Confederate States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:45:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Confederate States
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Confederate States  (Read 14966 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2004, 06:36:26 AM »

I disagree. Both sides were equally drilled. The problem was the flow of new recruits on both sides caused discipline problems. Gilliams tactics were FAR superior to Hardees (what a lousy book). I have read both and they are very interesting.

Hardee would have done a better job than Hood, whether his book sucks or not.

For one thing, I doubt that Hardee would have got half the Confederate command killed in one battle and for another, Hardee wouldn't have been stoned out on opium half the time.

Was Hood stoned on Opium? I suppose his doctors gave it to him for the constant pain he was in due to his amputated leg and arm... quite a tragic figure Hood, great Divisional comander, middling Corps commander, and indecisive and unlucky Army Commander, its actually amazing how close Hood got to destroying Schofield's Army prior to Franklin and then Thomas would have been greatly outnumbered at Nashville...

I would say Johnston should have remained in command at Atlanta his conduct during seven pines in 1862 was exemplary and had he not been wounded (when Lee took over) while he would not have demonstrated the brilliance of Lee he would probably have pushed the Federals back and then taken a defensive stand behind the Rappahannock near Fredericksburg... but perhaps Jefferson Davis' worst decision during his presidency was to remove Johnston from command of the Confederate Armies defending Atlanta, had he remained in command he planed for a series of counter attacks, that unlike Hoods may well have been better coordinated that might well have mauled Sherman's army a little and left it weakened, while a siege would still be likely it is also probable that the siege would have lasted longer and the Confederate Armies would have been in far better shape than they where after Ezra Church and so able to resist Sherman’s’ flanking of the City in September...    

As for Hardee he was a good, solid Corps commander, however at Missionary Ridge he really fowled up the deployment of his Corps, but that aside he was a capable and reliable, Pat Cleburne should most defiantly have received Corps command in the Army of Tennessee (which in saved from destruction on more than one occasion) he was also a good friend of Hardee (did he not marry Hardee’s daughter?) and trusted by his Corps commander implicitly, instead Hood advanced to Corps command, and while Polk was not as bad as many like to argue, Hood did not balance the command of the army and in fact wrecked a number of Johnston’s planned attacks during the Atlanta campaign.  

I always thought Johnston to be a really great person as well as a capable commander, at Sherman’s funeral he was a pawl bearing and, despite being in his 80’s, when it began to pour with rain he refused to put his hat on when friends insisted that he should saying, “where Sherman in my place and I in his he would not put on his hat” he then died shortly after from pneumonia.                

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2004, 08:55:54 AM »

Joe Johnston and PGT Beauregard. What a duo! Davis did not like either, what a fool he was.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2004, 09:10:24 AM »

wow, I thought i knew a lot about the civil war {much more than my schoolmates}, but I know very little compared to yall  Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2004, 09:25:32 AM »

wow, I thought i knew a lot about the civil war {much more than my schoolmates}, but I know very little compared to yall  Smiley

I know very little. The civil war is a ongoing study.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2004, 09:27:55 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2004, 09:30:21 AM by Ben »

Joe Johnston and PGT Beauregard. What a duo! Davis did not like either, what a fool he was.

Neither where geniuses, of the standard of say Forest, Jackson or Lee  and on the Federal side Grant and Sherman... But Johnson's actions during the Seven Pines, the Atlanta Campaign and the Bentonville Campaign show that he was indeed a gifted commander while Beauregard is often dismissed as a vain and untalented commander his defence of the port of Charleston from a massive Union Army and even his rescuing of the Army of the Mississippi after the battle of Shiloh show that while he was certainly moody and vain he was also a capable commander.  

In addition he did have a good grasp of “grand strategy” and while at times his recommendations may have been derided as fanciful, with hindsight many where in fact fairly reasonable, at least in their essence and such a broad outlook was something that Lee in particular certainly lacked, sadly.    
ijohn57s

« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2004, 08:16:19 PM »

Can someone tell me how to create and post maps on this forum?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2004, 08:21:32 PM »

You can create maps through Paint on your computer. You have to have a website or have someone you know host the picture for you. Check out www.freewebs.com that's who I use. Once you upload a picture or want to use a picture from any site this is how you post it here..

1) Right click over the picture
2) Go down to properties
3) Highlight the section that says Address
4) Click Copy
5) Go to the normal post reply, click paste.
6) Around the link put the following [ img ]  and at the end of the link put this [ /img ]. Except you need to close the [] against the phrase img.
ijohn57s

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2004, 08:35:54 PM »

You can create maps through Paint on your computer. You have to have a website or have someone you know host the picture for you. Check out www.freewebs.com that's who I use. Once you upload a picture or want to use a picture from any site this is how you post it here..

1) Right click over the picture
2) Go down to properties
3) Highlight the section that says Address
4) Click Copy
5) Go to the normal post reply, click paste.
6) Around the link put the following [ img ]  and at the end of the link put this [ /img ]. Except you need to close the [] against the phrase img.

Thank you. I'll give it a try.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies