primary poll scatter plots for each candidate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:15:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  primary poll scatter plots for each candidate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: primary poll scatter plots for each candidate  (Read 1882 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2007, 11:46:59 AM »

While I don't think the national polls mean very much, since everything's going to be decided by the early primary states, this page is nonetheless pretty interesting:

http://www.pollster.com/charles_franklin/national_support_for_2008_pres.php

It features graphs that plot the support of each of the candidates (including those who've now dropped out) in national primary matchups, using all of the public polls from the last 2+ years.  There are a few interesting trends.....like the fact that Kerry's support has been in decline at a nearly constant rate over the last two years.  It's also interesting how, while Romney is still a distant 3rd of 4th in every national GOP primary poll, he's made steady gains over the last two years.  He's now up to the high single digits, whereas two years ago, he was essentially at zero.  Of course, he's going to have to speed up his ascent if he wants to catch Giuliani and McCain!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:45:51 AM »

Clinton making big gains:

http://www.pollster.com/TopDems.php

Giuliani and Gingrich rising, as McCain and Romney are flat:

http://www.pollster.com/TopReps.php
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 11:49:13 AM »

Thanks.  Smiley

I couldn't figure out how to post images.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 04:10:45 PM »

Update:

Giuliani's lead continues to grow, but Obama's the one who's really taking off right now.  Gingrich's numbers keep going up (slowly), even though he isn't running.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 09:40:39 PM »

It looks like Edwards benefits from Gore not being in the race.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 10:29:53 AM »

Update:

The Democratic race has gotten kind of boring, but on the GOP side, look at Thompson's momentum vs. Giuliani and McCain's negative momentum.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 11:13:24 AM »

Good work.

Also note that even with the advent of Fred Thompson, Romney has shown modest national improvement while Giuliani and McVain have been declining.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 04:13:19 PM »

They've added scatter plots for the early primary states:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 03:50:39 PM »

Pollster.com has put up a special "McCain collapse" plot that shows that McCain's numbers in the early primary states have fallen harder than his national numbers:

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 10:29:35 PM »

Pollster.com has put up a special "McCain collapse" plot that shows that McCain's numbers in the early primary states have fallen harder than his national numbers:

Yes, this reflects what I said a few weeks ago about what I said about McCain and Giuliani being overrated in a number of national polls.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 12:10:51 PM »

As this latest plot shows, the candidate with the most negative momentum in the national GOP polls right now is Fred Thompson.  Given the current trends, might McCain actually retake second place in the national polls before the end of the year?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 12:16:02 PM »

As this latest plot shows, the candidate with the most negative momentum in the national GOP polls right now is Fred Thompson.  Given the current trends, might McCain actually retake second place in the national polls before the end of the year?

This trend would put Huckabee right below Giuliani.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 12:35:17 PM »

You mean if all the trendlines were to continue in exactly the same direction they are now through January?  Well yeah, but I don't know that they're all going to keep going exactly as they are now for that long.  Not sure that Huckabee can keep gaining at his present rate for that long.  But McCain and Thompson are close enough that I was thinking their trendlines might cross again before the year is out.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 04:25:53 PM »

You mean if all the trendlines were to continue in exactly the same direction they are now through January?  Well yeah, but I don't know that they're all going to keep going exactly as they are now for that long.  Not sure that Huckabee can keep gaining at his present rate for that long.  But McCain and Thompson are close enough that I was thinking their trendlines might cross again before the year is out.

I think McCain's done - like Hillary will be.  Thompson's fad - when he dies down, he's done.  Giuliani will fall, just like McCain.  Huckabee will gain some, and level out.  Romney will win.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »

I agree that Romney is the most likely to win (though I think it's close between him and Giuliani).  But there's no way that Romney is going to take the lead in the national polls until after he wins Iowa and/or New Hampshire.  I'm not thinking that far out in the future.  Just saying that, in the short term, I think Thompson might very well drop below McCain in the national polls.  Of course this is a state-by-state by contest, so the national polls ultimately don't mean anything about who's going to win the nomination.  It was just an observation.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 12:19:35 AM »

I agree that Romney is the most likely to win (though I think it's close between him and Giuliani).  But there's no way that Romney is going to take the lead in the national polls until after he wins Iowa and/or New Hampshire.  I'm not thinking that far out in the future.  Just saying that, in the short term, I think Thompson might very well drop below McCain in the national polls.  Of course this is a state-by-state by contest, so the national polls ultimately don't mean anything about who's going to win the nomination.  It was just an observation.

Oh, I agree, but neither did Kerry.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 06:47:47 PM »

McCain has indeed passed Thompson (just barely) for second place in the national polls, at least for now:

Might Romney actually pass Thompson for 3rd place before the year is over?  I think he might.  Meanwhile, the Dem. race remains far more static and boring, with the Clinton-Obama-Edwards-Richardson ordering having remained for some time now.

Some of the craziness in the early primary states:

Huck-mentum in Iowa:

Thompson meltdown into 6th place in NH:

Complete clusterf#@k in SC:

Huck-mentum and Mitt-mentum in FL:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 12:40:38 PM »

Holy cow, Huck-mentum!  With the recent national polls, Huckabee's a few tenths of a percent ahead of both McCain and Thompson in the national poll trendline, meaning he's now (barely) in second place:

I probably wouldn't have believed you if, even as recently as a month ago, you'd told me that Huckabee would soon be in 2nd place in the national polls.  One can only imagine where he'll be in the national polls if he actually wins a primary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies