Louisiana 2003
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:29:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Louisiana 2003
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Louisiana 2003  (Read 45675 times)
jravnsbo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2004, 08:50:29 PM »

He's only 32.  Far from over.  Would be good for the party to see him involved.  Not bad for 32 to do so well statewide.

Yes disppointing but he may run for the Hous ein Vitter's district.

I still can't believe Jindal lost.  Very disappointing.
Yeah, Jindal's career is not over by any means.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2004, 10:47:46 PM »

He was a good candidate, might he run for Breaux's seat?
jravnsbo

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2004, 11:04:59 PM »

he could but it is thought he will run for the house or wait, b/c party seems to be all behind Vitter as their best chance to win and with LA crazy runoff primary system they want to be unified to try and get 50% on first ballot.

He was a good candidate, might he run for Breaux's seat?
NHPolitico

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2004, 07:57:25 PM »

I still can't believe Jindal lost.  Very disappointing.

I hope he ends up in Congress and builds up to governor again. That, or become HHS Secretary for Bush next year and run for office in Virginia after moving there and after having served in DC for Bush. Virginia doesn't have a problem voting for "coloreds" like whites in the Bayou do.
jravnsbo

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2004, 04:50:06 PM »

I see Jindal endorsed Vitter for Senate!  Ends any thoughts that he would enter that race, good GOP is united for Senate run.
jravnsbo

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2004, 04:50:33 PM »

I did see Gov Blanco was sworn in to office today as Governor.
NHPolitico

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2004, 09:42:07 AM »

I see Jindal endorsed Vitter for Senate!  Ends any thoughts that he would enter that race, good GOP is united for Senate run.

I don't think there was any doubt. It was ridiculous to think that Terrell would run again for Senate two years after losing. It was ridiculous to think that Jindal would run for Senate after losing a major statewide race last year. Democrats in LA can bounce back that way. Republicans have to start from scratch. They have to restrategize and reorganize.  
jravnsbo

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2004, 02:12:20 PM »

Well didn't think there was much doubt Jindal wouldn't run for senate, but glad to see its official.

I don't think there was any doubt. It was ridiculous to think that Terrell would run again for Senate two years after losing. It was ridiculous to think that Jindal would run for Senate after losing a major statewide race last year. Democrats in LA can bounce back that way. Republicans have to start from scratch. They have to restrategize and reorganize.  
hoshie
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -5.22

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2004, 10:55:23 PM »

BTW what's a cajun? I'm curious as I've heard the word used before but I'm not sure what it means.

Here's a good link about Cajuns:

http://www.acadian-cajun.com/
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2004, 05:01:17 AM »

Interesting site
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2004, 08:16:42 AM »

Good site.
NHPolitico

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2004, 08:50:46 AM »

BTW what's a cajun? I'm curious as I've heard the word used before but I'm not sure what it means.

Here's a good link about Cajuns:

http://www.acadian-cajun.com/

Hooooooooo, boy !! How y'all are??
Today we got a extra-special treat. We gon' make a lil' dish dat is real popular down heah-- some o' y'all might know what ahm talkin' at, it's bin a Loosiana tradition since back before 1812 or aftuh... dis my gen-u-wine, home-tested recipe foah makin' de authentic Cajun Porch Chop.

Now, I were real surprised to heah 'bout dis ghost-story bunch havin' heard o' dis dish-- I din know ghosts ate much, an' I sure din tink dey et Cajun food, but I been wrong befoah. Anyhow, dis is what you do, you take a good, medium-sized porch lak de one I got heah, an' you make up some o' dis mix heah, made outta breadcrumbs ('bout, oh, three or two dozen loaves o' bread oughtta do it), a WHOLE bunch o' egg, some hot sauce, and some butta an' lemon juice-- an' ahm gon' add a lil' WIIIINE, jus' a lil' bit now-- Hm. Wonda whut happen to de res' of de bottle?-- den you take yoah porch an' you roll it in dis mixture (Y'all might wanna git some o' yoah friens to help you wit dis part, it 'bout as easy as introducin' a long-named duck to a alligator), den you t'row her on in to a BIIIIIIIIG cast arn skillet an' you fry her up all nice an' brown...ummmmmm, now, doan' dat pretty? Hooooooo !! I ain't had a good porch chop dinner in I doan' know why !! Den you scoop her out onta a plattuh-- dis here's a ol' pool liner o' mine, but y'all use whatevea y'all kin find-- an' you garnish her wit parsley bushes-- see, I done trimmed mine to look lak rockin' chairs-- and den you serve it on up wit lemonade. Dis dish will make you de talk o' everone dat ain't too dead to show up, I garontee !!

Course now you widdout a porch, so y'all might wanna do yoah settin' out on de roof from naow on, but dat's awright, git you a mess o' crawdad an' git on up dere an' enjoy de view... which remind me of a story ah heard obout dis woman she call de po-lice won time, an' she say 'dere's dis man across de way, he walkin' aroun' in his house wit all de lights on, and all de windas open, an' *he ain't got no clothes on !!*'  Well, de po-lice, dey come out dere, an' dey look outta her winda, an' sho' enuf', dere's dat man walkin' aroun' wit no clothes on, but de windas is too high, en dey kin only sees him from about de chest up. So dey tell de woman, 'Ma'am, his windas is too high, you can only see from him chest up.' Well, dat woman she say, 'Yeah, but if you step up on dis box heah, you can see EVERYT'ING !!!'

--Justin Wilson
NHPolitico

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2004, 07:31:27 AM »

New study suggests bias, ex-Duke voters key to Blanco's 2003 win

The Associated Press

April 3, 2004

BATON ROUGE (AP) -- A new study by two political scientists suggests that racial bias was likely a key factor in the defeat of Indian-American Bobby Jindal in the 2003 Louisiana governor's race.

Unexpected support from the so-called "David Duke vote" was decisive in Democratic Gov. Kathleen Blanco's victory, the detailed statistical analysis by two government professors at Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y., suggests.

White voters who had backed former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke in 1991, and who normally vote Republican, instead turned away from Jindal in the 2003 race, according to the analysis by Richard Skinner and Philip A. Klinkner. "Duke voters," particularly in north Louisiana, were enough to provide the new governor her margin, Skinner and Klinkner suggest.

The unusual Louisiana election provided the political scientists with a laboratory for studying an irreducible racial element in Louisiana politics.

In two other recent governor's races, for example, pitting a conservative white Republican -- Mike Foster -- against liberal black Democrats Cleo Fields and William Jefferson, the white's big win could arguably have been attributed to the political conservatism of the Louisiana voter.

But in 2003 Jindal himself ran as a conservative Republican, removing that element from the calculation. Or, as the authors put it: "It seems that the racial divisions in Louisiana are really about race, and not merely a surrogate for the ideological differences that often separate blacks and whites."

Their paper, "Black, White, Brown and Cajun: The Racial Dynamics of the 2003 Louisiana Gubernatorial Election," published by the Berkeley Electronic Press, founded by professors at the University of California at Berkeley, uses a technique favored by political scientists called regression analysis. This allowed the authors to track voting patterns based on ideology.

They demonstrate that Blanco's support came "from a different set of voters than other recent Democratic candidates," the two authors write, including Mary Landrieu in her successful U.S. Senate race in 2002.

In fact, the ex-lieutenant governor's vote "correlates strongly with the support won by Duke in 1991."

Several Louisiana political analysts praised the new study, saying its thoroughness furnishes strong evidence that Jindal's origins and skin color figured decisively against him in the Louisiana vote.

The authors themselves wrote that their numbers "provide important evidence that a significant number of northern Louisiana white voters defected from the Republican party because of race."

Throughout the campaign last fall, Jindal, a second-generation son of Indian immigrants who settled in Baton Rouge, strenuously downplayed the importance of his origins. The youthful former Bush administration official insisted that race was no longer important to Louisiana voters.

Some top Republicans in the state, however, were wary of his candidacy for that reason and backed others in the contest, who also wound up losing.

The new study appears to confirm the fears of the Republicans who turned away from Jindal.

"This analysis provides a solid case that Jindal's ethnicity was the reason a substantial number of voters who normally vote Republican, voted against Jindal," said LSU political scientist Wayne Parent. He called it the "last word" on the role Jindal's ethnic origins played in the 2003 vote.

"They applied sound political science methods to the election results and uncovered some voting patterns that should give us pause," said Lance Hill, executive director of the Southern Institute for Education and Research at Tulane University.

Most notably, the authors demonstrate that where Duke did well in 1991, so did Blanco in 2003 -- far better, in fact, than Landrieu in 2002.

The openly racist ex-Klansman gained a majority of the vote in 26 Louisiana parishes; Blanco averaged 10 percentage points better than Landrieu in these parishes. And in nine parishes where Duke got more than 55 percent of the vote, Blanco averaged 17 percentage points better than the U.S. Senator.

Most conclusive, according to Parent, is the two political scientists' examination of results from a far smaller unit than the parish -- the precinct. And here again, in the north Louisiana precincts examined by the authors, where Duke had gotten more than 60 percent of the vote in 1991, Blanco averaged 13 percentage points better than Landrieu.

©The Lafayette Daily Advertiser April 3, 2004
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2004, 12:23:24 AM »

Interesting story. Sad but true...

BTW, does anyone happen to have a list or a map of the parishes David Duke won in 1991?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2004, 03:28:56 AM »

What's interesting is that the turnout was low (for Louisiana)... and what seems to have happend is that the black turnout was low, but the white turnout in Northern LA was also low.
Had Blanco been a man she could have hit 60%...
NHPolitico

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2004, 01:58:49 PM »

What's interesting is that the turnout was low (for Louisiana)... and what seems to have happend is that the black turnout was low, but the white turnout in Northern LA was also low.
Had Blanco been a man she could have hit 60%...

You're right.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2004, 04:43:11 PM »

Black turnout wasn't 'low'--it was in fact more spread out between the two candidates than is typical for LA.

Jindal received a remarkable 34% of the vote in Orleans Parish, the Black stronghold in the state. White and upper-class Black New Orleanians voted for Jindal in huge margins.

Where Jindal was skunked was Northwest LA, home of the Ku Kluxers.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2017, 10:00:12 PM »

Stop grave digging.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2017, 04:57:38 PM »

Interesting that this thread gets bumped the same day I was wondering if Blanco would have been reelected had she run in 2007.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2017, 08:28:33 PM »

Interesting that this thread gets bumped the same day I was wondering if Blanco would have been reelected had she run in 2007.

Most definitely not.

She was universally hated in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2017, 08:35:53 PM »

I was in the third grade when this thread was made.  Man.  Weird times.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2017, 02:25:39 AM »

I was 2.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2017, 09:46:44 AM »

LOL! This thread was fun to read! Shows how much things can change so fast!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2017, 10:15:17 AM »

I was 2.
This explains a lot.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2017, 04:09:17 PM »

You're so nice.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length