World View of US Role Goes From Bad to Worse (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:25:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  World View of US Role Goes From Bad to Worse (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: World View of US Role Goes From Bad to Worse  (Read 4163 times)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« on: January 23, 2007, 09:26:55 AM »

Sad Sad, but not surprising. Better a nation be respected, than reviled. The US used to be widely respected Smiley

As for George W Bush is concerned, look at it this way, he hasn't helped

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »

I'd love to see polls if the US tried doing the opposite of what it's doing now or doing nothing at all. I suspect the poll numbers would be exactly the same.

I'd like to see polls of the US with basically any other president whatsoever, because I suspect that those poll numbers would be inevitably higher.

Indeed

Yesterday in a column in the Daily Mirror in an article by Gavin Esler, who is a BBC Newsnight presenter and former Chief North America Correspondent, wrote:

It is one thing to disagree with Bush policy, but it is far more damaging when the president of the most powerful country of the world is dismissed routinely as a joke

There is, undoubtedly, some truth in that. Whether Americans like it or not, the US President is, in reality, much more than the President of the United States of America

Would it not be better for America to have a president, who commands respect Smiley on an international level, than to have one, who seems to just elicit ridicule and contempt? Doesn't American prestige Smiley matter any more?

And I speak as an Americophile Wink

Dave
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies