America: 2000-2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:12:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America: 2000-2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17
Author Topic: America: 2000-2016  (Read 80099 times)
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »

Those four words of your above post highlight what I am trying to depict. 
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2007, 04:05:30 PM »

When will your next update take place?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2007, 04:15:13 PM »

What I was trying to say was that it would take the Israelis retaliating with a completely out of proportion response to nuke Iran. Thus it would be vengeance that has gone out of control. The Israelis, to a greater extent than Americans, are realists when it comes to military and foreign policy mostly because they have to be.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2007, 04:23:59 PM »

It's just a fictional story about what the world would be like if Barnes was president.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2007, 04:59:36 PM »

This evening.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2007, 05:00:02 PM »

It's just a fictional story about what the world would be like if Barnes was president.

I am not suggesting that a Barnes Presidency would lead to such chaos.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2007, 05:06:10 PM »

Yates, this is turning out to be awsome, I can' t wait till the next update!
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2007, 05:34:29 PM »

Nice work Yates,

I'm rooting that we kick Iran's @$$ though!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2007, 05:41:39 PM »

What I was trying to say was that it would take the Israelis retaliating with a completely out of proportion response to nuke Iran. Thus it would be vengeance that has gone out of control. The Israelis, to a greater extent than Americans, are realists when it comes to military and foreign policy mostly because they have to be.

I sort of get the sense that Yates is purposefully overdramatizing things for interest's sake.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2007, 05:42:26 PM »

World War III would denote a war that is fought on a global scale. A couple of missiles launches, the Israelis going nuclear, and Syria invading the Golan Heights are the makings of a Middle Eastern War but not a world war.

It wouldn't matter; the media are just jumping to have another World War so any large scale conflict would be called a "World War" in the papers. Just think how many more papers "World War III" would sell than "Middle East War XXXXXVIII".

Hell, just look back to July/August during the Lebannon/Isreal conflict. The media was just hoping that Iran, Syria and company would jump in so they could use their "World War" tagline.

That's just my take on the matter though.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2007, 05:45:35 PM »

I sort of get the sense that Yates is purposefully overdramatizing things for interest's sake.

Quite.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2007, 06:38:37 PM »

World War III would denote a war that is fought on a global scale. A couple of missiles launches, the Israelis going nuclear, and Syria invading the Golan Heights are the makings of a Middle Eastern War but not a world war.

It wouldn't matter; the media are just jumping to have another World War so any large scale conflict would be called a "World War" in the papers. Just think how many more papers "World War III" would sell than "Middle East War XXXXXVIII".

Hell, just look back to July/August during the Lebannon/Isreal conflict. The media was just hoping that Iran, Syria and company would jump in so they could use their "World War" tagline.

That's just my take on the matter though.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot that Israel invading Lebanon was hailed as some as the start of World War III.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2007, 07:29:25 PM »

Barnes is begining to remind me of another president from Georgia.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2007, 07:32:33 PM »

Barnes is begining to remind me of another president from Georgia.

I was thinking the same thing actually.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2007, 12:02:39 AM »

you haven't updated it yet.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2007, 12:07:48 AM »

On January 5th, 2006, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez announces that he will no longer be selling oil in the United States.  Several Middle Eastern nations make similar announcements.  The sudden decrease in the oil supply creates a severe economic recession.  The stock market nearly crashes on several occasions, and investor confidence is extraordinarily low in what becomes known as the "Panic of 2006."  In order to help alleviate the effects of the Panic, President Barnes taps America's oil reserves, something most Presidents have been very hesitant to do.

Meanwhile, the United Kingdom has declared war on Russia in response to Russia's continued aid to Iran and Syria.  Within weeks, Britain destroys the Russian Navy.  Russian Vladimir Putin announces, "If the attacks on my country continue, I'll give your enemies the weapon which all fear."  This is, obviously, a reference to Russia's stockpile, and the potential of a nuclear weapon falling into the hands of Islamist fundamentalists.

"I'm not the one."

In late January, President Barnes is having serious doubts regarding his ability to lead America through this World War.  In a cabinet meeting on January 25th, Barnes informs his top advisors that he is seriously considering resigning from office, and handing the responsibility of the job to Vice President Clark.

On January 28th, President Barnes, in the time slot originally slated for his State of the Union address, speaks to the American people.  In the speech, Barnes expresses regret over his quick decision to attack Iran, the spark which started the war.  "America needs a leader to bring it through this crisis," says Barnes.  "I'm not the one.  Therefore, I am resigning the Presidency effective immediately.  At the conclusion of this speech, Wesley Clark will take the oath of office and become our nation's President.  To the American people: I am sorry.  May God Bless this great nation through our darkest period."

That evening, Wesley Clark takes the oath of office.

Wesley Clark
45th President of the United States

---------------------------------------------
Coming Next:
How will President Clark lead our nation through this war?  Will he have more success than his predecessor?  In these dangerous times, things can change very quickly, and they will.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2007, 12:11:41 AM »

Wow. Didn't see that one coming.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2007, 12:17:04 AM »

Who did Barnes and Clark appoint to replace O'connor and Rehnquist?
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2007, 12:30:04 AM »

Who did Barnes and Clark appoint to replace O'connor and Rehnquist?

I apologize for not including that.  In this scenario, both of these Justices are still on the court.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2007, 03:05:55 AM »

"I'm not the one."

In late January, President Barnes is having serious doubts regarding his ability to lead America through this World War.  In a cabinet meeting on January 25th, Barnes informs his top advisors that he is seriously considering resigning from office, and handing the responsibility of the job to Vice President Clark.

On January 28th, President Barnes, in the time slot originally slated for his State of the Union address, speaks to the American people.  In the speech, Barnes expresses regret over his quick decision to attack Iran, the spark which started the war.  "America needs a leader to bring it through this crisis," says Barnes.  "I'm not the one.  Therefore, I am resigning the Presidency effective immediately.  At the conclusion of this speech, Wesley Clark will take the oath of office and become our nation's President.  To the American people: I am sorry.  May God Bless this great nation through our darkest period."

That evening, Wesley Clark takes the oath of office.

Wesley Clark
45th President of the United States

---------------------------------------------
Coming Next:
How will President Clark lead our nation through this war?  Will he have more success than his predecessor?  In these dangerous times, things can change very quickly, and they will.

Let's hope the Clark Presidency is a good one. After all he was a General
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2007, 01:35:42 PM »

Wow Yates...talk about a curve ball being thrown! Very interersting.

Anyhow, I like Clark, despite his West Point education. I hope he excells in this story and kicks Iran's a$$.

I hope (in reality) he runs as an Independent in 2008.

Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2007, 07:29:31 PM »

Expect the next update by midnight.
Conan
conan

« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2007, 10:03:20 PM »

You should have had Barnes die in office rather than in disgrace.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2007, 12:10:17 AM »

President Clark: The Beginning

President Wesley Clark's first task is to find a Vice President.  For Clark, this is an easy decision.  He selects Secretary of State Richard Holbrooke.  In the speech he gives to announce his decision, Clark states, "I am a military man, and I need a diplomat standing beside me."  Senate Majority Leader Jon Kyl says, "We need firm leadership right now, and I cannot see anything that would disqualify Secretary Holbrooke from serving as Vice President.  I will urge all Republicans in the Senate to confirm him."  Holbrooke passes through Congress within two weeks, and is promptly sworn in as Vice President.  To replace Holbrooke as Secretary of State, President Clark chooses New Mexico Governor and former United Nations Ambassador Bill Richardson.

Clark immediately puts together a three-person team, which he dubs "The Trifecta," to lead the nation through the war.  Clark himself will lead the military strategy, along with the generals on the ground.  Vice President Holbrooke will handle diplomacy, with the assistance of Secretary Richardson.  Secretary of the Treasury Jack Lew, who, as budget director, was the architect of Clintonian economic policy, will be handling the economic aspect of the war.

On March 10th, 2006, Vice President Holbrooke appears at the United Nations and addresses the General Assembly.  In his speech, he announces the formation of a new organization, the League of Democratic Nations.  "Those who join us in this war will be included in this organization," says Holbrooke.  "Those who do not join us in this war will not be allowed in for ten years.  The United States of America will not have any diplomatic or economic relations with any nation who is not a member of this organization.  Any nation interested has six months to join."

Holbrooke's announcement is followed by a rush of nations seeking to join the League.  The day following this announcement, Chinese President Hu Jintao, whose nation's economy relies on trade with the United States, announces that his nation will end all involvement in the war, will pay five billion dollars each to the United Kingdom, Israel, and the United States, and will join the League.  Many smaller nations, including Qatar and Bahrain, also join the League. 

However, there are a few notable exceptions.  Russian President Vladimir Putin announces that his nation will not join the League, saying that "this organization is just one more example of why we had the Cold War."  Also, Iran and Syria firmly announce that they will not join, along with Venezuela.  North Korea also refuses to join.

The formation of the League sparks new economic recovery.  Qatar and Bahrain announce that they will be providing the United States with several billion dollars worth of oil in the coming year, causing the stock market to rise dramatically.  Secretary Jack Lew says, "The recession is over."

The war, however, is not.  President Clark, along with many of his top advisors, is carefully planning strategy to defeat the few remaining nations which stand against the United States and allies.  Dealing with Russia is especially delicate, as the Russian government could easily provide a nuclear weapon to one of America's enemies, or a terrorist organization.  President Clark and President Putin agree to meet in Oslo, Norway, to discuss the situation, and agree to end hostility.

On April 15th, 2006, Israeli planes bomb the Syrian capital of Damascus, and Israeli tanks and ground troops invade through the Golan Heights.  Within 48 hours, President Assad surrenders, and orders the Syrian military to destroy their weapons.  On April 20th, 2006, the Israeli occupation of Syria begins.  On April 23rd, 2006, American submarines stationed in the Red Sea launch tactical nuclear missiles to strategic military sites in Iran.  American and Israeli ground troops, along with forces from the government of Iraq, surround and blockade Iran's border. 

On Cinco de Mayo, American forces lead an invasion into Tehran with the intent to capture Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.  In a strenuous journey, five American battalions march hundreds of miles through the desert, being occasionally attacked by strains of the crumbled Iranian military, to the capital city.  On May 12th, 2006, the Iranian government announces that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has fled the nation and issues a surrender.

World War III has come to an end.

------------------------------------------------------
Coming Next:
After the war, how does the United States recover?  How will the war affect the 2006 midterm elections?  Also, a popular former President dies.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2007, 12:37:40 AM »

wow... I am really enjoying this, good job!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies