Iowa poll shocker: Edwards and Obama tied for first; Clinton in fourth!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:15:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Iowa poll shocker: Edwards and Obama tied for first; Clinton in fourth!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Iowa poll shocker: Edwards and Obama tied for first; Clinton in fourth!  (Read 2993 times)
ndcohn
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 11:32:43 PM »

does anyone have any insight on hillary's chances in Nevada? Clearly she has an uphill battle in IA/SC and NH looks to be a big clash between Obama and Clinton.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 11:38:11 PM »

I'm not convinced the media will pay much attention to Nevada.  Maybe Richardson can do well there, maybe he can't.
Deano963

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 11:56:49 PM »

does anyone have any insight on hillary's chances in Nevada? Clearly she has an uphill battle in IA/SC and NH looks to be a big clash between Obama and Clinton.

I am very convinced that Hillary will not beat Edwards in Nevada, as Edwards has very, very strong support of the labor unions in Nevada. That dosen't mean Edwards will necessarily win Nevada, however. Obama could win, but I don't think Hillay can.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 06:30:48 AM »

Terrible news for Vilsack and Hillary.
Great news for Edwards and Obama.

Vilsack will keep gaining in the polls. Do you think he won't be spending at least 80% of his time driving around Iowa to get support? He has the time and ability to meet every single Iowa Democrat if he wants.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 03:28:32 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2006, 03:30:17 PM by jfern »

It might be a real Edwards/Obama horserace.

Perhaps:

Iowa: Obama
Nevada: Edwards
New Hampshire: Obama
South Carolina: Edwards
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 03:58:39 PM »

Vilsack will keep gaining in the polls. Do you think he won't be spending at least 80% of his time driving around Iowa to get support? He has the time and ability to meet every single Iowa Democrat if he wants.

Very true, but if he spends all his resources on Iowa, he's gonna be slaughtered in New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina. I expect that Vilsack's candidacy will be similar to Sen. Tom Harkin's candidacy in 1992.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 03:59:44 PM »

Perhaps:

As someone else pointed out, if Edwards is tied with Obama in Iowa, there's no way he can win South Carolina, where approaching 50% of Democrats are black.

@hughento: Maybe, but the people of Iowa know him already. He's been their governor for a while, and he's campaigned before. More campaigning won't help him as much as it would help an out-of-stater.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2006, 06:40:06 PM »

Perhaps:

Obama will almost surely win South Carolina, with its high black population. I think Iowa and NH are real tossups.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2006, 06:54:36 PM »

Very true, but if he spends all his resources on Iowa, he's gonna be slaughtered in New Hampshire, Nevada, and South Carolina. I expect that Vilsack's candidacy will be similar to Sen. Tom Harkin's candidacy in 1992.

Only he isn't even going to win Iowa.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2006, 06:56:59 PM »

Perhaps:

That would be so great if Hillary didn't win even one of those.
sethm0

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2006, 11:35:50 PM »

I think everyone on this forum seriously underestimates Hillary's chances. I'm not saying she's my favorite, but consider:

Unlike Obama, Edwards and Vilsack, Hillary has yet to spend any time at all in Iowa or New Hampshire. She has yet to spend any money on putting her name out in those states. The only money she has spent has been on behind the scenes, laying the ground work type stuff. The other candidates have all essentially begun running for President. Hillary has done all she can to avoid the appearance of running.

It's only a matter of time before the other shoe drops. When she starts spending all that money and kicks that massive operation into gear, her poll numbers in primary states will begin to rise dramatically.

I am not predicting a Hillary victory necessarily, just saying that anyone on this site or elsewhere who thinks that she is not still the frontrunner does not see the whole picture.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2006, 01:30:31 AM »

I think everyone on this forum seriously underestimates Hillary's chances. I'm not saying she's my favorite, but consider:

Unlike Obama, Edwards and Vilsack, Hillary has yet to spend any time at all in Iowa or New Hampshire. She has yet to spend any money on putting her name out in those states. The only money she has spent has been on behind the scenes, laying the ground work type stuff. The other candidates have all essentially begun running for President. Hillary has done all she can to avoid the appearance of running.

It's only a matter of time before the other shoe drops. When she starts spending all that money and kicks that massive operation into gear, her poll numbers in primary states will begin to rise dramatically.

I am not predicting a Hillary victory necessarily, just saying that anyone on this site or elsewhere who thinks that she is not still the frontrunner does not see the whole picture.
you're correct.  I still consider Hillary to be the clear frontrunner.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2006, 01:36:08 AM »

you're correct.  I still consider Hillary to be the clear frontrunner.

You and the Mainstream Media. Iowa may end up deciding the whole thing again though.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies