Running Mates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:30:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Running Mates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Running Mates  (Read 15550 times)
jravnsbo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2004, 10:31:20 AM »

Edwards Rejects a Kerry-Edwards Ticket    
10 minutes ago  

By ROSS SNEYD, Associated Press Writer

MERRIMACK, N.H. - Presidential candidate John Edwards (news - web sites) on Wednesday rejected any notion of sharing the Democratic ticket with front-running rival John Kerry (news - web sites) — unless he is at the top.

AP Photo

Reuters  
 Slideshow: John Edwards

Edwards Looks Ahead After N.H. Outcome
(AP Video)

Latest headlines:
· Edwards Rejects a Kerry-Edwards Ticket
AP - 10 minutes ago

· Delegates Won in N.H. Democratic Primary
AP - 16 minutes ago

· Unofficial N.H. Democrat Primary Returns
AP - 17 minutes ago

Election 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Election Results:
N.H. Primary

Asked on NBC's "Today" show if he would accept second place on the Democratic slate to face President Bush (news - web sites) in the fall election, Edwards said: "I think you've got the order reversed. I intend to be the nominee."

Edwards said he would not be willing to be No. 2. "No, no. Final. I don't want to be vice president. I'm running for president," he said.

Edwards declared his fourth-place finish in New Hampshire's primary just what he needed as he headed into his native South and beyond. He climbed from low in the pre-primary polls to finish just behind retired Gen. Wesley Clark (news - web sites), who placed third. Clark and Edwards both had 12 percent of the vote, with Clark earning more than 800 votes over Edwards.

"We've got a lot of energy and momentum going right now. My job is to keep it going," he said Wednesday.

Kerry won New Hampshire with 39 percent of the vote, and Howard Dean (news - web sites) came in second with 26 percent. Joe Lieberman (news - web sites) trailed Clark and Edwards in fifth place with 9 percent.

"In New Hampshire 10 days ago we were 20 points behind General Clark and look at what we've done," Edwards told cheering supporters Tuesday night. "And now we're going to take this energy and momentum we saw in Iowa and this energy and momentum we saw in New Hampshire and we're going to take it right through February 3rd."

The stakes are all on South Carolina next week for Edwards. He says he must win the state where he was born and where a recent poll showed him with a slight lead. He dismisses any discussions about what his future holds if he doesn't carry South Carolina.

But he faces an opponent who also lays claim to being the candidate from the South, Arkansas' Clark. Kerry also will be competing in South Carolina.

Despite spending a good part of the past year campaigning in New Hampshire and holding more than 100 town hall meetings, Edwards could not overcome the built-in advantages of the New Englanders.

"They're from right next door," Edwards said of Kerry and Dean. "They're expected to do that."

His tight race with Clark could portend another close contest next week. Besides South Carolina, the Edwards campaign also wants to do well in Oklahoma and possibly New Mexico and Missouri. TV ads are airing in South Carolina, Oklahoma and New Mexico. Edwards said contributions continued to flow into his campaign based on his Iowa finish.

Edwards said he would work hard in the coming week but would not forecast his prospects. "Beyond South Carolina I don't want to make any predictions, but I want to do well," he said.

Edwards headed to the airport for a flight to South Carolina immediately after speaking to supporters in New Hampshire. He planned to spend part of Wednesday campaigning in South Carolina, as well as in Oklahoma and Missouri, a big prize next week that became competitive after favorite son Rep. Dick Gephardt (news - web sites) dropped out after the Iowa caucuses.

NHPolitico

« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2004, 10:33:56 AM »

Edwards Rejects a Kerry-Edwards Ticket    
10 minutes ago  

By ROSS SNEYD, Associated Press Writer

MERRIMACK, N.H. - Presidential candidate John Edwards (news - web sites) on Wednesday rejected any notion of sharing the Democratic ticket with front-running rival John Kerry (news - web sites) — unless he is at the top.

Asked on NBC's "Today" show if he would accept second place on the Democratic slate to face President Bush (news - web sites) in the fall election, Edwards said: "I think you've got the order reversed. I intend to be the nominee."

Edwards said he would not be willing to be No. 2. "No, no. Final. I don't want to be vice president. I'm running for president," he said.

Edwards declared his fourth-place finish in New Hampshire's primary just what he needed as he headed into his native South and beyond. He climbed from low in the pre-primary polls to finish just behind retired Gen. Wesley Clark (news - web sites), who placed third. Clark and Edwards both had 12 percent of the vote, with Clark earning more than 800 votes over Edwards.

"We've got a lot of energy and momentum going right now. My job is to keep it going," he said Wednesday.

Kerry won New Hampshire with 39 percent of the vote, and Howard Dean (news - web sites) came in second with 26 percent. Joe Lieberman (news - web sites) trailed Clark and Edwards in fifth place with 9 percent.

"In New Hampshire 10 days ago we were 20 points behind General Clark and look at what we've done," Edwards told cheering supporters Tuesday night. "And now we're going to take this energy and momentum we saw in Iowa and this energy and momentum we saw in New Hampshire and we're going to take it right through February 3rd."

The stakes are all on South Carolina next week for Edwards. He says he must win the state where he was born and where a recent poll showed him with a slight lead. He dismisses any discussions about what his future holds if he doesn't carry South Carolina.

But he faces an opponent who also lays claim to being the candidate from the South, Arkansas' Clark. Kerry also will be competing in South Carolina.

Despite spending a good part of the past year campaigning in New Hampshire and holding more than 100 town hall meetings, Edwards could not overcome the built-in advantages of the New Englanders.

"They're from right next door," Edwards said of Kerry and Dean. "They're expected to do that."

His tight race with Clark could portend another close contest next week. Besides South Carolina, the Edwards campaign also wants to do well in Oklahoma and possibly New Mexico and Missouri. TV ads are airing in South Carolina, Oklahoma and New Mexico. Edwards said contributions continued to flow into his campaign based on his Iowa finish.

Edwards said he would work hard in the coming week but would not forecast his prospects. "Beyond South Carolina I don't want to make any predictions, but I want to do well," he said.

Edwards headed to the airport for a flight to South Carolina immediately after speaking to supporters in New Hampshire. He planned to spend part of Wednesday campaigning in South Carolina, as well as in Oklahoma and Missouri, a big prize next week that became competitive after favorite son Rep. Dick Gephardt (news - web sites) dropped out after the Iowa caucuses.

Yeah, do you buy that? No one will make an issue of this once he is chosen.
jravnsbo

« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2004, 10:36:14 AM »

I don't know, but we can sure throw it back in his face if he flip flops!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2004, 10:39:15 AM »

No, he'll just say that the situation changed a lot, etc, etc...
jravnsbo

« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2004, 10:41:36 AM »

yeah like Kerry and his evolving war stance, yeah that'll work! Smiley

still waiting for the reporters to ask him about how he justifies his NO vote on the first Gulf war when a country was invaded.  

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2004, 10:49:15 AM »

Well, that might be a little different, but Edwards could just say that he WAS running for president, not VP, that the thought had never really crossed his mind, but that when he got the call he thought it over carefully, consulted his family, and decided that the values he promoted in his campaign would be best served by him running for VP, and that he cannot say no to his country, servant of his people, thinks Senator kerry is a great man, etc, etc, etc...

I can see it happening, can't you?

still waiting for the reporters to ask him about how he justifies his NO vote on the first Gulf war when a country was invaded.  

jravnsbo

« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2004, 10:50:58 AM »

Yeah and everyone will believe that!  ( will look phoney like the trial lawyer he is)  Plus I WANT him on the ticket, he adds nothing electorally to it , can't pick upa  single southern state, etc etc

Well, that might be a little different, but Edwards could just say that he WAS running for president, not VP, that the thought had never really crossed his mind, but that when he got the call he thought it over carefully, consulted his family, and decided that the values he promoted in his campaign would be best served by him running for VP, and that he cannot say no to his country, servant of his people, thinks Senator kerry is a great man, etc, etc, etc...

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2004, 11:00:13 AM »

Yeah and everyone will believe that!  ( will look phoney like the trial lawyer he is)  Plus I WANT him on the ticket, he adds nothing electorally to it , can't pick upa  single southern state, etc etc

I do think it would be quite reasonable, not true, but I very much doubt that it would hurt him. Look at Schwarzenegger, he confirmed that he wouldn't run, and then ran anyway. It's very common for politicians to deny their intenstions and then run anyway, and it has never been a problem, as far as I know.

And I'm not sure if Edwards adds nothing, it's not only about picking up Southern states. He might make the Upper South more of a battleground, that would be good in itself.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies