Question for jmfcst
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:55:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Question for jmfcst
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Question for jmfcst  (Read 2819 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2006, 07:01:03 AM »

the only reason why my 2000 Excursion isn't manual is because they didn't make a manual Excursion.

My 97 Corolla is a stick, as was every other new car I have ever bought (89 Probe, 91 Mustang, 93 Civic Del Sol, 94 Isuzu Pickup)...except for the Excursion.

Manuals are cheaper to buy, get better gas mileage, and are cheaper to repair.

Well, I generally agree with you, jmfcst, about transmissions, but I really don't see the point of a stick in a large vehicle with a torquey V-8.  I think something like a Civic is pretty much ruined by an automatic, while something like a Lincoln would be rather silly with a stick. 

Basically if the car's engine displacement is under 3.0 liters, stick, over, auto.  Of course if it is a pushrod engine (how I miss those!), it is even better with an automatic.  I really hate the newer excessively complex motors.

This brings back memories - back in the 90's I was tooling around in a big old 80's Chevy Caprice with a five litre V-8 and I stopped to test drive a VW Golf.  My god what a peice of sh**t!  I climbed back aboard the comfy old cruiser thinking to myself - 'who can stand to drive those things?'  Meaning high-revving stick shift cars.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2006, 07:13:35 AM »

Err...my japanese car has a 3.0 litre V6. Its an automatic.

So wait...automatics stay in lower gears longer than the typical stick shift driver?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2006, 07:27:04 AM »

Err...my japanese car has a 3.0 litre V6. Its an automatic.

I'm sure it is fine, bullmoose.. I'm just saying that in general stick shifts are more of an advantage with smaller displacement engines.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not really.. if anything the opposite.  But the main point is they do sap power, particularly torque.  The classic automatic is a 3 or 4 speed paired with a big pushrod v-8, for relaxed motoring.  Such engines tend to have so much torque there is little need for downshifting to rev the motor.  There's nothing like loafing along with a big, understressed, quiet, low-vibration motor. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies