question for the americans.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:29:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  question for the americans.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: question for the americans....  (Read 10456 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: December 25, 2006, 09:24:43 PM »

who do you feel a closer connection or kinship to...great britain or canada?

the uk for me.  not only because my people came from there, but they seem to be the most  pro-american.

the canadians...ugh.  no offense to any canadian on the board, but theyve always struck me as know-it-alls.  the time i was accosted at the border like a common terrorist didnt help my opinion any.  but, in fairness, that was quebec.

I agree.  Though there I have always liked the individual Canadians I have met, I am not a big fan of Candidan culture as a whole, or their whole "we hate the US" inferiority complex thing.

The only thing I have against the Brits is what they did to my people, by which I mean the Irish.

Plus, the Brits are good allies, the Canadians don't strike me as the kind of people I would want to have to count on in most circumstances.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 08:48:09 PM »

The only thing I have against the Brits is what they did to my people, by which I mean the Irish.

With all due respect 'your people' are your fellow Americans Smiley My mothers side of the family are Irish, (and French, and closely at that) but 'my people' are Scottish. I never understood this romanticism with the Irish that pervades parts of America.

neither have i.

here in boston it is just sickening.  most of the so called irish around here are little more than an irish last name. 

some of these jokers resort to refering to themselves as 'irish'.  it is lol funny.

most of my ancestors were from the uk, but id never, ever call myself 'british' or even 'british-american'

Well, this isn't  aperfect analogy, but I think it works.

I once heard someone ask a friend of mine the question "What is it with people from Pittsburgh.  All over the country, I find people who are so proud to tell me that they are from Pittsburgh or their parents or grandparents were, but most of them are living anywhere but Pittsburgh".

To which my friend replied "You wouldn't understand."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies