Mitt Romney's Running Mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:40:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Mitt Romney's Running Mate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mitt Romney's Running Mate  (Read 1620 times)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2007, 06:40:09 PM »

Assume Mitt Romney wins the Republican nomination next year. Who do you think would end up being his running mate? I think maybe Chuck Hagel or Condolezza Rice are possibilities.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 06:41:56 PM »

He'll try to nominate a moral majority Christian to compensate for his Mormonism.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 06:47:39 PM »

He'll try to nominate a moral majority Christian to compensate for his Mormonism.

Brownback?
Deano963

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 06:49:44 PM »

I agree. Huckabee would be a better choice than Brownback, IMO, but both would help him with the base.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 07:44:58 PM »

Romney picks the youthful, talented, impressive Senior Senator from South Carolina, Lindsey Graham.

Graham helps solidify the Republican conservative base, and holds the south solid for the GOP.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 07:58:36 PM »

Romney picks the youthful, talented, impressive Senior Senator from South Carolina, Lindsey Graham.

Graham helps solidify the Republican conservative base, and holds the south solid for the GOP.

... until he's outted, that is.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »

Are you saying Graham is gay?  What proof do you have?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 08:17:57 PM »

I'm not sure you want to see that sort of proof.  Tongue

(Or maybe you do.  I dunno.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 08:21:27 PM »

None, of course.  It's simply one of those widespread rumors, based largely on his camp demeanor and him never having been married or linked with any women in the past.  The same is often said of Herb Kohl.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 08:43:29 PM »

OK, if that's the case, Romney would likely not pick Graham.

How about going with the Senior Senator from Tennessee, former Governor of Tennessee, former Education Secretary, Lamar Alexander.

Alexander is experienced, respected, and capable.

He would help greatly in holding the Republican base.  He would be a safe, solid, reassuring choice, IMO, who voters would be comfortable enough with.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 08:58:22 PM »

Alexander would be OK.  I definitely don't think he would pick Brownback or Huckabee.  Governors never pick other governors as running mates, and it would be too risky to go with someone as socially conservative as Brownback for the general election.

The only issue with Alexander is that Romney might want someone with more Washington experience for his VP.  Alexander will have had just one term in the Senate.  Maybe that's enough, or maybe he'd prefer someone with more.  I had been thinking that Don Nickles (three terms in the Senate, sufficiently conservative on both social and economic issues, and not too old) might be a decent choice for Romney, but I don't know if a Mormon GOP candidate would pick a Catholic as his VP.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 10:21:20 PM »

I've had sex with him.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 11:07:55 PM »

McCain or Giuliani
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 02:18:00 AM »

Alexander would cost a Republican Senate seat.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 02:29:46 AM »

I've had sex with him.

i

knew it
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 01:34:32 PM »

What about Guliani?
skybridge
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 01:57:09 PM »

Rumor has it Romney courted Jeb Bush--which would be good news for any Democrat. Romney would likely pick someone with some kind of administrative experience, but as of yet, I'm unsure who that could be. The neocons seem to have designated him as heir apparent, so they'll find someone. Romney wont run with anyone who competes against him--that would be just as un-Republican as admitting to electoral deficits by attempting to "balance" the ticket age-, experience-, issue- or geographywise.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 02:09:14 PM »

Romney has courted Jeb Bush for the purpose of making use of Bush's Florida political operation.  (Many of Jeb's people are now working for Romney.)  But there's no evidence to suggest that he's done it for the purpose of getting Jeb to be his running mate.  Why would Romney want that?  He'd be hitching himself too closely to the current president for the general election.  Where's the political gain there?
skybridge
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 03:44:55 PM »

Romney has courted Jeb Bush for the purpose of making use of Bush's Florida political operation.  (Many of Jeb's people are now working for Romney.)  But there's no evidence to suggest that he's done it for the purpose of getting Jeb to be his running mate.  Why would Romney want that?  He'd be hitching himself too closely to the current president for the general election.  Where's the political gain there?

Of course it's more for fundraising purposes. It's a long shot, but if things don't turn around, Dubya may have terminated the Bush name's political future. Anyway, having Bushs work for him and suddenly embracing all sorts of right-wing policies makes Romney much more of an establishment candidate than if he ran with his 1994 Senate platform. Bush and Romney's presidential candidacies are also fairly similar inasmuch as that both are former governors, sons of people with failed presidential ambitions, and the largest campaign contribution networks.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 08:11:43 PM »

Smart, smart post.  Lindsey Graham is unimpeachably conservative but he doesn't scare the bejeebers out of Independents and Liberals either.  He can be very balanced and fair minded.  Choosing Graham would be a stroke of genius.  Jim DeMint on the other hand...  <vomit>
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 10:38:45 PM »

None, of course.  It's simply one of those widespread rumors, based largely on his camp demeanor and him never having been married or linked with any women in the past.  The same is often said of Herb Kohl.

Unless Lindsey Graham has spent a summer herding sheep in Wyoming with T.R. Knight, (of Grey's Anatomy), I see no reason why Graham should not be considered for V.P.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 05:21:43 PM »

Unless Lindsey Graham has spent a summer herding sheep in Wyoming with T.R. Knight, (of Grey's Anatomy), I see no reason why Graham should not be considered for V.P.

Oh I'm sure he'd be considered, but considered very deeply before probably passing.  You'd expect a lot of attention into his personal life and background that would make for a lot of unnecessary and unfair attention.
mgrossbe
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 07:45:53 PM »

I think graham would make a good canidate along that line i think cochran would also be a good choice. I would say that someone from the interior west would also make a good choice but only ensign is an option everybody else is either to old or would be replaced by a democrat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies