Racial Politics In Great Britain (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:40:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Racial Politics In Great Britain (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Racial Politics In Great Britain  (Read 6316 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: July 06, 2004, 07:52:08 AM »

Adam Afriyie would also be the first Black Conservative MP.
What about Sebastian Coe?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 08:24:24 AM »

It's strange...I could swear that I'd read years ago he was the first coloured Tory MP. But judging from what photos Google throws up, you're obviously right.
So, I retract my objection.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 08:28:52 AM »

It's strange...I could swear that I'd read years ago he was the first coloured Tory MP. But judging from what photos Google throws up, you're obviously right.
So, I retract my objection.

Actually Afriyie isn't a sure winner... remember what happend in Cheltenham in 1992?  
No.
That's an LD constituency, is all I know.
But let me guess: The Tories put up a Black or Asian candidate and lost in a seat considered safe?

At the 2001 elections, the Greens crossed 5% in one bradford constituency - where the Green candidate was the only White candidate.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 09:55:24 AM »

Add Germany.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 12:37:07 PM »

First Nations go either Liberal or NDP
Chinese go Liberal

Not in Calgary, I reckon... I'd figure South Asians in Canada lean liberal, but don't seem to be a Vote bank the Libs could count on...the same is true for the Dems in the US, but o/c the South Asian percentage of the vote is way higher in Canada, so it  matters there.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 07:15:28 AM »

so are there any countries were most of the minorities vote for a right or center-leaning party?

Other than South Africa's white minority Smiley
Whites in most Latin American countries. Although I'm not sure they count...
Also, my Germany statement deserves some qualification:
German citizenship law has these absurd exemptions for people of ethnic German origin, making it very easy for them to come here and get citizenship immediately. In practice, this means (mostly) people from Russia or Poland. These groups tend to vote Conservative, though not overwhelmingly.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 07:16:08 AM »

I've never met a brit who was black. I must admit the British accent would throw me off for sure. Smiley
A first or second generation Black Brit is more likely to have a Jamaican or West African accent than a British one.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 07:41:17 AM »

I've never met a brit who was black. I must admit the British accent would throw me off for sure. Smiley
A first or second generation Black Brit is more likely to have a Jamaican or West African accent than a British one.

Jamaican accents are cool Smiley
I shan't disagree.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 07:01:25 AM »

I'm having an American moment, because I can't help but think if only for a second that any time somebody says "blacks," they're racist.  That's never said here except by insensitive or offensive people, Southerners, or some black people (other racial minorities as well).  Most people I've heard talk about it tactfully (of any race) say "black people" or African- Americans.  I prefer black people since I don't say caucasion or European-American, I say white people, the symmetry makes sense.  But African-American is the most common term.  Anytime somebody says "blacks" I cringe, I expect them to talk about the Jews and how the Holocaust was fake.
Really? Why is there a difference between saying "Blacks" or "black people"? That sounds kind absurd...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 07:34:18 AM »

a) You know this kind of rescaling only happens if people still assume that the thing described is somehow inferior?
b) Do you also say American people rather than Americans?
c) Yeah, to proscribe a word (nd) just because it sounds a bit like another word is absurd.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 08:37:54 AM »

a) You know this kind of rescaling only happens if people still assume that the thing described is somehow inferior?
I'm not claiming that using euphemisms for Blacks makes you a racist.
Rather, that by inventing such euphemisms you recognize racism and racist users as still societally relevant.
Thought this clarification might be necessary...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 04:17:12 AM »

I think Bush 41 won the overall asian vote in 1992. [/qoute] True. Even Dole did. Junior did not, though.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
See what I meant, cwelsch?
[/quote]
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies