'No Kids, No Marriage' Initiative Proposed by Gay Marriage Advocates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 06:34:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  'No Kids, No Marriage' Initiative Proposed by Gay Marriage Advocates
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 'No Kids, No Marriage' Initiative Proposed by Gay Marriage Advocates  (Read 2227 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2007, 05:37:56 PM »

Initiative ties marriage, procreation

By Lornet Turnbull
Seattle Times staff reporter

A group of gay-marriage supporters could begin collecting signatures today for a November ballot initiative that would limit marriage in Washington to couples willing and able to have children.

The measure would also dissolve the union of those who remain childless three years after marrying.

Are they serious?

Gregory Gadow, of the Washington Defense of Marriage Alliance, said the group hopes to make a point by parodying a state Supreme Court ruling last year that denied gays the right to marry because, among other reasons, such unions don't further the purpose of procreation.

Gadow, a computer programmer who lives on Capitol Hill, said that premise "has never been subject to public examination."

The justices, in a 5-4 ruling in July, upheld Washington's Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which limits marriage to a union of one man and one woman.

Gadow said his alliance — whose name itself is part of the parody, forming the acronym DOMA — is a loosely organized group of 15 or so friends. While they will work to get Initiative 957 on the ballot and passed in November, Gadow said he doesn't really want to see it enacted — and would expect the Supreme Court ultimately to strike it down as unconstitutional.

And that's the point, he said. By striking down I-957, he believes the court would be forced to confront its decision in the gay-marriage case.

"We want people to think about the purpose of marriage," he said. "If it exists for the purpose of procreation, they must understand then that these are the consequences."

The Rev. Joseph Fuiten of Cedar Park Assembly of God sees it all as nonsense — and doubts the sponsors will put much effort into it. They would need to gather at least 224,880 signatures by July 6 to get the initiative on the November ballot.

"It's so obviously a joke, poking fun at the argument that marriage is an institution for the having of children," Fuiten said. "I read it, laughed and threw it away."
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 05:39:23 PM »

Well, if marriage is truly about procreation, you have to admit that this is a logical step to take to preserve the sanctity of marriage.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 06:09:03 PM »

Stupid and entirely counterproductive. And just a time in which public opinion in the States is beginning to moderate on this issue.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 02:35:12 AM »

Stupid and entirely counterproductive. And just a time in which public opinion in the States is beginning to moderate on this issue.

I think its a creative way to draw more attention to the issue and to pint out the stupidity of many of the arguments against gay marriage.  As I believe I have stated before, IMO any gay marriage ban is in direct violation of the First Amendment for obstructing freedom of religion so shame on any judge that doesn't rule as such.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 09:16:59 AM »

I applaud their goals naturally. Their method of parodying, however, looks like it may blow up in their face.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 05:05:17 PM »

This is dumb.  Washington is probably one of a handful of states that would tolerate gay marriage if it was passed, even if it might not love it.  But the reality is, most people who vote on gay marriage vote because they don't like it.  The suburbanites that would be more likely to vote for the Dems because of social issues have already switched to the Dems.

It's not going to make it to the ballot anyway.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 08:15:17 PM »

I aplaud thier efforts. I thinks its sort of creative and puts it in a new light, and its a way for leaners to sort of get in on the idea, because its a little less serious of a movement, so we may see the highest turn out of pro gay marriage activists this way.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 12:13:10 AM »

I applaud their goals naturally. Their method of parodying, however, looks like it may blow up in their face.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 02:04:17 AM »

How silly of the government to think I need their permission to be "married."
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States