Omaha World-Herald: Bloggers urge Hagel to seek presidency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:31:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Omaha World-Herald: Bloggers urge Hagel to seek presidency
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Omaha World-Herald: Bloggers urge Hagel to seek presidency  (Read 1708 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »

2 of those listed are my blogs--students and MI.  I am referred to as "a high school student in MI," but not named.

Bloggers urge Hagel to seek presidency

BY JAKE THOMPSON

WASHINGTON - The ringleader is a Ph.D. candidate in South Carolina.

Chuck Hagel

Another works as a GOP consultant in Boston. A third is a defense contractor in Albuquerque, N.M. And a fourth is a high school student in Michigan.

They have never met Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., and know him only through his speeches, writings and TV talk show appearances. But they're excited about his possible presidential campaign.

They are among members of a far-flung, Internet-based grass-roots drive promoting a Hagel candidacy in 2008.

"I'd love to see Hagel elected president or vice president," said David Pyne, the Albuquerque defense contractor. "The sooner he announces, the better."

While Hagel has spent the holiday season with family and mulling a possible presidential bid, several dozen people like Pyne have been clattering away on computer keys hoping he will say yes.

Charles Hinderliter uses his "Chuck Hagel for President in 2008" Web log to post copies of Hagel's speeches, offer advice to supporters on encouraging a Hagel bid, highlight references to Hagel in news coverage and provide links to other pro-Hagel sites.

Since going online 11 months ago, Hinderliter's site has attracted more than 8,500 unique visitors. He's heard from liberal to moderate Democrats, staunch conservatives and independents, all intrigued by Hagel as a presidential candidate.

"It's generally based on his integrity, leadership and his foreign policy views," said Hinderliter, a doctoral candidate in political science at the University of South Carolina.

Hinderliter picked Hagel for his social conservative voting record, internationalist foreign policy views and call for civility in politics.

"He's the only one who fits," Hinderliter said. "I think he would bring the level of discourse up in this country."

Other than sending interested people copies of his speeches, newspaper opinion page essays he's written and articles that mention him, Hagel, who declined to comment on the blog effort, has taken few apparent steps toward launching a presidential campaign.

"We're not even hearing a faint buzz about a Hagel candidacy at this point," said Nathan Gonzales, political editor at the Rothenberg Political Report, a Washington newsletter that tracks campaigns.

The Internet buzz on Hagel is similar to that on other lesser-known possible candidates. But it's dwarfed by the online chatter about perceived Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton. One independent Internet site launched months ago on behalf of the New York senator has drawn more than 1 million visits.

Jeff Gulko, a former aide to New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, runs a Web site promoting Richardson as a Democratic prospect. It has attracted more than 5,000 new visitors in two months. And a blog promoting Republican Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee is drawing 1,000 visits a day, its backer said.

The Internet invaded presidential politicking in a major way in 2004, when an obscure governor from Vermont, Howard Dean, used it to connect supporters with one another and to raise millions of dollars. That ignited his campaign and drew national attention.

Hagel backers are doing what they can to encourage the Nebraska senator and one another through a half-dozen blogs, such as "Students for Hagel," "Chuck Hagel 2008 Google Group" and "Michigan for Hagel 2008."

For many of those supporters, Hagel's criticisms about the Bush administration's handling of the conflict in Iraq ring loudly.

"All the Republican presidential candidates are wrong on the war, except Hagel," said Pyne, a vice president of the National Federation of Republican Assemblies.

He plans to invite Hagel to the group's winter meeting, which will be held in Austin, Texas, in February. He said he admires Hagel's Vietnam War experience and conservative orientation, as seen in Hagel's votes against the No Child Left Behind Act and the new Medicare prescription drug program.

Jeremy Mullin, a Boston area political consultant, signed up to receive online news tips to track Hagel, and he talks up a Hagel presidential campaign on blogs.

"Hagel has never changed what he's thought about the Iraq war," he said. "He speaks his mind."

Mullin isn't worried that Hagel is lagging behind candidates with active campaigns. "As long as people know what he's about, they'll give him a consideration," Mullin said.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 07:06:04 PM »

He's not going to run, and, even if he did, he'd just further crowd the center-right field and ensure a far-right primary victory and a general election defeat.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 07:17:46 PM »

He's not going to run, and, even if he did, he'd just further crowd the center-right field and ensure a far-right primary victory and a general election defeat.

Hey, I like the sound of that; let's get him in the running... Tongue
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 07:23:15 PM »

Honestly, it wouldn't. The only three real candidates are Giuliani (who may not run or last long), McCain, and Romney.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 07:36:08 PM »

Honestly, it wouldn't. The only three real candidates are Giuliani (who may not run or last long), McCain, and Romney.

I know everyone thinks Romney is a serious contender but I really don't at this point. He polls like crap in general elections even against the nobody Democrats like Tom Vilsack, he is more liberal than McCain on just about every possible issue, almost half of the country refuses to vote for a Mormon (and more of those people are Republican than anyone else), he isn't considered a national "hero" like Giuliani and he is still polling in the single digits in every primary state (including NH).

Sorry this has just really been bothering me lately.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »

I know everyone thinks Romney is a serious contender but I really don't at this point. He polls like crap in general elections even against the nobody Democrats like Tom Vilsack, he is more liberal than McCain on just about every possible issue, almost half of the country refuses to vote for a Mormon (and more of those people are Republican than anyone else), he isn't considered a national "hero" like Giuliani and he is still polling in the single digits in every primary state (including NH).

I've never quite understood why Romney is considered a frontrunner either, let alone why many people seem to think he will win both the primary and the general election.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 07:38:54 PM »

I've never quite understood why Romney is considered a frontrunner either, let alone why many people seem to think he will win both the primary and the general election.

Every GOP Presidential field has a conservative frontrunner. In 2008, it's Governor Romney, unless Huckabee gets in and forces Romney down in polls. Look at how he polls in GOP primary polls, taking out Gingrich, he is #3.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 07:43:56 PM »

Every GOP Presidential field has a conservative frontrunner. In 2008, it's Governor Romney, unless Huckabee gets in and forces Romney down in polls. Look at how he polls in GOP primary polls, taking out Gingrich, he is #3.

John McCain is the conservative frontrunner.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 07:45:19 PM »

Yes, he is the frontrunner among conservatives despite his sometimes moderate leanings. I think that is noble of the GOP. I know many independents and democrats who are openly supporting McCain, but feared he wouldn't last through a GOP primary.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 07:45:54 PM »

I think they like to pretend he's a moderate (in the hopes that will help him in the general election), even though they know the right-wing command structure of the Republican party is behind him. We've had enough of Republican deceit and extremism.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 07:47:41 PM »

I think they like to pretend he's a moderate (in the hopes that will help him in the general election), even though they know the right-wing command structure of the Republican party is behind him. We've had enough of Republican deceit and extremism.

And we are ready for your leftist hippie "incense and peppermints" politics? Gimme a break.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 09:19:21 PM »

Hagel aside--unless the #1 guy in the year before is really great (Reagan--don't debate this--he was just really popular), the "#1" guy (or girl) won't win.  Everybody likes Hillary and McCain and Giuliani b/c they've heard of all them.  Name recognition is very 1-sided @ this point.  And the fact that 1/2 of this forum can't see that is amazing.  Right now it's not even a popularity contest.  It's just a poll of "have you heard this name __________?"
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 09:27:45 PM »

Ditto Grin
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 10:13:48 PM »

And we are ready for your leftist hippie "incense and peppermints" politics? Gimme a break.

Hey man, Strawberry Alarm Clock rocks!
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 10:37:53 PM »

I like Hagel. I would vote for him. Having said that, if he were to enter the race, I wouldn't give him much of a chance to win the primary.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 12:26:45 AM »

I like Hagel. I would vote for him. Having said that, if he were to enter the race, I wouldn't give him much of a chance to win the primary.

You interested in blogging for him?
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 12:31:07 AM »

You interested in blogging for him?

I simply do not have the time, got a new job. I might buy a button or something, though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies