KY: Anne Northup to Challenge Gov. Ernie Fletcher
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:17:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY: Anne Northup to Challenge Gov. Ernie Fletcher
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: KY: Anne Northup to Challenge Gov. Ernie Fletcher  (Read 2295 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2007, 05:16:31 PM »

A New Contender in Kentucky

By Chris Cillizza And Shailagh Murray
Sunday, January 14, 2007; Page A02

Former representative Anne Northup (Ky.) is expected to announce this week that she will challenge Gov. Ernie Fletcher for the Republican nomination in the Bluegrass State's May 22 primary.

Fletcher, who was elected to three terms in Congress before winning the governorship in 2003, has been hurt by a series of scandals centered on rewarding campaign contributors with state jobs. His cratering poll numbers have coincided with his fall from grace in the eyes of Sen. Mitch McConnell, the unquestioned godfather of the state's Republican politics.

As late as Election Day last November, no credible alternative had emerged despite Fletcher's problems. Enter Northup, who after a decade in Congress was washed away by the national Democratic wave that day.

Although she was reluctant at first to consider a reentry into politics, Northup grew more interested as public support for a bid increased over the past month. Those close to her feel confident that even though McConnell will not formally endorse a candidate in the primary, Northup will enjoy his support behind the scenes.

McConnell, who has steadfastly refused to back Fletcher's reelection bid, told the Associated Press last week that Northup would be a "formidable candidate" who "could win both in May and November."
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 05:19:38 PM »

Go Anne, she has a great shot to win in this red state
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 05:19:52 PM »

Dem hold KY-3.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 05:40:59 PM »

If, as seems likely, Northup succeeds in knocking out Fletcher in the GOP primary, expect 2007 to be a largely GOP-friendly year, with Republicans holding on to governors' mansions in Kentucky and Mississippi, as well as making a pickup in Louisiana (should Bobby Jindal throw his hat into the ring).
Conan
conan

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »

I hope she wins.  She can send a message to the Kentucky GOP that NJ Democrat style corruption is unacceptable.
At least our governor isnt corrupt. I am sure they have a few of their own corrupt legislators too.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:02:50 PM »

I hope she wins.  She can send a message to the Kentucky GOP that NJ Democrat style corruption is unacceptable.
At least our governor isnt corrupt. I am sure they have a few of their own corrupt legislators too.
You are from New Jersey and you have a Democratic governor, of course he's corrupt.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 09:59:35 PM »

You are from New Jersey and you have a Democratic governor, of course he's corrupt.

Actually, he's not. There are others who would be better governors *cough*Codey*cough*, but Corzine isn't corrupt, just filthy rich and glad to spend his money campaigning. (I don't approve, but it isn't corruption.)

Northup winning the primary, as is likely, would make Kentucky a likely GOP hold. Personally, I'm mostly just happy that Yarmuth won't have a serious challenger in 2008. Let 2007 be a "Republican" year with the incompetent Blanco wiped out.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 06:29:46 AM »

Northup winning the primary, as is likely, would make Kentucky a likely GOP hold.

Depends who the Democrats nominate. She'd stand a much better chance of winning than Fletcher.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 11:18:04 AM »

Northup winning the primary, as is likely, would make Kentucky a likely GOP hold.

Depends who the Democrats nominate. She'd stand a much better chance of winning than Fletcher.

At the state level, Kentucky has a strong Democratic tradition and there are certainly strong candidates who could beat Northup.  True, it will be more competetive but her victory is not inevitable.  Let us not forget that she has just an election anyway. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 02:53:15 PM »

Thank God. I still have a bad feeling, though, that Fletcher has done enough damage to hurt any Republican running in 2007.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 04:19:29 PM »

That's like saying that Bob Taft has a bright politcal future.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 08:15:54 PM »

That's like saying that Bob Taft has a bright politcal future.

Do you have a single example of Corzine doing something corrupt?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 01:55:54 AM »

Republicans holding on to governors' mansions in Mississippi,
do NOT assume this is a sure bet
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 02:54:29 AM »

I have a feeling that Louisvillian Northup may have a little trouble picking up ancestral Democrats in the Eastern coal fields and Western Kentucky. 
In a competitive race, Democrats should get about 60% in Jefferson County.  But if Democrats do well in rural areas, its not necessary.  In 2002, for instance, Scotty Baesler won less than 45% in Jefferson County and still came within a few hundred votes of beating Bunning. 

Democrats have an attractive candidate in Johnathan Miller.  And I think Northup is going to have a tough ride, especially since GOP congresscritters have recently had a hard time breaking into statehouses.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 05:01:16 PM »

I have a feeling that Louisvillian Northup may have a little trouble picking up ancestral Democrats in the Eastern coal fields and Western Kentucky. 
In a competitive race, Democrats should get about 60% in Jefferson County.  But if Democrats do well in rural areas, its not necessary.  In 2002, for instance, Scotty Baesler won less than 45% in Jefferson County and still came within a few hundred votes of beating Bunning. 

Democrats have an attractive candidate in Johnathan Miller.  And I think Northup is going to have a tough ride, especially since GOP congresscritters have recently had a hard time breaking into statehouses.

Bunning wasn't up that year.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »

Bunning wasn't up that year.

I meant 1998.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies