RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:27:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  About this Site
  The Atlas
  RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation)  (Read 145306 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2007, 11:55:47 AM »

Are the 1998(?) referenda banning cockfighting in Missouri and Arizona online?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2007, 09:21:22 PM »

Alright, now I'm confused.  What does "tab-delimited" mean?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2007, 09:39:15 PM »

"Delimiting" is intarweb jargon for "separating with a specified character".  In tab-delimited data, each individual bit of data is separated by a tab.  It's important to specify the character because that's how the computer program knows what's data and what's a separator.

And if you're unfamiliar with the usage of "character" in the above explanation, that's another bit of intarweb jargon for "something you can write with a keyboard".
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2007, 10:43:46 PM »

"Delimiting" is intarweb jargon for "separating with a specified character".  In tab-delimited data, each individual bit of data is separated by a tab.  It's important to specify the character because that's how the computer program knows what's data and what's a separator.

And if you're unfamiliar with the usage of "character" in the above explanation, that's another bit of intarweb jargon for "something you can write with a keyboard".

Gabu, based on my earlier message, are you saying that it would be impossible for me to do tab-delimited data from my computer?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #154 on: February 17, 2007, 11:00:53 AM »

Okay, so could you explain what I need to do with the template spreadsheet I downloaded?  I see that it has the states listed in the first column, and the counties for each state seem to be hidden.  Using Microsoft Works Spreadsheet, how do I make those hidden rows appear so I can input data?

My n00bitude is apparent for all to see.
RBH

« Reply #155 on: February 17, 2007, 12:22:18 PM »

Hit the plus sign on the left side.

Also, after you've put into the columns (in the form of numbers without commas).. copy all the info and paste it into a txt file.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2007, 11:34:42 AM »

Hm, can someone delete this. I accidentally put this in with the wrong race title. And I did but Taylor/Cox in for the Gubernatorial race. It's just that there's no Senate primary for 2006 to put in to overwrite this info.

This race has been removed. 

Thanks for the tremendous effort!!!  Keep up the great work.
Dave
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2007, 01:11:20 PM »

Also, after you've put into the columns (in the form of numbers without commas).. copy all the info and paste it into a txt file.

Actually it's probably easier to hit "Save As" and then choose a Text File as the format.

Also the top line is just a guide for you when entering. It should be deleted before uploading.
RBH

« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2007, 01:02:08 AM »

Actually it's probably easier to hit "Save As" and then choose a Text File as the format.

Also the top line is just a guide for you when entering. It should be deleted before uploading.

True.

But either way, you get to the same destination. Wink
RBH

« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2007, 10:51:37 PM »

My 1990 and 1992 Missouri maps are a demonstration of the power of taking digital camera photos of pages from a reference book.

It took me a time or two to figure out how to take photos where the text doesn't disappear from the flash.

So basically i'd move the photos onto my computer, and then I would keep that picture in a window and then I'd go though a spreadsheet to type in nymbers.

Digital photocopying!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2007, 05:30:26 PM »

Has anybody done the 2006 Primaries?  I have a lot of data that I downloaded and did in paint during the summer or last year.  This would be pretty easy for me just to put into the data file and enter.
Shilly
United States

« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2007, 11:23:38 PM »

I've been trying to enter data for some elections but I keep getting errors similair to this for all of the candidates I put in the form.

Error: Candidate 1 name entered in the form, but has 0 total vote. Check that data file columns match candidate numbers.

As far as I can tell, I have done everything exactly as how I did the three succesful entries I made. Any possible explanations?
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2007, 08:49:52 AM »

I've been trying to enter data for some elections but I keep getting errors similair to this for all of the candidates I put in the form.

Error: Candidate 1 name entered in the form, but has 0 total vote. Check that data file columns match candidate numbers.

As far as I can tell, I have done everything exactly as how I did the three succesful entries I made. Any possible explanations?

Thanks!  Be sure that your data file has no commas in the data (set all the cell numberical types to "General".  Also be sure that the file has UNIX return characters.  On a Mac, I use a program called convertNewlines.app  I don't know what you have to do on a PC -> RBH - do you perform any special operations on the tab-delimited file?
Shilly
United States

« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2007, 04:40:46 PM »

I found the problem. The numbers in the cells weren't formatted as "general"
After I changed that, the data uploaded fine. Thanks for the help!
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2008, 04:28:28 PM »

Hi,
I've made a slight modification to the election upload script to account for official/unofficial data.  I've automatically made all data prior to 2006 as official.  Please take a moment to update the info (and data if appropriate) for elections that were entered prior to the results being certified.
many thanks,
Dave
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2008, 08:50:13 PM »

Dave,

Do you know what's going on here?
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=1801&off=5&elect=0&fips=10&f=0

The map is broken, though the data--both statewide and county--appears to be in the database. (If elections that far back aren't supported, then please delete.)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2008, 08:10:17 AM »

A few other things:

1. The page gives http://www.state.de.us/election/index.htm as the source URL, which is not correct. The proper URL appears in the Election Data Input Form, however.

2. The "Note 2" field is set to <textarea name="note_1". It is therefore impossible to modify Note 2; and moreover, whatever is entered into Note 2 becomes the new Note 1.

3. In order to make the Federalists' color purple, so as to be consistent with your presidential-election pages for 1789 through 1816, which candidate column must I use? Or is this not possible?
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2008, 01:57:26 PM »

Dave,

Do you know what's going on here?
https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=1801&off=5&elect=0&fips=10&f=0

The map is broken, though the data--both statewide and county--appears to be in the database. (If elections that far back aren't supported, then please delete.)

Hi Philip,
Thanks - For each of the states, the county maps won't be generated prior to the year that I have verified the county boundaries.  For Delaware that was 1892 as of yesterday. I modified the map to cover the Kent/New Castle boundary change in 1841, so now Delaware is good to 1775.  Other states vary in regard to the correct boundaries.

Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2008, 01:58:56 PM »

A few other things:

1. The page gives http://www.state.de.us/election/index.htm as the source URL, which is not correct. The proper URL appears in the Election Data Input Form, however.
I have corrected this code oversight.

2. The "Note 2" field is set to <textarea name="note_1". It is therefore impossible to modify Note 2; and moreover, whatever is entered into Note 2 becomes the new Note 1.
I've corrected this bug

3. In order to make the Federalists' color purple, so as to be consistent with your presidential-election pages for 1789 through 1816, which candidate column must I use? Or is this not possible?
I have more work to do to make the Federalists purple...
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2008, 02:03:31 PM »

Excellent; thanks!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2008, 10:21:40 PM »

I managed to botch this Pennsylvania election as well, and I don't want to go on making mistakes. Would it be possible to get a list showing, for each state, how far back county boundaries have been verified?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2008, 02:59:41 PM by Philip »

Dave,

Can you change this entry from "referendum" to "initiative" for me? I hadn't realized the system distinguished between the two.

Additionally, for some reason the election note for this Illinois "referendum" appears on the county results pages, but not on the main, statewide results page.

EDIT: I also notice there's an extra "http://" for web sources on the various entries. Do you want us to omit the "http://" from the submitted URL?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2008, 05:56:28 PM »

Where does one find all of these maps that members create. Despite my best efforts, I can't find them. Thanks.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2008, 06:50:05 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/national.php?f=0&off=99

Click on the state you're interested in.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2008, 12:05:16 AM »

Thanks so much. It appears to have a treasure trove of data. It should be easier to find, for those who drop by.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies