1968 revisited yet again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:29:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968 revisited yet again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968 revisited yet again  (Read 1558 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2007, 07:00:39 PM »

henry cabot lodge/hugh scott (r)

vs.

ed muskie/george mcgovern (d)

vs.

ronald reagan/george wallace (independent conservative)

discuss w/maps
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 07:52:05 PM »

Reagan and Wallace were on complete opposite ends of the economic spectrum.  It's hard to see them running together.  Wallace's economics that election were very left-wing.

And Lodge and Muskie wouldn't have a shot to win their respective party nominations.  I don't really see the point of all this.  At least the scenarios mixing in Ted Kennedy were a possiblity.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 03:50:36 AM »

Muskie wins.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:43:26 AM »

Reagan and Wallace were on complete opposite ends of the economic spectrum.  It's hard to see them running together.  Wallace's economics that election were very left-wing.

And Lodge and Muskie wouldn't have a shot to win their respective party nominations.  I don't really see the point of all this.  At least the scenarios mixing in Ted Kennedy were a possiblity.

this is still more realistic than 'dazzleman vs. the arab gas pumper" or opebo vs the girl at the record store brtd stalked
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 03:38:26 PM »

this is still more realistic than 'dazzleman vs. the arab gas pumper" or opebo vs the girl at the record store brtd stalked

Comparing your polling selection to BRTD's is not exactly a winning argument for the sanity of the question proposed.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 03:57:37 PM »

Comparing your polling selection to BRTD's is not exactly a winning argument for the sanity of the question proposed.

i still dont see why my question is unrealistic.

whatever.

johnpressman
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 12:12:38 PM »

I agree, this scenario is unrealistic.

First, Henry Cabot Lodge., In 1968, he had been out of elected office since 1953.  His UN duties and Ambassadorship to South Vietnam hardly would qualify as a launching pad for the Presidency.  A stiff, unenthusiastic campaigner, his 1964 write-in vote in the New Hampshire Primary was a favorie son fluke, as his subsequent campaign proved.  Hugh Scott was a low-key, dumpy, walrus-looking Senator from PA. Not a good choice for VP.

Second, Muskie was a homely, mostly unknown, also low-key Senator from the small, Republican-voting state of Maine.  His winning the Democratic Presidential Nomination in 1968 would be virtually impossible. Ditto McGovern, unknown until he picked up RFK's mantle in 1968, also hailing from a small, Republican-voting state (S.D.).

As for Reagan, no way would he run with Wallace.  There were fundamental differences between them and Ronnie, an actor turned Governor of California just two years previously, would not abandon the Republican Party a doomed, divisive third-party quest for the Presidency.

Too far-fetched!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies