective leaders, a first in our nation’s history.

President Clark proposes a budget to Congress which includes dramatic spending cuts in several areas, including welfare, education, and federal worker salaries.  Congressional Republicans are ecstatic over this budget, though Democrats come out in line to oppose it, the first notable opposition Democrats have shown to the popular President of their own party. 

In a passionate debate on the Senate floor, Senate Majority Leader and Democratic Presidential nominee Dick Durbin and Senate Minority Leader and Republican nominee Jon Kyl attack each other’s positions on cutting spending on the welfare program.  In the end, several Democratic Senators join the Republicans in supporting the cut in spending, and the budget as a whole.  The debate is seen by many as a sign that Durbin is not the wholehearted Clark supporter he has claimed to be.  In the campaign, Durbin has often boasted of his status as “Clark’s representative in the Senate,” and has noted his essential position for getting Clark’s policy through Congress. 

In early April, Jon Kyl publicly meets with President Clark in the White House with the stated purpose of discussing ways in which bipartisanship can be used to pass much of Clark’s agenda.  The meeting gives photographers plenty of opportunities to snap photos of Kyl and Clark shaking hands and chatting, which are picked up by the Kyl campaign.

Though Durbin and Kyl remain the official leaders of their parties in the Senate, their responsibilities have largely been handed over.  Leading the Democrats from behind the scenes is Senator Barbara Boxer.  Leadership duties over the Republicans have been largely transferred to Kyl’s “heir apparent,” Senator John Ensign. 

Rasmussen Reports
Clark Approval Rating
April 30th, 2008
Approve: 76%
Disapprove: 22%
Unsure: 2%

Rasmussen Reports
Generic Congressional Ballot
May 2nd, 2008
Republican: 45%
Democrat: 38%
Undecided: 15%

Political analyst Stu Rothenberg says, “2008 is looking increasingly like a Republican year.  As of now, I would expect significant gains for Republicans in Congress.”

However, the focus of Americans is shifted suddenly on May 7th, 2008. 

BREAKING NEWS: North Korean state television is now reporting that missiles containing nuclear warheads are aimed at the cities of Tokyo, Beijing, and Seoul.  A top military official has given orders to have the missiles ready for launch at a moment’s notice.

NEXT UPDATE
Will there be war or will a crisis be averted?  And how will this issue affect the Presidential race? 
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2007, 08:00:06 PM »

You've already hit Israel with missiles and now Japan, Korea, and China! Stop destroying all of my homelands.

I am sincerely sorry!  However, some action is necessary in a what-if fiction.  I doubt you all would enjoy reading 18 pages of everyday life!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This will become clear in the next update, which will probably be tomorrow.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2007, 08:13:36 PM »

Well, I am anxious to see what your reactions will be to what will actually be happening.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2007, 04:51:49 PM »

Not at all!  The next update will be tonight.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2007, 09:53:59 PM »

One Minute to Midnight

President Clark, immediately after learning of the situation in North Korea, calls an immediate cabinet meeting.  In the meeting, several of Clark's advisors urge Clark to militarily strike North Korea.  Clark, however, is reluctant to use military force immediately, especially after seeing the disastrous results of President Barnes' attack on Iran a few years earlier.

Clark does, however, instruct the Secretary of Defense to notify the Joint Chiefs of Staff that they should prepare a strategy for war, should the need arise.  Several aircraft carriers from Hawaii are being transported to Japan, in anticipation of a military conflict.

Meanwhile, President Hu Jintao issues an ultimatum: If North Korea does not stand down within 24 hours, China will overthrow the North Korean government.  This statement only angers Kim Jong-Il, whose aides announce that such threats will only provoke the dictator into attacking.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe declares that Japan is prepared to go to war.  Abe says, "Not only do we believe that North Korea's missiles are too unreliable to strike Japan, we also know for a fact that the North Korean military is poorly armed.  Because of these two factors, we are prepared to go to war."

The South Korean government issues a similar statement.  A government official says, "Seoul would be an unwise target for Kim to hit, and he knows that.  But if he tries, we are ready to launch a full-scale air and ground invasion or North Korea."

President Clark, in desperation, pleads with the Chinese President to retract the ultimatum, believing it will lead to wider regional war, which would spark yet another world war.  Hu compromises; he extends the ultimatum to 48 hours. 

On May 8th, the North Korean government announces that it will stand down if, and only if, it is able to meet one-on-one with a high-level United States diplomat.  The North Korean government demands that this diplomat travel to North Korea, unaccompanied by security personnel.  Though the United States government would not usually honor such a request, President Clark feels as though honoring it would be a better option than allowing a nuclear war to begin.

However, Secretary of State Bill Richardson informs the President that he will not travel to a rogue, nuclear armed nation without security.  Vice President Richard Holbrooke, himself a former United Nations Ambassador, steps up to the plate.  At 4:00 P.M. on May 8th, Holbrooke departs for Pyongyang to meet with Kim Jong-Il. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the early morning hours of May 8th, a nuclear explosion rattles the countryside of northern South Korea.  In a largely unpopulated area approximately one hundred miles south of the border, the North Korean military unleashed the first nuclear attack in over six decades.  Fifteen South Koreans were killed, but the larger implications of this strike could lead to many more deaths.

The President of South Korea orders a full-scale air and ground invasion of North Korea.  Over 300,000 South Korean troops, accompanied by hundreds of fighter jets and bomber aircraft, storm the de-militarized zone.  Upon crossing the border, they are met by thousands of North Korean troops, and bloodshed ensues.  South Korean air force planes fly further into the country, bombing farms and countryside, but stopping short of Pyongyang.  Additionally, air force jets patrol Seoul, preparing to destroy an incoming missile.

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of Chinese forces are lining up on North Korea's northern border, preparing to invade if chaos ensues in the nation.  Japan is remaining quiet, unwilling to involve itself in a conflict which would require an immense sacrifice of ground troops.

The plane carrying Vice President Holbrooke, which is now in the Eastern Pacific Ocean, is ordered to land in Honolulu and await further orders.

Kim Jong-Il, perhaps realizing that he may soon be thrown out of power, orders the launch of nuclear missiles at Seoul, Tokyo, and Beijing.  The missiles aimed at Beijing and Tokyo disintegrate above the sea, while the missile aimed at Seoul falls just south of the border, resulting in the deaths of over two hundred South Korean soldiers, as well as the spreading of nuclear radiation from north of Seoul to south of Pyongyang.

================================================

North Korea's military leaders, realizing that their dictator is not acting in the best interests of the country, stage a military coup.  Thousands of soldiers raid Pyongyang, and several generals personally capture Kim Jong-Il and inform him that he will be overthrown.  At 11:30 P.M. EST on May 8th, 2008, Kim Jong-Il is executed by his own generals.  The execution was done by a bullet to the head.

Premier Pak Pong-ju is installed as the Interim Leader of North Korea.  Pak orders martial law over the country, and publicly asks South Korea and China to hold off on military attacks. 

Chinese President Hu Jintao orders his military to wait until sunrise the next day, and attack, seeing this as an opportunity for China to take over North Korean land.  The South Korean government does not reveal what its plans are.

President Clark asks Vice President Holbrooke to return to Washington, as he believes no diplomacy will matter now.  However, Holbrooke insists that he fly to Pyongyang.  Holbrooke believes that, if he is the first foreign diplomat to recognize and greet the new North Korean government, he could influence the new leader to adopt more pro-Western ways than his predecessor.

In the early hours of May 9th, 2008, Vice President Richard Holbrooke arrives in Pyongyang, where he is greeted personally by North Korean leader Pak Pong-ju.  The two discuss affairs and engage in small talk.  However, some substantial headway results.  Holbrooke convinces Pak to abandon North Korea's nuclear program, to allow his nation to be opened up to Western culture, and to end all human rights violations.  Pak surprisingly agrees.  In his words, an alliance with the United States of America will help his nation more than any military conflict. 

After the meeting, President Clark asks the governments of China, South Korea, and Japan to call off all attacks on North Korea, and to recognize the new government.  All nations do so. 

War has been averted, and a new alliance has been formed.

-----------------------------------------------
Next Update
Now that war has been averted, attention shifts back to the 2008 Presidential campaign.  There are only a few more updates until Election Night.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2007, 05:51:51 PM »

This will be updated tonight.  There will only be a few more updates until Election Night 2008.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2007, 09:22:47 PM »

Summer 2008

The actions of the Clark Administration, particularly of Vice President Holbrooke, are universally praised.

Rasmussen Reports
May 15th, 2008
Clark Approval Rating
Approve: 85%
Disapprove: 11%
Unsure: 4%

Following the conflict in North Korea, there is a renewed "Draft Holbrooke" campaign which attempts to take delegates away from the declared candidates and have them nominate Holbrooke for President.  However, Holbrooke once again affirms his commitment not to run for President or accept a nomination, and endorses Dick Durbin.

The campaign is largely quiet until July, when the conventions begin.  The Republican National Convention is held in Phoenix, Arizona, in honor of Arizona's native son, Jon Kyl.  The convention revolves around the "New American Century" theme that has been prevalent throughout the campaign season.  The keynote address, delivered by House Minority Leader Mike Pence, is widely praised, and, in many ways, overshadows the speeches by Jon Kyl and Tim Pawlenty.  Most pundits describe Kyl's speech as "safe" - using good language and sticking to the talking points, but not particularly bold or revolutionary.

The Democratic National Convention is held Chicago, home of native son Dick Durbin.  Early in the convention, delegates witness speeches Speaker Steny Hoyer and House Majority Leader Ed Markey which appear to attack President Clark's moderate domestic record.  The keynote address is given by Brad Henry, who urges all Democrats to unite behind the Durbin/Richardson ticket after a divisive primary season.  The speeches given by President Clark, Vice President Holbrooke, and Secretary of State and Vice Presidential nominee Bill Richardson are all widely praised.  In the three speeches, the men talk of the "Clark Record," which consists of bringing an end to World War III, solving a crisis in North Korea, and pursuing a centrist domestic agenda.  In his acceptance speech, Dick Durbin says, "We have seen what can be done when America is once again a world leader, and not a world cop."  Later in his speech, Durbin pledges to continue Clark's record.  The speech is widely hailed as the finest acceptance speech in decades.

Rasmussen Reports
September 1st, 2008
Presidential Election
Durbin: 43%
Kyl: 41%
Wellstone: 6%
Undecided: 8%

The conventions have overshadowed the minor campaigns of Paul Wellstone and Tom DeLay.  DeLay, however, has been constantly making extremist remarks.  His campaign website tells of DeLay's plan to "Re-Christianize" America.  Political analyst Larry Sabato says in September, "DeLay's extremism makes Jon Kyl look moderate, and is probably helping him with moderate voters."

On September 10th, 2008, the dynamics of the race change.  Paul Wellstone ends his Presidential bid.  "I came in this race to make a statement - a statement that our nation could use some peace," says Wellstone.  "There is a candidate who shares the same vision, and his name is Dick Durbin."  After Durbin secured the nomination, Wellstone had difficulty raising funds and finding support, as he was largely unable to differentiate himself from the similarly liberal Durbin.  Wellstone's exit ensures that he will not act as a "spoiler" to Durbin in the election.

On September 15th, 2008, the debates will begin.

----------------------------------------------------------
Next Update
The debates - who will win and who will make a damning error?  Who will control Congress?  There are only a couple more updates until Election Night 2008.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2007, 09:14:15 PM »

Bacon King, you will soon find out.

The next update will be tomorrow.  I have some work that must be finished tonight.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies