question for the americans....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:47:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  question for the americans....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: question for the americans....  (Read 10334 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2006, 03:43:09 AM »

they should be overwhelmed that after all this we would even allow them to exist as a continent.

Canada is a continent?

I thank the United States for this new heightened designation.

Excuse...exist on the same continent with the United States

If the United States decided that it didn't want to allow Canada to exist, exactly what do you think the international reaction to that would be?  The United States is not an island that can exist independently of any other country.

Only one glorious nation can be an island and a continent at a time.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2006, 10:32:58 PM »

I feel closer to the UK because, not only am I mostly from England/Ireland, but they used to rule us and we have similar documents to theirs, similar laws to theirs, et cetera.  And they forced us to become the nation we are today.  Canada did none of that stuff for us.  They're more like a weird sibling.

But you don't have to like your siblings, you just have to live on the same continent as they do.

Rin-chan
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2006, 03:35:42 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2006, 03:39:33 AM by phknrocket1k »

Wouldn't that also mean that India, Pakistan, Hong Kong, Egypt, South Africa, Nigeria, Ghana are 'siblings' of the US and Canada, since they were all at one point ruled by the UK?

Perhaps half-siblings?

You know at one time the sun never set on the British Empire. Time for some shades.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2006, 10:06:58 AM »

20 years ago, I would have said Canada.  Today, it's the UK.

I think I would have to agree with that statement. I used to cross into Canada many times per year from the mid 1950's through the early 1970's. It was always easy and I always enjoyed traveling in Canada. I mostly crossed over into Ontario (from Michigan) and usually either at Sarnia or Windsor. Didn't cross again until the late 1980's or early 1990's but it was still the same except for the metric conversion. Last time I crossed was in 2002 at Niagara Falls. Big change! I doubt I will be going back anytime soon. If I want to be treated like that I'll just go to Manhattan!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2006, 10:09:34 AM »

the canadians...ugh.  no offense to any canadian on the board, but theyve always struck me as know-it-alls.  the time i was accosted at the border like a common terrorist didnt help my opinion any.  but, in fairness, that was quebec.

If you're going to judge all Canadians based on Quebec, then I'm going to judge all Americans based on Utah.

no, no, no.  i dont judge all canadians based on quebecers.  but damn if they werent rude.

and to the previous poster, no im pretty sure i dont look like a terrorist.  i think i probably look like a really dorky, skinny guy.
Most terrorists do.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2006, 11:17:52 AM »

Canada, I suppose, but one of my brother in laws is Canadian.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies