Australian Prime Minister slams Obama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:56:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Australian Prime Minister slams Obama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australian Prime Minister slams Obama  (Read 3279 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: February 11, 2007, 07:31:25 PM »

PM Howard is such a supporter of the Iraq War that he has sent a whopping 1,400 Australian troops to help the US! What a hero! What a hypocrite!

I will say... for the size of our military that's a lot.

I mean, can anyone here imagine the President of the United States criticizing some obscure foreign politician (say a member of Parliamnet in Britain) who is not the head of state - let alone criticizing that politician's entire party?!

The president did publicy warn against Australia voting for Labor at the last election - as they wanted to withdraw from Iraq.

This is really surprising to me, Howard is usually so astute in his public comments. Howard should get grilled at question time.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:47:45 AM »

Well I am in Canberra and went to question time.

The Opposition leader did not let up on Howard and moved a censure motion on the PM.

Labor is WAY ahead in the polls ATM, but history had shown that in both cases of the 2001 and 2004 election, the coaltion was way down early in the year, but they always seemed to manage to crawl back.

I'm happy, but it's too far out to get excited about.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 08:47:33 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2007, 08:55:20 PM by Gov. PolNut »

Purhaps our friend from Australia can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Liberal party of Australia (that's right, "liberal" in Australia means liberal economics, let corporation and business do whatever they please)of which Howard in PM used to subscribe to the "White Australia" policies of the past (and present).

The reason the Liberal (the capital L is extremely important) Party was created in 1944 was to allow more economic freedoms, basically meant to be a counter of the union created Labor party. There really wasn't a massive social divide, the Labor Party was old-school Catholic and the Liberals were usually anglican or presbyterian.

As time moved on however, the free-market Liberal Party also tended to attract social conservatives as the Labor Party in the late 60s and into the 70s moved socially left.

Then in the 1980s the Labor Party fell under the spell of Thatcherite economics.

John Howard USED to be a socially "small c" conservative and economic liberal. However he has become a social Conservative and economic reactionary.

Having said that there are many Liberals who are called wet libs, or are true liberals, they like economic and social freedom, but most rarely get heard or supress their real views to keep in step the mainstream of the party. John Howard did attempt in the 1987 election to develop a policy which would restrict Asian immigration (and people didn't go for it). I don't think the majority of Australians are racist, I think there is a sick undercurrent of it, largely from a certain degree of cultural isolation which comes from our geographic position.

FYI - This is a big story here, and the overwhelming current of policy opinion is firmly against Howard. Most feel he has the right to comment on a policy which does affect our troops (I didn't appreciate the mocking tone of one poster). I heard someone on the radio say "Why is Howard starting to get this moral absolutist tone like Bush... remember Johnnie, we don't like Bush".
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 07:05:53 PM »

My personal issue isn't that Howard commented at all about Iraq, since we do have troops there. It was the blindly partisan attack on Obama and the Democrats as the "Terrorist's Preferred Party".

Howard and Bush whilst talking about Iraq sound like coaches of a team that 20 points down 5 minutes before the final whistle and is talking about what to do during extra time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies