State Legislative Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:12:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State Legislative Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: State Legislative Elections  (Read 24676 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2007, 03:39:12 AM »

This Tuesday - PA House showdown - Our Speaker's race will be decided on swearing in day and I'll be up there to witness the events. Control might also flip (102-101 Dem) with a few party switches quite possible. Let's hope for an interesting day. I'll keep everyone posted.

Zell Miller Part Deux:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/16352325.htm

It's amazing how many assholes we have in our party that will turncoat like Tom Caltagrione.  John Perzel will still be Speaker. Sad

I wouldn't be so sure that Perzel will pull through. If anything, I have the feeling that he will lose. Some Republicans are refusing to vote for him so Caltagrione's vote might not even matter.

I hope tomorrow is fun. I'm going to love being in Harrisburg during the drama. I'll keep everyone posted.  Smiley

I heard some conservative Republicans maybe Perzel's problem there.  Ouch what happened to Tom Stish, but still he's an asshole too.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2007, 10:36:05 PM »

In the end it's even more interesting than was expected. Perzel got not one, but three Dems to vote for him, but he won't be the Speaker. Dems nominated a Republican member, Dennis O'Brian (R, Philadelphia) nominated (in fact, DeWeese nominated him), and O'Brian got 7 Republican votes (including his own), to make it 105 votes for O'Brian against 97 for Perzel. Quite some fun!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2007, 10:43:42 PM »

I finished up one of the most exciting days in my political life just a few hours ago. I'd love to go into every detail but it is impossible. As many know, Denny O'Brien is my State Representative (I have mentioned him a number of times on the forum) and currently my favorite elected official. We weren't expecting what we got today but when we got it, it was amazing. The man truly deserves the job and will make an excellent Speaker.

I know there is talk about which party he will be a member of but that doesn't mean everything to me. I know that is harder for other Pennsylvania Republicans to accept but as someone who has been one of the most active volunteers, this is more personal for me. Regardless of what party, he's going to make us proud. I wish I could go into why O'Brien might switch but it is not my place to do so. I might not agree with the party switching but let's just say that it is not totally irrational considering what he has been through.

Hats off to the Dems for their amazing skills in nominating O'Brien. They knew they didn't have the votes for DeWeese but they outmanuevered Perzel by going with Denny. I am not a DeWeese fan but I greatly admire what he did today.

Again, I wish I could go into further detail about the excitement of the day and other things but you wouldn't understand.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2007, 11:55:47 PM »

That thing in the PA House is amazing.  I am at a loss for words myself, and I wasn't even there.  So who gets the majority in the committees and the committee chairmanships?
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »

Again, I wish I could go into further detail about the excitement of the day and other things but you wouldn't understand.

Oh, do tell.  I'm interested, but you're right, I don't understand this maneuvering or the setting or the actors involved.  Perhaps you could help us out?

It's great that you got to observe this in person.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2007, 12:22:55 AM »

That thing in the PA House is amazing.  I am at a loss for words myself, and I wasn't even there.  So who gets the majority in the committees and the committee chairmanships?

As Speaker O'Brien said, the Dems have the majority so they have the committees. However, there is a proposal in a set of the rules (to be voted on by the members) that was proposed by the Dem who left to support Perzel which stated that half of the committees would be controlled by the GOP and half by the Dems with each committee having equal amount of members from both sides serving. It is unlikely to pass and I am happy about that.

Oh, do tell.  I'm interested, but you're right, I don't understand this maneuvering or the setting or the actors involved.  Perhaps you could help us out?

It's great that you got to observe this in person.

It's far too much to tell and some things I cannot say out of respect for privacy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies