question for the americans....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:29:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  question for the americans....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: question for the americans....  (Read 10279 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2006, 09:34:35 PM »

The only thing I have against the Brits is what they did to my people, by which I mean the Irish.

With all due respect 'your people' are your fellow Americans Smiley My mothers side of the family are Irish, (and French, and closely at that) but 'my people' are Scottish. I never understood this romanticism with the Irish that pervades parts of America.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2006, 09:43:47 PM »

The only thing I have against the Brits is what they did to my people, by which I mean the Irish.

With all due respect 'your people' are your fellow Americans Smiley My mothers side of the family are Irish, (and French, and closely at that) but 'my people' are Scottish. I never understood this romanticism with the Irish that pervades parts of America.

neither have i.

here in boston it is just sickening.  most of the so called irish around here are little more than an irish last name. 

some of these jokers resort to refering to themselves as 'irish'.  it is lol funny.

most of my ancestors were from the uk, but id never, ever call myself 'british' or even 'british-american'
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2006, 10:12:14 PM »

who do you feel a closer connection or kinship to...great britain or canada?

the uk for me.  not only because my people came from there, but they seem to be the most  pro-american.

the canadians...ugh.  no offense to any canadian on the board, but theyve always struck me as know-it-alls.  the time i was accosted at the border like a common terrorist didnt help my opinion any.  but, in fairness, that was quebec.

I agree.  Though there I have always liked the individual Canadians I have met, I am not a big fan of Candidan culture as a whole, or their whole "we hate the US" inferiority complex thing.

Plus, the Brits are good allies, the Canadians don't strike me as the kind of people I would want to have to count on in most circumstances.

Roll Eyes
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2006, 12:13:20 AM »

who do you feel a closer connection or kinship to...great britain or canada?

What would even be the basis for kinship with Canada?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2006, 12:19:59 AM »

It is hard for Americans to think of Canadians as "foreigners," IMO. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006, 12:30:34 AM »

Why? The fact that Americans seldomly know anything about Canada is a sign to me that it is pretty foreign.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2006, 01:35:47 AM »

Oh, and I pick Canada, since I am half Canadian and b/c it is a MUCH cooler country than Great Britain.

That explains ever, ever so much.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2006, 01:37:00 AM »

well, Canada is probably a lot closer to Australia than GB in terms of the perople and stuff, but personally I feel no real connection with Canada but a slight connection to the UK because of my welsh grandma. Really, I only feel a connection to Wales, not to the UK, I suppose. I feel closer to the US than both, but only slightly, and much closer to NZ than the US.

That's a mouthful of an answer
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2006, 01:40:14 AM »

They see it as a novelty (haha), it's a different nationality that it's "cool" to be in certain parts of the country, but mostly Irish, they just tihnk its cool becuase they associate it with the UK and dont know a damn thing aobut how things work over there.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2006, 01:51:43 AM »

Why? The fact that Americans seldomly know anything about Canada is a sign to me that it is pretty foreign.

By that measure, America is also foreign.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2006, 02:14:29 AM »

By that measure, America is also foreign.

Touche, Gabu Wink
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2006, 02:57:07 AM »

Considering I'm a friend of the biographer of Sir John Bourinot, do you really want to go there?

Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2006, 08:49:28 AM »

Mexico
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2006, 10:55:56 AM »

20 years ago, I would have said Canada.  Today, it's the UK.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2006, 04:48:12 PM »

Considering I'm a friend of the biographer of Sir John Bourinot, do you really want to go there?

Americans in general, not just you.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2006, 04:59:57 PM »

I'm sort of divided on this actually. But neither too much.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2006, 08:48:09 PM »

neither have i.

here in boston it is just sickening.  most of the so called irish around here are little more than an irish last name. 

some of these jokers resort to refering to themselves as 'irish'.  it is lol funny.

most of my ancestors were from the uk, but id never, ever call myself 'british' or even 'british-american'

Well, this isn't  aperfect analogy, but I think it works.

I once heard someone ask a friend of mine the question "What is it with people from Pittsburgh.  All over the country, I find people who are so proud to tell me that they are from Pittsburgh or their parents or grandparents were, but most of them are living anywhere but Pittsburgh".

To which my friend replied "You wouldn't understand."
theman9235
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 8.59, S: 9.09

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2006, 09:45:20 PM »

I hope this question really does not require thinking...of course Great Britain. Although i am not british myself, Americans ought to and Must have certain nepotism for UK. I dont know why Canada even exists. They have been good until their master neighbor went to war. Then they started whinning about sending troops which in the end they didnt. Why are they even building an army..they have the United States as their border country with a nuclear shield around them...they better hope the United States dosent roll over one night and crush them..they should be overwhelmed that after all this we would even allow them to exist as a continent. Its interesting...it occurred to me that always the worst Americans end up going to Canada..such as the tories after the revolutionary war, then the Vietnam draft dodgers etc...gays
US is their main trading partner, we keep their economy going...maybe its because they have French in them but thats not the point. Canadas existence is for US exploitation of their natural resources and a place for Americans to enjoy skiing during their leisure time. Again US does not need Canada,Canada needs the US. They better straighten up or will be responsible for their own security...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2006, 09:49:52 PM »

they should be overwhelmed that after all this we would even allow them to exist as a continent.

Canada is a continent?

I thank the United States for this new heightened designation.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2006, 09:56:02 PM »

they should be overwhelmed that after all this we would even allow them to exist as a continent.

Canada is a continent?

I'll take my gratitude in cash.  PM me for info on where to send the money.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2006, 09:58:08 PM »

Canada is a continent?

I'll take my gratitude in cash.  PM me for info on where to send the money.

I've already left it in a brown paper bag in the usual place.
theman9235
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2006, 10:06:32 PM »

Canada is a continent?

Excuse...exist on the same continent with the United States
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2006, 10:08:54 PM »

Canada is a continent?

If the United States decided that it didn't want to allow Canada to exist, exactly what do you think the international reaction to that would be?  The United States is not an island that can exist independently of any other country.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2006, 10:10:31 PM »

Canada is a continent?

If the United States decided that it didn't want to allow Canada to exist, exactly what do you think the international reaction to that would be?  The United States is not an island that can exist independently of any other country.

Obviously his plan is to cut the Canada part off the rest of North America and have it float away.  So you better watch it mister.
theman9235
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2006, 10:14:28 PM »

Canada is a continent?

What are they going to do...come dashing for Canada's aid?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies