World View of US Role Goes From Bad to Worse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:42:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  World View of US Role Goes From Bad to Worse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: World View of US Role Goes From Bad to Worse  (Read 4150 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 02:02:28 PM »

I'll put this simply...  "Who cares."  So what if other countries don't like what we do.  If they think they can do it better, then by all means, do it.  Don't just arm-chair quarterback and complain.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »

I'll put this simply...  "Who cares."  So what if other countries don't like what we do.  If they think they can do it better, then by all means, do it.  Don't just arm-chair quarterback and complain.

I think they would do just that if they were, you know, the world's foremost superpower.

Honestly, I don't understand why so many Americans don't seem to realize that what their country does, by its very status that many Americans so love to gloat about, impacts everyone else in the world.  You can't have your cake and eat it too by being the world's superpower and then acting like you're an island whose business does not concern anyone else.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 02:28:08 PM »

I think they would do just that if they were, you know, the world's foremost superpower.

Honestly, I don't understand why so many Americans don't seem to realize that what their country does, by its very status that many Americans so love to gloat about, impacts everyone else in the world.  You can't have your cake and eat it too by being the world's superpower and then acting like you're an island whose business does not concern anyone else.

I've never advocated that it didn't, and I don't think most Americans do either.  However, there are more than enough nations out there (plus the UN) who can do what they leave for the US to handle, and then complain about how it was handled.  Darfur, for example, could have easily been handled by the UN or EU (or even the AU if they could get their act together).  However, the issue has landed on the back of the US as if it is our responsibility to go in there.  An example of them doing what they should is with Ethiopia.  With back-up support and training by the US, they were able to go in and assist their neighbor with the terrorism threat.  That should be an example to more developed nations...  If Ethiopia can do it, so can we.  The US does have a lot of implied responsibilities due to its Superpower status, and that can't be denied.  So let us handle the things on top (wars, mass-financing of pro-Western nations, etc) and everyone else do their share of the second-tiered issues, rather than expecting us to handle that as well.  And, if you don't like the way it is handled . . . DO SOMETHING rather than complain. 

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 03:46:32 PM »

These polls are totally irrelevant because they never polled Canada, America's most important relation.

Ummmm... *cough*

Please don't cough on me. I'm trying to avoid a cold.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 06:26:25 PM »

These polls are totally irrelevant because they never polled Canada, America's most important relation.

Ummmm... *cough*

If you're trying to avoid a cold, you should move out of Canada for a warmer climate.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 07:33:01 PM »

Europe just wishes they could have some of the prosperity this nation has attained. And I have no doubt they are jealous of our unemployment rate. Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 08:02:40 PM »

Ummmm... *cough*

If you're trying to avoid a cold, you should move out of Canada for a warmer climate.

"The" cold and "a" cold are two different things.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies