Will Israel bomb Iran?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:57:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will Israel bomb Iran?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Based on the linked article do you beleive Israel will bomb Iran sometime in the coming decade?
Yes in 2007

Yes in 2008

Yes by 2012

Yes by 2017

Yes but after 2017

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Will Israel bomb Iran?  (Read 2233 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2007, 03:18:41 AM »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-2535310,00.html
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 06:05:28 PM »

I would guess not.

After the disaster that was the Israeli-Lebanon War and the overall turmoil in the Israeli military over the tactics and planning used in that war I could not see them pulling off a major operation for some time.

As for using an airstrike against Iranian weapons sites I think that there is not a very high probability of that happening. After th 1982 attacks on Iraqi nuclear weapons sites there was a general outrage that almost led to another war in the Middle East with the heightened tensions now I don't think Israel can risk another war especially after their military power was curtailed, to a much more successful degree than by larger powers in all the Arab-Israeli Wars, by Hezbollah.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 06:07:29 PM »

The answer to this question is entirely dependant on 1) What Iran Does in the next few years and 2) The exact geopolitical situation at the time - especially regarding Iraq and Iran (obviously). At present I would find it extremely unlikely - though I'm sure the IDF has drawn up plans just in case....
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 06:08:46 PM »

I don't believe they'll do it unless any more threatening action comes from Iran.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:19:36 PM »

Possible, but not in the next two years.  Iran's not that close to production yet and this is a high risk option.  However, unless Iran changes course then yes it will happen and probably during the term of our next president.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 09:57:28 PM »

Yes--by 2017--probably around 2015.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 06:52:55 PM »

I'm inclined to beleive they will if Iran continues to enrich whatever it is they have.  Ever since we invaded Iraq I've been waiting for broader Middle East tensions to suddenly erupt into full scale WWIII.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 06:55:41 PM »

They did!  In World War III, they sent a nuclear weapon to Tehran!  Oh, pardon, that was in my what-if scenario. . .

To shift gears, I do believe that Israel will attack Iran within the decade.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 08:14:19 PM »

Then again we don't even know if Israel will be around by 2017 or 2020. A lot can happen in 10-15 years.
RRB
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 08:55:13 PM »

The country of Isreal is the reason there is trouble in the middle East.  Think about it.  Every bomb that falls in Palistine, and every bullet that flies from an Israli gun says "Made in the USA" on it.  We put Isreal on the map.  No wonder they hate us.  No wonder a nation (Palistein) that has nothing resorts to strapping bombs to kids and sending them into bus stops. No wonder they want to kill us.  If the US wants to get rid of terrorism, (and protect the Israli people as well) it needs to cut ties with Isreal.  If it did, the show would be over. 

Think about it.  The Palistinians try to smuggle guns into their country and the western world goes crazy.  HOWEVER, Isreal has nuclear bombs.  How about that for fair play?

There........I just presented step number one toward world peace.  Unfortunatly, Christian values AND Islamic values are all centred in the area.  And we all know that our God is bigger and better than their God - RIGHT! (sarcasm implied).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 09:40:24 PM »

Then again we don't even know if Israel will be around by 2017 or 2020. A lot can happen in 10-15 years.

^

I'm pretty confident that Israel won't exist by the time we all die.  When along the line that happens, who knows.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 02:28:57 AM »

The country of Isreal is the reason there is trouble in the middle East.  Think about it.  Every bomb that falls in Palistine, and every bullet that flies from an Israli gun says "Made in the USA" on it.  We put Isreal on the map.  No wonder they hate us.  No wonder a nation (Palistein) that has nothing resorts to strapping bombs to kids and sending them into bus stops. No wonder they want to kill us.  If the US wants to get rid of terrorism, (and protect the Israli people as well) it needs to cut ties with Isreal.  If it did, the show would be over. 

Think about it.  The Palistinians try to smuggle guns into their country and the western world goes crazy.  HOWEVER, Isreal has nuclear bombs.  How about that for fair play?

There........I just presented step number one toward world peace.  Unfortunatly, Christian values AND Islamic values are all centred in the area.  And we all know that our God is bigger and better than their God - RIGHT! (sarcasm implied).

I applaud your boldness.  And I must admit that I agree with you in that most of our Middle East troubles revolve around the creation of Israel.  Creating a Jewish state in one of the holiest places for all three of the world's largest monotheistic religions was not the wisest plan. 

If we want to end the conflict there we need to first stop talking about Israel and Palestine as if they were seperate nations capable of peaceful co-existance.  That's bullsh**t and it will never happen.  Israel and Palestine are the same place, they're just called different names by different people.  That's what this whole thing is about.  We need to dissolve the current Israeli government and the Palestinian Authority and merge them into one government that is in charge of everything.  Israel, the West Bank, and the Gaza strip should be one country in which every man of every faith has every right to live where ever the hell he wants. 

The current division of territory between the two factions is ridiculous.  Its tantamount to someone from 1960 saying we should give Montana to the black people as an apology for slavery and Jim Crow and then foring all white people and Native Americans to move out so the balck people can move into their houses.  It makes absolutely no sense.  Luckily such ideas never got enough traction in America but it is that kind of racist and segregationist thinking that led to the creation of this mess.  Its 2007 and we're still trying to solve this problem with seperated waterfountains and bathrooms.

Bottom line, each of the three religions should be granted equal weight in a land that is holy to all.  Putting one above the others is just asking for trouble.  If this area is ever going to see peace the West needs to give Israel some tough love.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 12:55:45 PM »

We need to dissolve the current Israeli government and the Palestinian Authority and merge them into one government that is in charge of everything. 

...and thus create a big civil war out of a war between two nations...

but, then again, the Arab/Israeli conflict already is simply a continuation of 4000 conflict between the descendents of two half-brothers: Isaac and Ishmael.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 12:32:37 AM »

We need to dissolve the current Israeli government and the Palestinian Authority and merge them into one government that is in charge of everything.

...and thus create a big civil war out of a war between two nations...

but, then again, the Arab/Israeli conflict already is simply a continuation of 4000 conflict between the descendents of two half-brothers: Isaac and Ishmael.

By my thinking it already is a civil war because as I stated Israel and Palestine are the same country.  This conflict is a prime example of why religion is bad for politics.  What that area needs is a completely secular government not one backed by a particular religion.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2007, 03:31:19 AM »

This conflict is a prime example of why religion is bad for politics.  What that area needs is a completely secular government not one backed by a particular religion.

Except that its a conflict between two ethnic groups, not two religions.  This isn't any more about religion than Northern Ireland is.  It merely happens that religion is one of the differences between the two groups, but it has nothing to do with what caused the problem in the first place, despite it being used as a rallying cry by fanatics on both sides.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 04:18:41 AM »

This conflict is a prime example of why religion is bad for politics.  What that area needs is a completely secular government not one backed by a particular religion.

Except that its a conflict between two ethnic groups, not two religions.  This isn't any more about religion than Northern Ireland is.  It merely happens that religion is one of the differences between the two groups, but it has nothing to do with what caused the problem in the first place, despite it being used as a rallying cry by fanatics on both sides.
Even if it isn't the central issue you still prove my point by saying that it serves as extra fuel for the fire.  Bottom line, as a sacred place for billions of people around the world, Israel/Palestine should be a culturally diverse and accpeting nation in which people of all religions and ethnicities can worship peacefully. 
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 01:25:02 PM »

Even if it isn't the central issue you still prove my point by saying that it serves as extra fuel for the fire.  Bottom line, as a sacred place for billions of people around the world, Israel/Palestine should be a culturally diverse and accpeting nation in which people of all religions and ethnicities can worship peacefully. 

That's fine if one is dealing with religions that accept at their core the possibility that other religions may simply resent alternative paths to the truth.  However, all of the Abrahamic religions have as one of their core tenets that they are the one true religion.  Ecumenism is a lot like bipartisanship.  It sounds nice and pretty, but most people who call for it use in a sense analogous to: "Let's compromise and agree that I'm right and I'll be a good winner and not point out that you were once wrong."
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 03:05:46 PM »

Maybe, but only if Iran attacked first. Throughout her history, Israel has never been so much one to start Sad wars, but they do, usually, at least, end Smiley them

Dave
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 03:10:50 PM »

Maybe, but only if Iran attacked first. Throughout her history, Israel has never been so much one to start Sad wars, but they do, usually, at least, end Smiley them

Dave

You might want to study history a little more first. 1981 Israeli bombing? Ringing any bells?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 03:30:41 PM »

Dave

You might want to study history a little more first. 1981 Israeli bombing? Ringing any bells?

You might want to pay closer attention to what I said. I said Israel "has never been so much one to start wars", I didn't say that they'd never started any military offensives whatsoever

Dave
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 03:33:43 PM »

Dave

You might want to pay closer attention to what I said. I said Israel "has never been so much one to start wars", I didn't say that they'd never started any military offensives whatsoever

Dave

Well of course they're too sneaky to actually declare war when they start killing civilians.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 03:37:14 PM »

Dave

Dave

Well of course they're too sneaky to actually declare war when they start killing civilians.

As if Roll Eyes Israel's enemies have never killed any Israeli civilians. Even the most recent conflict in the Lebanon wasn't Israeli started, Hizbollah's actions instigated that

Dave
kashifsakhan
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 08:56:44 PM »

Dave

Dave

As if Roll Eyes Israel's enemies have never killed any Israeli civilians. Even the most recent conflict in the Lebanon wasn't Israeli started, Hizbollah's actions instigated that

Dave

I dont agree with you there. Although Hezbollah did kidnap an Israeli soldier, i think the Israeli response was sort of like trying to kill a fly with a cannon ball... way over the top!

I think if it had been handled better plenty of lives could have been saved.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies