RISK Capital II: Finished!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 10:55:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK Capital II: Finished!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21
Author Topic: RISK Capital II: Finished!  (Read 60723 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: February 20, 2007, 06:39:26 PM »

Place 1 battalion in North Carolina and 2 in Georgia.

Attack NC -> VA and GA-> AL -> MS as long as I have more dice on offense than the defense has.

If I take VA, tactical move 2 battalions WI -> MI, otherwise await further orders.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #326 on: February 20, 2007, 06:41:48 PM »

You damn idiots... now Colin is going to win for sure.  All he has to do is take Michigan and Florida... wow... that's gonna be really hard for him.
You're the idiot for not getting my five cards before him. (shrugs)

Anyways, taking Hawaii and Texas might be much the easier task than taking Michigan and Florida.

First off, I was acctually hoping that either MAS or Ernest would get those cards, since it woudl take everyone's focus off of me for a few seconds and help the ignite a new phase of combat in the East.

Secondly, I stopped so I could set up a defensive perimeter in the hopes that I could prevent the same kinda thing that Colin just did to me.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #327 on: February 20, 2007, 06:53:19 PM »

First off, I was actually hoping that either MAS or Ernest would get those cards, since it would take everyone's focus off of me for a few seconds and help the ignite a new phase of combat in the East.

How could I have gotten the cards?  Even if neither MAS nor Colin did, Lewis' turn was before mine and he would have used up three of them plus gotten extra battalions for himself.  No, I think you tried to pull a cute trick with MAS taking Lewis' cards before he could use them and then you taking Lewis' and MAS' cards before MAS could use them.  Unfortunately, the dice didn't coöperate and MAS didn't take out Lewis but Colin did.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #328 on: February 20, 2007, 06:54:53 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2007, 06:58:44 PM by Supersoulty »

Well... I hope that, at least now, that starting disadvantage that I told everyone I had has become clearer.

I have to take a whole sh**t load of territory to get to someone elses capital.  Then, if I hope to get units, I have to hold down that territory.  That draws my forces out over massive amounsts of land.  Eventually, the battle between having to hold territory and having to hold capitals causes one of the two to suffer... then I have to shift resources to the other, which is turn... and so on.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #329 on: February 20, 2007, 06:56:42 PM »

First off, I was actually hoping that either MAS or Ernest would get those cards, since it would take everyone's focus off of me for a few seconds and help the ignite a new phase of combat in the East.

How could I have gotten the cards?  Even if neither MAS nor Colin did, Lewis' turn was before mine and he would have used up three of them plus gotten extra battalions for himself.  No, I think you tried to pull a cute trick with MAS taking Lewis' cards before he could use them and then you taking Lewis' and MAS' cards before MAS could use them.  Unfortunately, the dice didn't coöperate and MAS didn't take out Lewis but Colin did.

You would have gotten some of them, no?  I didn't say I wanted you to have all of the cards, only that I was hoping you would get some and combine them with whatever you had.

For me to have expected to take MAS out in one turn is pretty ambitious, even for me.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #330 on: February 20, 2007, 07:05:04 PM »

Ernest... if you don't go after Colin, so help me God I will put every last bit of everything I have left into crushing you like a Walnut.

Do you think I care whether you or Colin wins?  To keep you from winning I had to take a risk that I'd hand Colin the victory.  Now shut up and let me strategerize.

Delayed resonse, I know, but...

No... but I think you care about you winning, and if Colin does, you don't... its as simple as that.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #331 on: February 20, 2007, 07:26:45 PM »

For me to have expected to take MAS out in one turn is pretty ambitious, even for me.

Not if you'd been able to hold onto the Plains or at least the Pacific.  Even in your weakened state, you'd have a good chance of doing so except that it would definitely hand Colin the victory before you could use those cards.  Besides the reinforcements you'll be getting you have decent reserves in Iowa, Kansas, and California.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #332 on: February 20, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »

Reinforcements

Of the 3 available battalions, 1 battalion has been deployed in North Carolina, where there are now 3 in total; and 2 battalions have been deployed in Georgia, where there are now 4 in total.

Attacks

North Carolina invades Virginia (Colin Wixted) with 2 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Virginia.

Ernest [2] rolls 2 dice: 4 2
Colin Wixted [1] rolls 1 die: 3
Colin Wixted loses 1 battalion

Ernest conquers Virginia and places 2 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in North Carolina.

----------

* General Colin Wixted has lost control of the Mid-Atlantic region *

----------

Georgia invades Alabama (MAS117) with 3 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Alabama.

Ernest [3] rolls 3 dice: 5 4 1
MAS117 [1] rolls 1 die: 3
MAS117 loses 1 battalion

Ernest conquers Alabama and places 3 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Georgia.

----------

Alabama invades Mississippi (MAS117) with 2 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Mississippi.

Ernest [2] rolls 2 dice: 4 1
MAS117 [1] rolls 1 die: 5
Ernest loses 1 battalion

Ernest retreats from Mississippi with 1 available remaining, while MAS117 still controls Mississippi with 1 battalion.

----------

Tactical Move

2 battalions have been moved from Wisconsin to Michigan.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #333 on: February 20, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »

New map:

General Supersoulty, it is your turn.  You have 4 reinforcements.

+ [13 states ÷ 3 = 4 reinforcements]
+ [No regions held]
= 4 reinforcements
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #334 on: February 20, 2007, 08:17:13 PM »

Well... time to do another "Draino Manuver" and clear out the pipe.

Put all reinforcements into Washington.

Washington ----> Oregon
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #335 on: February 20, 2007, 08:37:16 PM »

The 2 battalions you get for the Washington card must be placed there, which means you have 18 available to deploy where you want.

Huh... how worthless... fine put them them and remove one from North Dakota and one from Kansas

Washington ----> Oregon

Those 2 battalions in Washington aren't quite as worthless as you thought.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #336 on: February 20, 2007, 08:45:21 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2007, 11:34:58 PM by Supersoulty »

The 2 battalions you get for the Washington card must be placed there, which means you have 18 available to deploy where you want.

Huh... how worthless... fine put them them and remove one from North Dakota and one from Kansas

Washington ----> Oregon

Those 2 battalions in Washington aren't quite as worthless as you thought.

Quiet you.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #337 on: February 21, 2007, 04:59:11 AM »

I don't get what either of you are doing. I guess I kind of get why Ernest didn't leave Michigan, cause that would have left a capital defenceless. But Soulty, why not put your reinoforcements in Iowa and try to clean up Colin in the East?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #338 on: February 21, 2007, 09:27:15 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2007, 09:29:29 AM by Lewis Trondheim - Immortal since 12/16/1978 »

You damn idiots... now Colin is going to win for sure.  All he has to do is take Michigan and Florida... wow... that's gonna be really hard for him.
You're the idiot for not getting my five cards before him. (shrugs)

Anyways, taking Hawaii and Texas might be much the easier task than taking Michigan and Florida.

First off, I was acctually hoping that either MAS or Ernest would get those cards, since it woudl take everyone's focus off of me for a few seconds and help the ignite a new phase of combat in the East.

Secondly, I stopped so I could set up a defensive perimeter in the hopes that I could prevent the same kinda thing that Colin just did to me.
But you couldn't set up a defensive perimeter. Missouri was way too weak for that (despite costing MAS dearly), and the Iowa-Minnesota troops pile defends exactly nothing.

You couldn't prevent what Colin just did to you, but you could have ensured that it wouldn't matter if you'd put those cards out of contention.
Fatally weakening an opponent fat with cards without killing him, while there are other players in turn in between you and him, just is just about the single dumbest thing one can do in Risk. You probably threw the entire game to Colin with that move (well, you along with MAS' dierolls, I'll grant you that. But leaving me for MAS to finish off only makes sense, as Ernest has pointed out, if you had had reason to believe you could wipe out MAS right away afterwards, which as you yourself have pointed out, you did not. Oh, and another thing I'll grant you: Ernest did make a mistake the round before in not denying Colin the Mid-Atlantic bonus.)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #339 on: February 21, 2007, 09:57:36 AM »

I don't have time for an appropriate response... just know my scientists are working on a series of Wonder Weapons.  Soon you will all feel Nazi... I mean... Pacific Wrath.

MEIN FUEHER... I CAN WALK
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #340 on: February 21, 2007, 10:05:14 AM »

I don't have time for an appropriate response... just know my scientists are working on a series of Wonder Weapons.  Soon you will all feel Nazi... I mean... Pacific Wrath.
I hope so... I don't want the game quite over yet. Smiley

I don't see it though.

Although... re Gustaf: Who says he's not doing something of the kind? He still can.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #341 on: February 21, 2007, 11:56:11 AM »

I don't see it though.

Although... re Gustaf: Who says he's not doing something of the kind? He still can.

Well, I guess...but then he should have put his reinforcements in Iowa, not Washington. Actually, it wasn't necessarily wrong by Ernest to not attack Colin. Things are evening out now, giving him a chance to be kingmaker.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #342 on: February 21, 2007, 01:01:14 PM »

Man I wish I would have stayed in this game longer.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #343 on: February 21, 2007, 01:21:54 PM »

Ernest did make a mistake the round before in not denying Colin the Mid-Atlantic bonus.
I disagree, in round 5 I assumed that Soulty would likely finish you off and get those cards, in which case the last thing I would want would be to deprive another player of 3 battalions that could be used against the Soulty juggernaut.  Granted, had I known that Colin would be the one to get those cards I should have attacked Virginia from North Carolina back then, but you must admit that was an unexpected development.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #344 on: February 21, 2007, 03:35:48 PM »

I don't see it though.

Well, I guess...but then he should have put his reinforcements in Iowa, not Washington. Actually, it wasn't necessarily wrong by Ernest to not attack Colin. Things are evening out now, giving him a chance to be kingmaker.

Okay... lets assume for a moment that I did what you are suggesting and put all my people in Iowa and beat up Colin back East... what good woudl doing that do me?  With 9 bats, would I have enough to take his capital?  No.  Would I have enough to take enough territory to sginificantly hurt him next turn... no... not if he has cards.  Woudl I gain more reenforcments next turn... probably not if he just kicks my ass back to the Midwest... so what woudl I gain from that?  Do I not gain much more by trying to force him out and get the 10 bats I would have for controling the Plains and Pacific region?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #345 on: February 21, 2007, 04:00:04 PM »

I don't see it though.

Okay... lets assume for a moment that I did what you are suggesting and put all my people in Iowa and beat up Colin back East... what good woudl doing that do me?  With 9 bats, would I have enough to take his capital?  No.  Would I have enough to take enough territory to sginificantly hurt him next turn... no... not if he has cards.  Woudl I gain more reenforcments next turn... probably not if he just kicks my ass back to the Midwest... so what woudl I gain from that?  Do I not gain much more by trying to force him out and get the 10 bats I would have for controling the Plains and Pacific region?

Ehm. If Colin gets not just the Risk cards but also the regional bonus he's gonna deprive you of both those regions next turn anyway. Turning the tables on him would have made his position inifitely weaker, IMO.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #346 on: February 21, 2007, 05:53:57 PM »

Reinforcements

All 4 battalions have been deployed in Washington, where there are now 7 in total.

Attacks

Washington invades Oregon (Colin Wixted) with 6 battalions available to attack, while 3 battalions will defend Oregon.

Supersoulty [6] rolls 3 dice: 4 4 3
Colin Wixted [3] rolls 2 dice: 5 4
Supersoulty loses 2 battalions

Supersoulty [4] rolls 3 dice: 4 4 2
Colin Wixted [3] rolls 2 dice: 2 1
Colin Wixted loses 2 battalions

Supersoulty [4] rolls 3 dice: 3 2 1
Colin Wixted [1] rolls 1 die: 2

Supersoulty conquers Oregon and places 4 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Washington.

----------

* General Supersoulty has retaken control of the Pacific region *
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #347 on: February 21, 2007, 07:56:45 PM »

Oregon----> Idaho
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #348 on: February 21, 2007, 08:02:23 PM »

Attacks (cont.)

Oregon invades Idaho (Colin Wixted) with 3 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend Idaho.

Supersoulty [3] rolls 3 dice: 6 1 1
Colin Wixted [1] rolls 1 die: 5

Supersoulty conquers Idaho and places 3 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Oregon.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2007, 08:32:42 PM »

I don't see it though.

Ehm. If Colin gets not just the Risk cards but also the regional bonus he's gonna deprive you of both those regions next turn anyway. Turning the tables on him would have made his position inifitely weaker, IMO.

As long as it keeps him busy doing something other than winning, what in the Hell do I care?  He has to coem at me to assure a win... as long as I can stave him off, he doesn't win.  Eventually, Ernest will be stong enough to challenge him again, taking the focus off of me in my weakened state... the game continues.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies