America: 2000-2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:44:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America: 2000-2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17
Author Topic: America: 2000-2016  (Read 80463 times)
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 27, 2007, 12:02:10 AM »

I don't mean to be too critical, I just think it's oddly funny that the places that are blown up happen to be the places of my cultural roots. Weird coincidence isn't it? It's not unlikely for Israel, Japan, and China to blow up, it's just weird that they are in this fictional history. Despite my criticisms, I really do enjoy this fictional history, it's so detailed and creative.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #251 on: January 27, 2007, 10:58:29 AM »

I don't think that Kim Jong-Il is that insane.

You're giving him a lot of credit.

Even the craziest of people don't do things that hurt themselves.

The thing of it is though, is that southern North Korea is quite scarecly populated. Any nuclear fallout would certainly fall short of Pyongyang. Even if a fairly good number of people in North Korea were to die as a result of detonation...does Kim Jong Il really strike you as a person who would care?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2007, 10:12:33 PM »

The thing of it is though, is that southern North Korea is quite scarecly populated. Any nuclear fallout would certainly fall short of Pyongyang. Even if a fairly good number of people in North Korea were to die as a result of detonation...does Kim Jong Il really strike you as a person who would care?

I suppose you could have a point, but it should also be noted that North Korea has a huge thing of artillery pointed at Seoul and can level the city in minutes by conventional means... I'm not sure why he wouldn't just make use of that instead of using a nuke.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #253 on: January 28, 2007, 12:05:48 AM »

I suppose you could have a point, but it should also be noted that North Korea has a huge thing of artillery pointed at Seoul and can level the city in minutes by conventional means... I'm not sure why he wouldn't just make use of that instead of using a nuke.

Well, considering that it's just a story...I would imagine that it's for dramatic effect.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #254 on: January 28, 2007, 12:08:34 AM »

Well, considering that it's just a story...I would imagine that it's for dramatic effect.

Well yeah.  I'm just saying. Tongue
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: January 28, 2007, 04:49:31 PM »

Is this thread dying? Sad
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #256 on: January 28, 2007, 04:51:49 PM »

Not at all!  The next update will be tonight.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #257 on: January 28, 2007, 09:53:59 PM »

One Minute to Midnight

President Clark, immediately after learning of the situation in North Korea, calls an immediate cabinet meeting.  In the meeting, several of Clark's advisors urge Clark to militarily strike North Korea.  Clark, however, is reluctant to use military force immediately, especially after seeing the disastrous results of President Barnes' attack on Iran a few years earlier.

Clark does, however, instruct the Secretary of Defense to notify the Joint Chiefs of Staff that they should prepare a strategy for war, should the need arise.  Several aircraft carriers from Hawaii are being transported to Japan, in anticipation of a military conflict.

Meanwhile, President Hu Jintao issues an ultimatum: If North Korea does not stand down within 24 hours, China will overthrow the North Korean government.  This statement only angers Kim Jong-Il, whose aides announce that such threats will only provoke the dictator into attacking.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe declares that Japan is prepared to go to war.  Abe says, "Not only do we believe that North Korea's missiles are too unreliable to strike Japan, we also know for a fact that the North Korean military is poorly armed.  Because of these two factors, we are prepared to go to war."

The South Korean government issues a similar statement.  A government official says, "Seoul would be an unwise target for Kim to hit, and he knows that.  But if he tries, we are ready to launch a full-scale air and ground invasion or North Korea."

President Clark, in desperation, pleads with the Chinese President to retract the ultimatum, believing it will lead to wider regional war, which would spark yet another world war.  Hu compromises; he extends the ultimatum to 48 hours. 

On May 8th, the North Korean government announces that it will stand down if, and only if, it is able to meet one-on-one with a high-level United States diplomat.  The North Korean government demands that this diplomat travel to North Korea, unaccompanied by security personnel.  Though the United States government would not usually honor such a request, President Clark feels as though honoring it would be a better option than allowing a nuclear war to begin.

However, Secretary of State Bill Richardson informs the President that he will not travel to a rogue, nuclear armed nation without security.  Vice President Richard Holbrooke, himself a former United Nations Ambassador, steps up to the plate.  At 4:00 P.M. on May 8th, Holbrooke departs for Pyongyang to meet with Kim Jong-Il. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the early morning hours of May 8th, a nuclear explosion rattles the countryside of northern South Korea.  In a largely unpopulated area approximately one hundred miles south of the border, the North Korean military unleashed the first nuclear attack in over six decades.  Fifteen South Koreans were killed, but the larger implications of this strike could lead to many more deaths.

The President of South Korea orders a full-scale air and ground invasion of North Korea.  Over 300,000 South Korean troops, accompanied by hundreds of fighter jets and bomber aircraft, storm the de-militarized zone.  Upon crossing the border, they are met by thousands of North Korean troops, and bloodshed ensues.  South Korean air force planes fly further into the country, bombing farms and countryside, but stopping short of Pyongyang.  Additionally, air force jets patrol Seoul, preparing to destroy an incoming missile.

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of Chinese forces are lining up on North Korea's northern border, preparing to invade if chaos ensues in the nation.  Japan is remaining quiet, unwilling to involve itself in a conflict which would require an immense sacrifice of ground troops.

The plane carrying Vice President Holbrooke, which is now in the Eastern Pacific Ocean, is ordered to land in Honolulu and await further orders.

Kim Jong-Il, perhaps realizing that he may soon be thrown out of power, orders the launch of nuclear missiles at Seoul, Tokyo, and Beijing.  The missiles aimed at Beijing and Tokyo disintegrate above the sea, while the missile aimed at Seoul falls just south of the border, resulting in the deaths of over two hundred South Korean soldiers, as well as the spreading of nuclear radiation from north of Seoul to south of Pyongyang.

================================================

North Korea's military leaders, realizing that their dictator is not acting in the best interests of the country, stage a military coup.  Thousands of soldiers raid Pyongyang, and several generals personally capture Kim Jong-Il and inform him that he will be overthrown.  At 11:30 P.M. EST on May 8th, 2008, Kim Jong-Il is executed by his own generals.  The execution was done by a bullet to the head.

Premier Pak Pong-ju is installed as the Interim Leader of North Korea.  Pak orders martial law over the country, and publicly asks South Korea and China to hold off on military attacks. 

Chinese President Hu Jintao orders his military to wait until sunrise the next day, and attack, seeing this as an opportunity for China to take over North Korean land.  The South Korean government does not reveal what its plans are.

President Clark asks Vice President Holbrooke to return to Washington, as he believes no diplomacy will matter now.  However, Holbrooke insists that he fly to Pyongyang.  Holbrooke believes that, if he is the first foreign diplomat to recognize and greet the new North Korean government, he could influence the new leader to adopt more pro-Western ways than his predecessor.

In the early hours of May 9th, 2008, Vice President Richard Holbrooke arrives in Pyongyang, where he is greeted personally by North Korean leader Pak Pong-ju.  The two discuss affairs and engage in small talk.  However, some substantial headway results.  Holbrooke convinces Pak to abandon North Korea's nuclear program, to allow his nation to be opened up to Western culture, and to end all human rights violations.  Pak surprisingly agrees.  In his words, an alliance with the United States of America will help his nation more than any military conflict. 

After the meeting, President Clark asks the governments of China, South Korea, and Japan to call off all attacks on North Korea, and to recognize the new government.  All nations do so. 

War has been averted, and a new alliance has been formed.

-----------------------------------------------
Next Update
Now that war has been averted, attention shifts back to the 2008 Presidential campaign.  There are only a few more updates until Election Night.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #258 on: January 28, 2007, 10:49:35 PM »

very good, I want more!
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: January 29, 2007, 05:51:51 PM »

This will be updated tonight.  There will only be a few more updates until Election Night 2008.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #260 on: January 29, 2007, 07:24:45 PM »

Very interesting and believable. I look forward to seeing how this influences the Presidential race.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #261 on: January 29, 2007, 09:22:47 PM »

Summer 2008

The actions of the Clark Administration, particularly of Vice President Holbrooke, are universally praised.

Rasmussen Reports
May 15th, 2008
Clark Approval Rating
Approve: 85%
Disapprove: 11%
Unsure: 4%

Following the conflict in North Korea, there is a renewed "Draft Holbrooke" campaign which attempts to take delegates away from the declared candidates and have them nominate Holbrooke for President.  However, Holbrooke once again affirms his commitment not to run for President or accept a nomination, and endorses Dick Durbin.

The campaign is largely quiet until July, when the conventions begin.  The Republican National Convention is held in Phoenix, Arizona, in honor of Arizona's native son, Jon Kyl.  The convention revolves around the "New American Century" theme that has been prevalent throughout the campaign season.  The keynote address, delivered by House Minority Leader Mike Pence, is widely praised, and, in many ways, overshadows the speeches by Jon Kyl and Tim Pawlenty.  Most pundits describe Kyl's speech as "safe" - using good language and sticking to the talking points, but not particularly bold or revolutionary.

The Democratic National Convention is held Chicago, home of native son Dick Durbin.  Early in the convention, delegates witness speeches Speaker Steny Hoyer and House Majority Leader Ed Markey which appear to attack President Clark's moderate domestic record.  The keynote address is given by Brad Henry, who urges all Democrats to unite behind the Durbin/Richardson ticket after a divisive primary season.  The speeches given by President Clark, Vice President Holbrooke, and Secretary of State and Vice Presidential nominee Bill Richardson are all widely praised.  In the three speeches, the men talk of the "Clark Record," which consists of bringing an end to World War III, solving a crisis in North Korea, and pursuing a centrist domestic agenda.  In his acceptance speech, Dick Durbin says, "We have seen what can be done when America is once again a world leader, and not a world cop."  Later in his speech, Durbin pledges to continue Clark's record.  The speech is widely hailed as the finest acceptance speech in decades.

Rasmussen Reports
September 1st, 2008
Presidential Election
Durbin: 43%
Kyl: 41%
Wellstone: 6%
DeLay: 2%
Undecided: 8%

The conventions have overshadowed the minor campaigns of Paul Wellstone and Tom DeLay.  DeLay, however, has been constantly making extremist remarks.  His campaign website tells of DeLay's plan to "Re-Christianize" America.  Political analyst Larry Sabato says in September, "DeLay's extremism makes Jon Kyl look moderate, and is probably helping him with moderate voters."

On September 10th, 2008, the dynamics of the race change.  Paul Wellstone ends his Presidential bid.  "I came in this race to make a statement - a statement that our nation could use some peace," says Wellstone.  "There is a candidate who shares the same vision, and his name is Dick Durbin."  After Durbin secured the nomination, Wellstone had difficulty raising funds and finding support, as he was largely unable to differentiate himself from the similarly liberal Durbin.  Wellstone's exit ensures that he will not act as a "spoiler" to Durbin in the election.

On September 15th, 2008, the debates will begin.

----------------------------------------------------------
Next Update
The debates - who will win and who will make a damning error?  Who will control Congress?  There are only a couple more updates until Election Night 2008.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »

Oh, looking REALLY good Yates. Can't wait till the next update.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #263 on: January 30, 2007, 09:21:13 AM »

Teacher Hash gives this work 100. Good job!

What would be helpful now is just a simple list of EVERY ticket: President and VP for all major candidates!
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2007, 05:35:15 PM »

Now that North Korea isn't communist, will Korea re-unify?
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2007, 09:14:15 PM »

Bacon King, you will soon find out.

The next update will be tomorrow.  I have some work that must be finished tonight.
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #266 on: January 31, 2007, 04:39:16 PM »

A very long update will be posted tonight.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #267 on: January 31, 2007, 04:54:34 PM »

Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: January 31, 2007, 10:43:48 PM »

The Debates

Note: One question will be focused on in each debate.

First Presidential Debate

This debate focuses on foreign policy.  The questions will focus primarily on Iran, North Korea, and general United States foreign policy.  The anchor is Jim Lehrer.

LEHRER: This question is for Senator Kyl.  Senator, in the past, you have spoken in support of United States military action.  You supported the Iraq War, initially supporting President Barnes’ attack on Iran, and you urged President Clark to attack North Korea.  Under what conditions would you, as President, bring this nation to war?

KYL: Thank you for the question, Jim.  When you look at my record that you just summarized, you can see that I’ve supported wars which seemed necessary at the time.  In 2002, I believed that Saddam Hussein was a direct threat to us.  In 2005, I believed that Iran’s nuclear program threatened us.  And, recently, I felt that Kim Jong-Il was a threat to our national interests.  I will make a promise tonight to the American people: I will never bring this nation to war unless there is a direct threat to our national interests.  If any other nation or any terrorist group threatens us, I will never hesitate to use our full military might to protect this nation.  However, I will not be careless.  I won’t use the Barnes method and attack nations on a whim.  You can expect a Kyl Administration to be firm, but cautious, when taking this nation to war.

Vice Presidential Debate

This debate, between Tim Pawlenty and Bill Richardson, is moderated by Gwen Ifil.

IFIL: This question is the same for both candidates.  Gentlemen, if the time comes when you must ascend to the Presidency, what would be the first thing you would do?

PAWLENTY: Gwen, I pray that I will never ascend to the Presidency, except for in an election. (Laughter)  In all seriousness, the first thing I will do is say a prayer.  I would pray for guidance and wisdom.  I would then gather an emergency meeting with my cabinet, my top advisors, and Congressional leaders to discuss immediate policy.  If, God forbid, the President was assassinated, or there was some terrorist activity, I would need to respond quickly and efficiently.  And generally, I would be an active President.  If I ascend to the Presidency, I would not have been elected to the post, but I will serve the American people as if they elected me.  I would be a strong President, but one who is open to compromise.

RICHARDSON: I agree with Tim; if I became President suddenly and unexpectedly, I would first of all pray to the Lord.  I would then seek to establish myself as the new leader.  Like Tim said, I would hold a cabinet meeting.  I would meet with advisors to begin establishing administration policy.  I would meet with leaders in Congress.  However, and I think most importantly, within my first few days in office, I would address the American people to help them get to know me better.  I, too, would be an active President, but I would never lose my contacts with the American people.

Second Presidential Debate

This debate is a “Town Hall” debate, in which audience members may ask questions.

AUDIENCE MEMBER: This question is for both candidates.  How similar would your Presidency be to that of President Clark?

DURBIN: Thanks for the question.  I firmly believe that President Wesley Clark has been the greatest President in the past half century, definitely the best President in the past decade.  He should be a model for every future President to abide by.  As Senate Majority Leader, I have been instrumental in getting much of President Clark’s agenda passed, and, as President, I would continue the Clark style of getting things done by building bridges across party lines.  As leader of the Senate, I have worked with people such as my opponent, Senator Kyl, to pass legislation which is important for America’s future.  As President, I will continue that tradition.

KYL: Well, let me say that it’s pretty amusing to hear Senator Durbin talk about his role in getting President Clark’s policy passed in Congress, because, as far as I can recall, he opposed most of it.  When President Clark submitted his domestic agenda for earlier this year, it was I, and the Republicans in Congress, who were the primary supporters.  I, personally, rallied those in my party to support every single piece of the President’s agenda.  Senator Durbin and his liberal friends in the House actually didn’t support most of it.  Over a hundred Democrats in the House voted against President Clark’s balanced budget proposal, for example, because they felt it would make government too small.  My record over the past two years is supporting President Clark, and truly reaching across party lines, and that is a record I will be proud to continue as President.

Third Presidential Debate

This debate, moderated by Bob Schieffer, will focus on domestic policy.

SCHIEFFER: Senator Durbin, though you haven’t been exactly clear on the issue, you seem to at least tacitly support President Clark’s proposed balanced budget amendment.  Which programs would you, as President, cut to achieve the goal of a balanced budget?

DURBIN: Well, Bob, I’ll begin by saying that I firmly support the balanced budget, and I will do whatever I can to achieve it, as you can see by my votes in Congress.  Let me be blunt: I will cut military funding.  We are spending too much money on the military, which is run by an inefficient bureaucracy headquartered in the Pentagon.  I won’t authorize a dime to be spent on military waste, money that just goes nowhere.  I will decrease the military budget by 50% in my first term in office.  I will not cut any social programs, including welfare, Medicare/Medicaid, and social security.  We need to be looking for solutions to our budget problems that don’t screw over the American people.

Rasmussen Reports
October 15th, 2008
Post-Debate Polls
Which ticket won the debates?
Kyl/Pawlenty: 65%
Durbin/Richardson: 30%
Unsure: 5%

Durbin’s blunt statement about military funding, as well as his questionable language, hurt him, but Bill Richardson’s gravitas in the Vice Presidential debate helped the ticket slightly.  In addition, Kyl’s attacks on Durbin’s record secured his victories in the debates.

Next Update
There is only one more update left until Election Night 2008.  Prepare for some last minute surprises, and then the real-time election night finale.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #269 on: January 31, 2007, 10:52:03 PM »

Will you be posting Senate results as well?
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #270 on: January 31, 2007, 10:55:29 PM »

Will you be posting Senate results as well?

I will most likely mention some of these on Election Night.  The House races will be mentioned in detail, however, as the House balance is up for grabs.  Speaker Hoyer or Speaker Pence - take your pick! Smiley
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #271 on: February 01, 2007, 08:33:08 AM »

OMGZ! Another great update!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #272 on: February 01, 2007, 10:35:54 AM »

Yeah this is so good right now? Yates can I have that full list of tickets from most/all parties running?
Yates

Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: February 01, 2007, 05:11:53 PM »

Thank you all.

Hashemite, the tickets running in this election are:

Republican: Jon Kyl/Tim Pawlenty
Democratic: Dick Durbin/Bill Richardson
Consitution: Tom DeLay/Jim Gilchrist

An Independent ticket of Paul Wellstone/Dennis Kucinich was running, but dropped out and endorsed Durbin.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: February 01, 2007, 07:10:26 PM »

Who has the prohibition party nominated for president? Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length