primary systems
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:04:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  primary systems
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: primary systems  (Read 3556 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2004, 12:24:28 PM »

closed registration - one can only vote in a party's primary if they are a registered member of that party.

open registration - both registered members of a party and registered independents can vote in the primary.

closed non-registration - the system in Minnesota. One does not register as a member of a party. However, they can only vote for candidates for the offices of ONE party each election. one may note vote in the primaries of different parties for different offices

open non-registration - I believe this is the system in Washington and Montana. One may vote in only one party's primary for each office, but they may vote in another party's primary for a different office.

jungle primary - the Louisiana system. All the candidates run against each other in the first round, and if no one tops 50%, the top two face each other in the run off.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 12:27:32 PM »

closed registration is the best.

The worst has to be the way Louisiana does their primaries.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 12:28:54 PM »

I find no sense a system that allows people of different parties to help pick my party's nominees.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 12:29:00 PM »

The one which has members of that party and Inds
Tory

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 12:39:16 PM »

I find no sense a system that allows people of different parties to help pick my party's nominees.

Yes, but lets say that there is a race in which the Republican has no chance of winnning.  There are two Democrats going up for the nomination. One is very liberal, the other is quite conservative. You would obviously rather have the conservative Democrat than the liberal one in this particular office. Why should you not be able to vote in this Democratic primary? This ensures that you get the man(or woman) you think is better for the job.

I think that any registered person should be able to vote in a primary. It is much more democratic.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 12:52:02 PM »

Sure I'd rather have the conservative Dem representing me but that is not my party's primary. If you are a registered member of a political party, you should vote in your party's primary.

Tory

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 12:56:19 PM »

Sure I'd rather have the conservative Dem representing me but that is not my party's primary. If you are a registered member of a political party, you should vote in your party's primary.

Yes, but then that's not the will of the people. What we want is a fairer and more democratic system, right?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 01:03:41 PM »

Yes, but then that's not the will of the people.

It's the will of the people of that political party. If you really want to vote in another party's primary you are able to change parties and do so.
Tory

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 01:08:27 PM »

Yes, but we don't want only people in a certain party to have control. Then the minority isn't heard. It is better that we can settle on a representitive that the great majority can live with. And you haven't adressed my biggest point. It is not more democratic to have primaries open to those who want to vote?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 01:11:59 PM »

If someone wants to vote in the other primary, they can change their registration. We aren't telling them they can't do that. I don't understand this point that it's more democratic.
Tory

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 01:19:15 PM »

If someone wants to vote in the other primary, they can change their registration. We aren't telling them they can't do that. I don't understand this point that it's more democratic.

How can you not understand that? Why should someone be forced to change thier registration to vote for a candidate? That is unfair. If everyone can vote in a primary then more people have thier voices heard and have more of a say in government. That's democracy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 01:27:39 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2004, 01:28:16 PM by Keystone Phil »

How can you not understand that? Why should someone be forced to change thier registration to vote for a candidate? That is unfair. If everyone can vote in a primary then more people have thier voices heard and have more of a say in government. That's democracy.

If a person wants to go back and forth between GOP and Dem primaries during the years, then they should just become Independents. I can understand an Independent voting in a primary for either of the two major parties but I don't like the idea that members of Democratic party can pick the GOP nominee and vice versa.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 01:48:04 PM »

closed non-registration, such as is used in South Carolina is the best system in my opinion.  The state should not be involved in party membership lists, so I am against the registration options. I also don't favor cross-party primaries, so the result is that I favor the closed non-registration option.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 04:52:36 PM »

Open non-registration
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 04:55:52 PM »

closed registration is the best.

The worst has to be the way Louisiana does their primaries.

Louisiana's system is actually kinda logical went you consider the political dynamic of the state.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 05:59:24 PM »

closed registration.  They're for people of that party
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies