America: 2000-2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:21:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America: 2000-2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17
Author Topic: America: 2000-2016  (Read 80095 times)
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2007, 09:53:02 PM »

Instead of doing an entire show tonight, I will merely be giving a summary of potential Presidential candidates, with a description for each.  Tomorrow, I will resume the storyline.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2007, 10:51:08 PM »

Potential 2008 Presidential Candidates

Democrats

Vice President Richard Holbrooke
Now that President Clark is not running, Vice President Holbrooke seems to be the initial frontrunner.  His diplomatic leadership during World War III and his past experience would likely make him the frontrunner in the general election, as well.

Senator Paul Wellstone
A prominent peace activist, Wellstone's message could sink in with far-left voters and voters who are tired of war.

Senate Majority Leader Dick Durbin
As the leader of the Senate Democrats, Durbin has become a national leader of the party and a national spokesman for its positions.  Certainly, he is in the top tier.

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
Her last name has double the effect after her husband's death, and her solid support of President Clark during the war makes her a top contender.

Senator Mike Ciresi
As a prominent leader of mainstream Democrats, Ciresi has attained national recognition and is sure to be a major candidate if he runs.

Senator Evan Bayh
A moderate Senator with executive experience, Bayh could go far.

Secretary of State Bill Richardson
His diplomatic experience could make him a top contender, but only if Vice President Holbrooke chooses not to run.

Speaker of the House Steny Hoyer
Second in line for Presidential succession, Hoyer's visibility increased dramatically in his ascension to the speakership.

Other potential Democratic candidates include: Senator Barack Obama, Senator Ken Salazar, Senator Bill Bradley (who was chosen by the Democrats to run in 2002), House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi, Governor Janet Napolitano, and Governor Brad Henry.

Republicans

Senate Minority Leader Jon Kyl
With his visibility as a national leader of the party, and his effective opposition to the Democrats, Kyl seems to be the automatic frontrunner for the Republican nomination.

Former Vice President Tom Ridge
A Bush Administration member who is not affiliated too closely with Bush, Ridge has a solid following in the party and could go far.

Mrs. Lynne Cheney
Cheney was applauded for her efforts as Vice Presidential nominee in 2004, and some believe she should be rewarded now with the Presidential nomination.

Former President George W. Bush
Americans experienced buyer's remorse after choosing Barnes over Bush, but the feeling has recently been overshadowed by joy over Clark's performance.  If Bush enters the race, he will be an automatic frontrunner.

Governor Tim Pawlenty
First gaining fame after the 2004 Minnesota terrorist attacks, and then for surviving re-election in a very Democratic year, Pawlenty is certainly in the top tier.

Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani
America's Mayor may be America's next President, if he can convince the party base that he will be loyal on social issues.

Governor Rick Perry
A relatively popular conservative Governor, Perry could get the nomination, but only if President Bush does not run.

Governor Patrick Ballantine
After pulling off the upset of 2004 in North Carolina, Ballantine is considered by many to be a rising star in the Republican Party.

House Minority Leader Tom DeLay
Now that his goal of becoming Speaker is shattered, DeLay may try and become President instead.

Other potential Republican candidates include: Senator Trent Lott, Senator John Thune, Senator John McCain, Congressman Mike Pence, Congressman Tom Tancredo, and Former Congressman Christopher Cox.

-------------------------------------------
In addition, do not count out the possibility of a major third party/independent candidate emerging.
Who do you support?
Tomorrow will have a regular update.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2007, 11:45:16 PM »

Bush/Pawlenty sounds good to me.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2007, 12:21:28 AM »

Never before has a What If scenario kept me on the edge of my seat. I must say again Well Done Yates! I'd love to see a Democratic ticket of Richard Holbrooke-Evan Bayh, and the GOp ticket of Tom Ridge-Tim Pawlenty.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2007, 12:22:58 AM »

HOLBROOKE/BAYH 2008!!1111
Conan
conan

« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2007, 12:53:13 AM »

I'm surprised there are no party switchers!

Bradley / Richardson 08 !
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2007, 09:48:52 AM »

I hope to see a Republican ticket of Pawlenty/Kyl
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #182 on: January 09, 2007, 01:44:58 PM »

How does Barnes finish over here? Does he go back to GA in shame?
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2007, 03:52:24 PM »

How does Barnes finish over here? Does he go back to GA in shame?

I was considering mentioning this, but I felt it would be too harsh on Barnes.  Barnes basically retires from public office in shame.  Most Democrats avoid him and he avoids media attention.  We have not heard the last from him, however.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2007, 05:06:01 PM »

The next update shall be fairly early tonight; before 6:30 most likely.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2007, 05:29:48 PM »

Look foreward to it.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2007, 07:59:33 PM »

2008 Campaign: The Early Days

After a period of mourning for former President Gerald Ford, the 2008 political season begins. 

Rasmussen Reports
Potential Democratic Candidates
January 5th, 2007
Holbrooke: 47%
Wellstone: 19%
Clinton: 10%
Durbin: 8%
Pelosi: 7%
Others: 9%

Rasmussen Reports
Potential Republican Candidates
January 5th, 2007
Cheney: 18%
Kyl: 18%
Bush: 17%
Ridge: 15%
Pawlenty: 13%
Perry: 8%
Others: 11%

On January 7th, 2007, Vice President Richard Holbrooke announces that he will never run for President and will not accept any draft.  This news is greeted with intense disappointment from Democrats, Independents, and a few Republicans.  However, as Holbrooke was the strongest potential Democratic nominee, aside from Clark, most Republicans are quite pleased with this news.

The day following Holbrooke's announcement, though she insists the timing was not related, 2004 Vice Presidential nominee Lynne Cheney forms a Presidential exploratory committee.  Cheney, who is at the top of nearly every campaign poll for the Republicans, chooses former Republican National Chairman Ed Gillespie to be her campaign chairman.  When asked about running against her former running mate, Cheney replies, "It was an honor to run with George W. Bush, but it's time for America to move on."

On January 9th, 2006 (today!), Minnesota Senator Paul Wellstone announces that he will run for President, skipping the exploratory stage.  In his announcement, Wellstone expresses the need for a pacifist in the White House.

Marist College Poll
General Election Poll
January 11th, 2007
Cheney (R): 45%
Wellstone (D): 38%
Other: 10%
Undecided: 7%

On January 15th, 2007, Senator Hillary Clinton forms an exploratory committee for President.  James Carville is called to head the committee. 

The following day, House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi announces from Washington that she will be a candidate for President, while Speaker Steny Hoyer, standing beside her, will not.

On January 20th, 2007, in response to the requests of several Congressman, an election is called for House Minority Leader.  In the election, Congressman Mike Pence defeats Minority Leader Tom DeLay by ten votes.  DeLay, in a fiery speech, resigns from Congress and announces that he will run for President to be a "champion for conservatives."

On February 2nd, 2007, at a gathering of Southern Governors, both Patrick Ballatine and Rick Perry announce that they will not be candidates for President in 2008.  Their fellow Republican Governor, Tim Pawlenty, has yet to declare his intentions.

Rasmussen Reports
Democratic Primary (Announced/Exploratory Candidates)
Febuary 5th, 2007
Clinton: 45%
Wellstone: 37%
Pelosi: 15%
Undecided: 3%

Rasmussen Reports
Republican Primary (Announced/Exploratory Candidates)
February 5th, 2007
Cheney: 73%
DeLay: 17%
Undecided: 10%

-----------------------------------------------
Coming Next:
More candidates announce their intentions, the Presidential race heats up, and more.

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2007, 08:28:12 PM »

I hope it's not Lynne Cheney. I'm for Pawlenty '08!
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2007, 08:43:08 PM »

I would like to say two quick things.  First, I would like to note that we have transitioned from the realm of the past to the realm of the future.  Everything that occurs from this point on in the fiction is occurring ahead in time, no longer behind us.  It is quite a transition.
Also, I would like to announce that the winner of the final Presidential election (2016) in this fiction will be your choice.  I will go into more details about this later.  However, I believe it is an appropriate end for this work, as you all have contributed so much in the regards of enthusiasm, reviews, and urging me to continue.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2007, 08:55:15 PM »

I like Durbin/Bayh for the Dems and Ridge/Pawlenty for the GOP.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2007, 09:42:31 PM »

I would like to say two quick things.  First, I would like to note that we have transitioned from the realm of the past to the realm of the future.  Everything that occurs from this point on in the fiction is occurring ahead in time, no longer behind us.  It is quite a transition.
Also, I would like to announce that the winner of the final Presidential election (2016) in this fiction will be your choice.  I will go into more details about this later.  However, I believe it is an appropriate end for this work, as you all have contributed so much in the regards of enthusiasm, reviews, and urging me to continue.

Is there any chance that you would be interested in extending this past 2016 if it continues to be so popular?
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2007, 10:07:44 PM »

Adam, I am flattered by that question.  At this time, I do not believe I will be continuing this fiction past 2016.  One can only speculate events so far into the future.  Writing past 2016 would, for me, require too much guesswork and would not be based on solid truth.  Though this work is fiction, it is based on reality.  I could not make this work the same type of fiction if I continued it that far.  If several individuals would truly like to see events after 2016, I may write a few general updates.  However, this is not my last fiction, and I have another, different type of "What-If" work in my mind after this is completed.  In the meantime, however, I hope you enjoy this fiction; over half of it remains to be completed! Smiley
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2007, 10:10:27 PM »

Adam, I am flattered by that question.  At this time, I do not believe I will be continuing this fiction past 2016.  One can only speculate events so far into the future.  Writing past 2016 would, for me, require too much guesswork and would not be based on solid truth.  Though this work is fiction, it is based on reality.  I could not make this work the same type of fiction if I continued it that far.  If several individuals would truly like to see events after 2016, I may write a few general updates.  However, this is not my last fiction, and I have another, different type of "What-If" work in my mind after this is completed.  In the meantime, however, I hope you enjoy this fiction; over half of it remains to be completed! Smiley

I look forward to the rest of it. This is one of the best threads on this forum, IMO, and it always holds my interest. Great job!
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2007, 10:12:25 PM »

I look forward to the rest of it. This is one of the best threads on this forum, IMO, and it always holds my interest. Great job!

Thank you, Soaring Eagle.  I am glad you enjoy it.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2007, 10:33:12 PM »

Much agreed. Thanks for this wonderful peice, Yates.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2007, 10:47:08 PM »

One note on the earlier bit describing the start of the world war in Israel. I think you said that the Iranians destroyed the Western Wall, which is unlikely because the Dome of the Rock, one of the holiest Muslim sites sit on top of the Western Wall, so a Muslim would never destroy the Western Wall.

Just needed to clear that up.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2007, 10:52:37 PM »

One note on the earlier bit describing the start of the world war in Israel. I think you said that the Iranians destroyed the Western Wall, which is unlikely because the Dome of the Rock, one of the holiest Muslim sites sit on top of the Western Wall, so a Muslim would never destroy the Western Wall.

Thank you.

The missiles shot by Iran were aimed in the general vicinity of the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem.  They were not aimed precisely for the Western Wall.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2007, 03:49:07 PM »

Thank you.

The missiles shot by Iran were aimed in the general vicinity of the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem.  They were not aimed precisely for the Western Wall.

Well if they did destroy the Western Wall, which means that they also destroyed the Dome of the Rock, that would bring about a very large amount of anti-Iranian sentiment throughout the Muslim world. It would be a near equivalent of a Muslim country firing missiles at Mecca.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2007, 03:51:57 PM »

Forgive my ignorance.  Let us just imagine that this is not the case. Smiley
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2007, 04:50:46 PM »

Forgive my ignorance.  Let us just imagine that this is not the case. Smiley

It's alright I actually think that could be an interesting scenario and that's why I brought it up. Iran shoots missiles aimed at the Jewish Quarter instead some are off and damage the area around the Dome of the Mount and the Western Wall. This leads to a backlash among Muslims in the region. It's very ASB but then again IMHO the war that started was rather random.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies