World View of US Role Goes From Bad to Worse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:46:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: World View of US Role Goes From Bad to Worse  (Read 4121 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2007, 03:33:42 AM »

The global view of the United States’ role in world affairs has significantly deteriorated over the last year according to a BBC World Service poll of more than 26,000 people across 25 different countries.

President Bush announces his new Iraq strategy on 11 January 2007 (Eric Draper/White House photo)

As the United States government prepares to send a further 21,500 troops to Iraq, the survey reveals that three in four (73%) disapprove of how the US government has dealt with Iraq.

The poll shows that in the 18 countries that were previously polled, the average percentage saying that the United States is having a mainly positive influence in the world has dropped seven points from a year ago--from 36 percent to 29 percent—after having already dropped four points the year before. Across all 25 countries polled, one citizen in two (49%) now says the US is playing a mainly negative role in the world.

Over two-thirds (68%) believe the US military presence in the Middle East provokes more conflict than it prevents and only 17 percent believes US troops there are a stabilizing force.

The poll shows that world citizens disapprove of the way the US government has handled all six of the foreign policy areas explored. After the Iraq war (73% disapproval), majorities across the 25 countries also disapprove of US handling of Guantanamo detainees (67%), the Israeli-Hezbollah war (65%), Iran’s nuclear program (60%), global warming (56%), and North Korea’s nuclear program (54%).

Steven Kull, director of the Program on International Policy Attitudes comments, “According to world public opinion, these days the US government hardly seems to be able to do anything right.”

The survey of 26,381 respondents across 25 countries was conducted for the BBC World Service by the international polling firm GlobeScan together with the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA) at the University of Maryland. GlobeScan coordinated fieldwork during November 2006 to January 2007 (mainly following the US mid-term elections).

GlobeScan president Doug Miller comments, “The US Administration’s recent decision to send more troops to Iraq is at odds with global public opinion that thinks the US military presence in the region provokes more conflict than it prevents. This policy is likely to further hurt America’s image.”

Among the 25 countries polled, the most common view in 18 of them is that the United States is having a mainly negative influence, in five the most common view is that the US is having a positive influence, and in two views are evenly divided. The most positive countries are Nigeria (72% mainly positive) and the Philippines (72%), while the most negative countries are Germany (74% mainly negative) and Indonesia (71%).

Some of the sharpest drops in positive ratings over the last year came from four countries that have tended to be quite positive about the United States. Poland’s positive ratings dropped 24 points from 62 percent a year ago to 38 percent. The Philippines dropped 13 points from a very high 85 percent to a still-high 72 percent. India fell from 44 percent to 30 percent. Indonesia plunged 19 points—40 percent to 21 percent positive—perhaps due to the waning of the positive effect of the American aid to Indonesian tsunami victims.

Asked about specific foreign policy areas, in most of the 25 countries the most common view was disapproval of how the US was handling the situation, including how the US is handling the situation in Iraq (21 countries disapproving), detainees in Guantanamo and other prisons (22 countries), the war between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon (20 countries), Iran’s nuclear program (20 countries), North Korea’s nuclear program (19 countries), and global warming or climate change (19 countries).

The US military presence in the Middle East is exceedingly unpopular. In 23 of 25 countries the most common view is that it “provokes more conflict than it prevents.” While in only one country (Nigeria) is the most common view that the US presence is stabilizing.

Interestingly the American public also seems to have serious doubts about US foreign policy. Majorities disapprove of how the US is handling the war in Iraq (57%) and global warming or climate change (54%), while pluralities disapprove of US treatment of detainees in Guantanamo and other prisons (50%) and its handling of Iran’s nuclear program (50%). Views are divided on US handling of the war in Lebanon. The one area that receives plurality endorsement is the US handling of North Korea’s nuclear weapons program (50%). A majority of 53 percent of Americans say that the US military presence in the Middle East “provokes more conflict than it prevents,” with just 33 percent saying that it is a stabilizing force.

More broadly, a majority of Americans (57%) say that the US is having a mainly positive influence in the world. This is down from 63 percent a year ago and 71 percent two years ago.

In total 26,381 citizens in Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Chile, China, Egypt, France, Germany, Great Britain, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Italy, Kenya, Lebanon, Mexico, Nigeria, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Russia, South Korea, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and the United States were interviewed between 3 November 2006 and 9 January 2007. Polling was conducted for the BBC World Service by the international polling firm GlobeScan and its research partners in each country. In 10 of the 25 countries, the sample was limited to major urban areas. The margin of error per country ranges from +/-2.5 to 4 percent.

To read more about opinion in Africa, click here.
To read more about opinion in Asia, click here.
To read more about opinion in Europe, click here.
To read more about opinion in Latin America, click here.
To read more about opinion in the Middle East, click here.

http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/home_page/306.php?nid=&id=&pnt=306&lb=hmpg1
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:51:39 AM »

I'm surprised about the Australian results. Australia's foreign policy is very similar to the US's, but has far more support. I think the respondants were thinking about Bush more than anything, who nobody likes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 07:19:10 AM »

And here is the answer to the question:

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 09:26:55 AM »

Sad Sad, but not surprising. Better a nation be respected, than reviled. The US used to be widely respected Smiley

As for George W Bush is concerned, look at it this way, he hasn't helped

Dave
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 09:57:32 AM »

I'd love to see polls if the US tried doing the opposite of what it's doing now or doing nothing at all. I suspect the poll numbers would be exactly the same.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 12:19:44 PM »

I'd love to see polls if the US tried doing the opposite of what it's doing now or doing nothing at all. I suspect the poll numbers would be exactly the same.

I'd like to see polls of the US with basically any other president whatsoever, because I suspect that those poll numbers would be inevitably higher.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 01:26:01 PM »

HOW MANY ELECTORAL VOTES DOES THE WORLD HAVE?!?!?!

How important is it to helping the US achieve its political, economic, and foreign policy goals?

Very.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 01:30:25 PM »

How important is it to helping the US achieve its political, economic, and foreign policy goals?

Very.

Silly bullmoose, the United States is an island.  It doesn't need any other countries in the world to survive.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 01:34:36 PM »

Very.

Silly bullmoose, the United States is an island.  It doesn't need any other countries in the world to survive.

I like to think of it more as an Archipelago.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 01:41:08 PM »

What about a confederation of icebergs?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 01:45:50 PM »

What about a confederation of icebergs?

The Confederacy lost the war, duh.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 01:47:11 PM »

What surprised me was Nigeria, which is technically a Muslim country.

Can someone explain that one for me?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 02:00:44 PM »

Bill Clinton often seems to be something like a rock star here in Germany.

Of course, his image is quite idealized and romanticized... I guess mainly because of the underachiever who succeeded Clinton. Tongue

But all in all, the United States was indeed seen as a much more benevolant (or at least less malevolent, depends on who you ask) power during the Clinton administration.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »

I'd like to see polls of the US with basically any other president whatsoever, because I suspect that those poll numbers would be inevitably higher.

Indeed

Yesterday in a column in the Daily Mirror in an article by Gavin Esler, who is a BBC Newsnight presenter and former Chief North America Correspondent, wrote:

It is one thing to disagree with Bush policy, but it is far more damaging when the president of the most powerful country of the world is dismissed routinely as a joke

There is, undoubtedly, some truth in that. Whether Americans like it or not, the US President is, in reality, much more than the President of the United States of America

Would it not be better for America to have a president, who commands respect Smiley on an international level, than to have one, who seems to just elicit ridicule and contempt? Doesn't American prestige Smiley matter any more?

And I speak as an Americophile Wink

Dave
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 02:52:41 AM »

These polls are totally irrelevant because they never polled Canada, America's most important relation.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 05:57:58 PM »

Americans are not a numerous people and nobody loves us.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 12:22:09 AM »

These polls are totally irrelevant because they never polled Canada, America's most important relation.

I think we can all guess that Canada is probably just above France in how much it approves of the US.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 01:07:56 AM »

I think we can all guess that Canada is probably just above France in how much it approves of the US.

I´d say they are the average of the UK and France with their opinion ...
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 05:13:41 PM »

I´d say they are the average of the UK and France with their opinion ...

Canada, constantly threatened by American cultural takeover, tends to define itself as opposed to the US. Even when the US is mostly acting the way Canada is acting (like during the Clinton years), Canada disapproves.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 09:56:35 AM »

Nobody's explained what's so special about Nigeria and Kenya that makes their populations notably pro-US.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2007, 10:47:08 AM »

Ummmm... *cough*
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2007, 11:02:21 AM »

Nobody's explained what's so special about Nigeria and Kenya that makes their populations notably pro-US.

I think both of these countries have majority Christian populations that are reacting against vocal Muslim minority groups that want to impose Sharia law on everyone and return to the stone age.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 11:46:15 AM »

I think both of these countries have majority Christian populations that are reacting against vocal Muslim minority groups that want to impose Sharia law on everyone and return to the stone age.

But Nigeria's 50% Muslim...
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 11:51:43 AM »

Ummmm... *cough*

Smiley
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2007, 12:27:36 PM »

Would it not be better for America to have a president, who commands respect Smiley on an international level, than to have one, who seems to just elicit ridicule and contempt? Doesn't American prestige Smiley matter any more?

Not to conservatives.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies