Japan mulls importing foreign workers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:01:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Japan mulls importing foreign workers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Japan mulls importing foreign workers  (Read 799 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2007, 02:36:50 PM »

By JOSEPH COLEMAN, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 3 minutes ago

OIZUMI, Japan - At the Brazil Plaza shopping center, Carlos Watanabe thinks back on 12 lonely years as a factory worker in Japan — and can't find a single thing to praise except the cold mug of Kirin lager in his hand.

"I want to go back to Brazil every day, but I don't go because I don't have the money," says Watanabe, 28. "Sometimes I think I should go home, sometimes stay here, sometimes just go to another country."

The administrators of Oizumi, 50 miles north of Tokyo, are also dissatisfied: The outsiders don't speak enough Japanese. They don't recycle their trash properly. Their kids don't get along with their Japanese classmates.

"We want people to study Japanese and learn our rules before coming here," Oizumi Mayor Hiroshi Hasegawa, whose business card is in Portuguese. "Until the national government decides on an immigration system, it's going to be really tough."

As a town of 42,000 with a 15 percent foreign population, the highest in Japan, Oizumi's troubles are getting nationwide attention as the country wakes up to a demographic time bomb: In 2005, it became the world's first leading economy to suffer a decline in population, with 21,408 more deaths than births — the feared onset of what may become a crippling labor shortage at mid-century.

The prospect of a shrinking, rapidly aging population is spurring a debate about whether Japan — so insular that it once barred foreigners from its shores for two centuries — should open up to more foreign workers.

Japan's 2 million registered foreigners, 1.57 percent of the population, are at a record high but minuscule compared with the United States' 12 percent.

For the government to increase those numbers would be groundbreaking in a nation conditioned to see itself as racially homogeneous and culturally unique, and to equate "foreign" with crime and social disorder.

"I think we are entering an age of revolutionary change," said Hidenori Sakanaka, director of the Japan Immigration Policy Institute and a vocal proponent of accepting more outsiders. "Our views on how the nation should be and our views on foreigners need to change in order to maintain our society."
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 03:47:07 AM »

So are they looking for just laborers or high skilled workers as well?  It shouldn't be too hard to find educated people who are willing to learn Japanese to get a well paying job.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 08:13:48 AM »

So are they looking for just laborers or high skilled workers as well?  It shouldn't be too hard to find educated people who are willing to learn Japanese to get a well paying job.

1. They don't need just (not even mostly) the high-skilled labor - unless they want to send their old to Philippines to die. What they really need are the not-too-skilled laborers.

2. Actually, there several serious drawbacks to Japan as a destination for high-skilled labor w/ other options (remember, that other countries in the region, such as Australia, are also in this market):

A. Few educated women could be pursuaded to go long-term, given the traditional role of women in this society. Actually, a lot of foreign-educated Japanese women, if they even try, discover that they are unable to survive back home (I know some cases personally). This also means, that educated males better be either single, or married to uneducated (or Japanese) women: otherwise, I'd rate the odds of prompt divorce pretty high.

B.  Japanese society is extremely racist and xenophobic towards anyone non-Japanese (from what I hear, it's a lot - orders of magnitude - worse than anywhere in the US). An educated migrant should either be willing to stay within the expat community, or should have a very thick skin. He (there won't be many "she's") should also be very clear, that he is only temporarily in Japan: chances of living one's entire life on satisfactory conditions are miniscule.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies