Was Mark Dayton correct?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:05:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Was Mark Dayton correct?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Was Mark Dayton correct?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Was Mark Dayton correct?  (Read 1415 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2007, 12:55:30 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVbf3h9PXaE
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 02:54:04 AM »

I have never read the Bible so I cannot say if his claims about it were correct or not.  Many of my Christian friends have voiced a similar sentiment to what Mr. Dayton did though.  They all tell me that Jesus preached for love and acceptance and the crusade against gay marriage does not follow those teachings.

However, in my view, any support for or against gay marriage which stems from religious text is irrelevant.  What it far more relevant to this argument is the fact that gay marriages bans are unconstitutional.  Many churches now recognize and perform gay marriage ceremonies which means that ALL levels of government MUST recognize gay marriages or they are in violation of the couple's First Amendment right to freedom of religion.  Its too bad that activist conservative judges with their own agendas have ruled against the most important rights of Americans and instead ruled in favor of discrimination and hatred.  Every time I think about it, it makes me sick to my stomach.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:33:05 PM »

\
However, in my view, any support for or against gay marriage which stems from religious text is irrelevant.  What it far more relevant to this argument is the fact that gay marriages bans are unconstitutional.  Many churches now recognize and perform gay marriage ceremonies which means that ALL levels of government MUST recognize gay marriages or they are in violation of the couple's First Amendment right to freedom of religion. 

So, if churches supported murder, does that mean that illegalizin murder would be unconstitutional?

Its too bad that activist conservative judges with their own agendas have ruled against the most important rights of Americans and instead ruled in favor of discrimination and hatred.  Every time I think about it, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Activist conservative judges? Gay marriage has not been recognized for centuries. Only since the twenty-first century have liberals been talking about gay marriage. It's the liberals who are being activists and cutting and pasting words into the constitution.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:35:47 PM »

What it far more relevant to this argument is the fact that gay marriages bans are unconstitutional.  Many churches now recognize and perform gay marriage ceremonies which means that ALL levels of government MUST recognize gay marriages or they are in violation of the couple's First Amendment right to freedom of religion.  Its too bad that activist conservative judges with their own agendas have ruled against the most important rights of Americans and instead ruled in favor of discrimination and hatred.  Every time I think about it, it makes me sick to my stomach.

I normally don't address things like this, but arguing that gay marriage bans violate First Amendment rights to freedom of religion is spurious, if not simply hilarious from a Constitutional point of view.

I would suggest an argument from the 14th amendment equal protection clause (saying that sexual orientation should be subject to more than rational basis review, note:  Lawrence v. Texas never disputes this) or that recognition of marriage must happen through the Full Faith and Credit clause regardless of who it's between.

Otherwise, I wouldn't start laughing halfway through your post.

As for Mark Dayton, it's entirely his opinion as to whether a Gay Marriage amendment is un-Christian or not, though I would argue his point is irrelevant.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 04:09:04 AM »

What it far more relevant to this argument is the fact that gay marriages bans are unconstitutional.  Many churches now recognize and perform gay marriage ceremonies which means that ALL levels of government MUST recognize gay marriages or they are in violation of the couple's First Amendment right to freedom of religion.  Its too bad that activist conservative judges with their own agendas have ruled against the most important rights of Americans and instead ruled in favor of discrimination and hatred.  Every time I think about it, it makes me sick to my stomach.

I normally don't address things like this, but arguing that gay marriage bans violate First Amendment rights to freedom of religion is spurious, if not simply hilarious from a Constitutional point of view.

I would suggest an argument from the 14th amendment equal protection clause (saying that sexual orientation should be subject to more than rational basis review, note:  Lawrence v. Texas never disputes this) or that recognition of marriage must happen through the Full Faith and Credit clause regardless of who it's between.

Otherwise, I wouldn't start laughing halfway through your post.

As for Mark Dayton, it's entirely his opinion as to whether a Gay Marriage amendment is un-Christian or not, though I would argue his point is irrelevant.

Why shouldn't there be an argument based on the First Amendment?  People are always talking about the "sanctity of marriage" and how allowing gay marriages somehow will violate it.  The religious right is constantly complaining about how this is an attack on their religious beliefs yet no has pointed out the fact that many churches (as in denominations of Christianity not individual congregations) are blessing same sex unions left and right.  If marriage truly is a religious institution, isn't the state obligated by the First Amendment to recognize it regardless of the sex of the partners?

\
However, in my view, any support for or against gay marriage which stems from religious text is irrelevant.  What it far more relevant to this argument is the fact that gay marriages bans are unconstitutional.  Many churches now recognize and perform gay marriage ceremonies which means that ALL levels of government MUST recognize gay marriages or they are in violation of the couple's First Amendment right to freedom of religion.

So, if churches supported murder, does that mean that illegalizin murder would be unconstitutional?

As a Libertarian I am surprised that you would not support an argument for gay marriage based solely on a person's constitutional rights.  Legalizing murder based on religious beliefs would of course be ridiculous because it would violate the rights of those being murdered.  On the other hand, whose rights are being stomped upon if we allow gays to marry?  I'll answer for you: no ones.

Also, I'm pretty sure that any constitutional argument for legalizing murder would get shot down before you even finished the Preamble:

"We the People of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Its too bad that activist conservative judges with their own agendas have ruled against the most important rights of Americans and instead ruled in favor of discrimination and hatred.  Every time I think about it, it makes me sick to my stomach.

Activist conservative judges? Gay marriage has not been recognized for centuries. Only since the twenty-first century have liberals been talking about gay marriage. It's the liberals who are being activists and cutting and pasting words into the constitution.

Just because an injustice hasn't been recognized for centuries doesn't mean the courts don't have an obligation to correct injustice.  By your reasoning, we should still all be owning slaves and segregation should be legal.

Also, conservatives and liberals are both equally guilty of reading their own agendas into the Constitution.  It just so happens that conservatives are the violators in this case. 
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 08:01:01 PM »

All marriage really is is a government-recognized contract. The gays can have a marriage ceremony and write a contract themselves. However, I also believe that married coupled should not recieve any benefits, such as health insurance.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 11:43:33 PM »

Poor Mark Dayton.  He just doesn't have a gift with words.

He is right, though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies