"The Way Down South" [article by Bob Moser in The Nation] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:06:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  "The Way Down South" [article by Bob Moser in The Nation] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "The Way Down South" [article by Bob Moser in The Nation]  (Read 6710 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: February 14, 2007, 11:18:11 AM »

Note to self:

If you find yourself constantly treating a whole section of the nation like specimens under glass, then it is a sign you really don’t have much in common with that section.

If an individual of a whole section of society perceives being under examination, then the individual will treat the examiner as an outsider.

Well you have to admit that the South is a very distinct cultural and political entity within the Anglophonic world. I think the closest thing to the South is probably Quebec since it's really the only other place in any other English speaking immigrant country where culture and politics are as disparate from the prevailing currents outside of region as the South itself is in the United States.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 02:30:31 PM »

Note to self:

If you find yourself constantly treating a whole section of the nation like specimens under glass, then it is a sign you really don’t have much in common with that section.

If an individual of a whole section of society perceives being under examination, then the individual will treat the examiner as an outsider.

Well you have to admit that the South is a very distinct cultural and political entity within the Anglophonic world. I think the closest thing to the South is probably Quebec since it's really the only other place in any other English speaking immigrant country where culture and politics are as disparate from the prevailing currents outside of region as the South itself is in the United States.

Well, the South represents less than 50% of the 29 states that voted twice for Bush43.  OK, KS, ND, SD, WY, MT, UT, ID, and NV aren't exactly southern, yet the GOP has a stranglehold on them at the Presidential level. 

Does that have anything to do with what I said? Please tell me because I don't know how the hell that's a response.

Also I would have you take a look at all the articles that are coming out about the Rocky Mountains/Interior West and the "shifts" that are supposedly occuring through that region.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies