The Irony Scenerio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:57:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  The Irony Scenerio
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Irony Scenerio  (Read 2113 times)
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2004, 10:03:44 PM »

In what will likely in the opinion of many be a close election, the question gets tossed around about the posibility of the PV and EV going in opposite directions.

Someone else already covered the question of Bush winning the EV, and Kerry the PV, so my question reverses that - What if Kerry wins the EV and Bush the PV?   It is feasable - a strong turnout in Bush's southern strongholds, offset by narrow victories by Kerry in the battleground states and low turnout in his safe states.

Would we have republicans crying unfair, while democrats told them to 'get over it'?  Would there be massive complaining on talk radio?   Would there finally be a serious movement to amend the constitution and do away with the EC?   I'm curious.  Any opinions?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 11:35:54 PM »

It's a lot more difficult for the GOP to win the popular vote while losing the electoral vote. If the popular vote of each state were adjusted in the same ratio that the electoral vote was affected, then Bush would have had a 36,000 vote margin in the adjusted popular vote.  The electoral colllege did exactly what it was designed to in 2000, it gave the small states more clout than they otherwise would have had.
cwelsch

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 12:25:43 AM »

Yeah, exactly.  Whoever wins mosty of the threes and fours gets disproportionally more EVs in relation to the PV.

Which of course is the entire point behind having a bicameral legislature in this country.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 08:30:28 AM »

While it is true that the EC benefits small states there is also winner-takes-all, which I believe work for the Democrats due to their strength in big states. Also, the size of state-majorities and turnout in different states are also very important. I suspect Democratic areas often have lower turnout? If you look at all factors there is not all that much supporting the theory that the EC benefts the Republicans a lot...Gore was only a few hundred votes from winning in 2000, it could very easily have been reversed back then.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 08:43:44 AM »

When I was crunching the numbers for the 36,000 figure I gave earlier, I also crunched winner take all numbers with EV proportional to population and Gore would have won 269.12-268.88.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 12:41:23 PM »

When I was crunching the numbers for the 36,000 figure I gave earlier, I also crunched winner take all numbers with EV proportional to population and Gore would have won 269.12-268.88.

You mean it'd have been a 269-269 tie and Bush would have won it in the house? Tongue

And did all states get EVs in this system of yours?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 02:45:47 PM »

No each state gote a number of EV's equal to 538 * state population / total population of the 50 states and DC without any rounding being applied.  Then winner take all was applied to the votes of each state.
stry_cat

Political Matrix
E: 6.25, S: -1.38

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 07:51:21 PM »

No each state gote a number of EV's equal to 538 * state population / total population of the 50 states and DC without any rounding being applied.  
Not exactly.  Each state gets (435 * statepop/totalpop) + 2.  DC gets 3.  Electoral votes is equal to the number of Representatives + number of Senators in Congress.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 08:50:52 PM »

No each state got a number of EV's equal to 538 * state population / total population of the 50 states and DC without any rounding being applied.  
Not exactly.  Each state gets (435 * statepop/totalpop) + 2.  DC gets 3.  Electoral votes is equal to the number of Representatives + number of Senators in Congress.
I was explicitly undoing the advantage that small states get in the electoral college with my method. Very small states get an advantage from round off as well, but that in no way compares to the advtage that states with 8 or fewer representatives in the House gain in the Electoral College gain by counting Senators as well.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 12:22:02 PM »

Here's my idea:

We use the same EV structure except in any state for each 5% a candidate wins by that candidate gets an extra 1 EV.

For example, you have DC with 3 electoral votes. Say Kerry wins DC by 70%. That would give Kerry 14 extra EV's there making 17 EV's for DC. I know that sounds strange, but it takes into account the overwhelming opinion a state has about one candidate or another.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2004, 11:43:27 PM »

That Colorado Amendment makes it much more likely that Bush could win PV but lose the EV...it would give Kerry 4 free EVs without gaining him a single popular vote.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 03:21:51 PM »

Your scenario would most likely be just like 2000. The radicals in the Republican Party (like Ann Coulter) would cry fowl, and than the radicals in Democratic Party (like Michael Moore) would tell them shut up.

Mainstream Democrats and Republicans would just get over it, just like in 2000.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies