Kerry's Catholicism...does it matter? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:55:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Kerry's Catholicism...does it matter? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kerry's Catholicism...does it matter?  (Read 6755 times)
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« on: January 29, 2004, 11:21:51 AM »

Lieberman's Jewishness could hurt him, but not because of traditional anti-Semitism, which is a form of racism.

Today's new emerging anti-Semitism does not take the form of racial bigotry as much as anti-Zionism, that is, the sentiment that Israel does not have the right to exist as a Jewish state. Although more prevalent in the Mideast and continental Europe, this sentiment is found among some Democrats on the far left here.

Although Lieberman certainly is a strong supporter of Israel, he is not a supporter of Sharon's policies - in Israel he would be considered to be on the left.

While I don't see Lieberman as a nominee losing a northeast Democratic state, I could see his support among Democrats as more tepid in California or Oregon.

However,  his conservatism and emphasis on values would make him competitive in a number of more conservative midwest and possibly southern states.
Mort from NewYawk
MortfromNewYawk

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 12:42:13 PM »

<<<While I don't see Lieberman as a nominee losing a northeast Democratic state, I could see his support among Democrats as more tepid in California or Oregon.>>>

If Lieberman had less support in Oregon and California it wouldn't be because he's Jewish.

Let's see. Oregon, not exactly a heavily Jewish state, has a Jewish Senatator as well as a Jewish mayor of the largest (by far) city.

California has 2 Jewish senators as well as a slew of reps that are Jewish.

Last time I checked, all 7 democratic reps from southern california that weren't black or hispanic were Jewish.

What is the logic behind your reasoning Mort?

The support of Lieberman among hard left Democrats would not be tepid because he's Jewish, but because he would be perceived as a Zionist Jew (supportive of Israel as a Jewish state, not open to compromises such as the "one-state" solution).

Why do I feel west coast lefties would be more unhappy with him than the east coast variety?

It's rather unscientific, but among my liberal friends (and I have many on both coasts), I find those in OR and CA more dogmatic, more affiliated with campaign organizations, and less inclined to support Israel as the collective global representation of the Jewish people (regardless of their religion) than my friends in the Northeast.

The Democrats are in a very agitated state this year - my arguments for Lieberman are met with hostility and disdain ("You sound like a Republican!" [said with disgust]).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies