It took Bush 2 hours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:08:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  It took Bush 2 hours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: It took Bush 2 hours  (Read 3041 times)
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2004, 12:09:29 PM »

Edwards didn't get drafted because he didn't turn 18 until 1971.
The draft continued until 1973, so yes, Edwards was eligible.

Please understand that I don't blame Edwards for not pursuing a military career and I also don't buy into the notion that choosing not to serve automatically disqualifies a politician from being able to advocate military operations.  I think Kosovo was a bad decision and poorly managed, but I have better reasons for that view than "Clinton was a draft-dodger."  That's simply not relevant in my book.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2004, 12:23:13 PM »

Surely it looks as if you cut and paste.  Cites, please?  I'll take it from there.

- Alfie

Ah, your favorite defense when faced with facts: "Cites?"  And if I post links to anything vaguely conservative, you'll attack the facts as part of some right-wing conspiracy.  I was ready for this.  I didn't go to some Republican talking points site, I went to edwards.senate.gov and searched his press release database.

Edwards represents North Carolina, home to Camp LeJeune and Pope Air Force Base.  You can't get elected senator in NC without a vigorous support of the military.  Edwards is not a dove--he embraces the label "hawk".  He fits criterion 3.
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2004, 01:07:58 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2004, 01:10:08 PM by Alfie »

Surely it looks as if you cut and paste.  Cites, please?  I'll take it from there.

- Alfie

Ah, your favorite defense when faced with facts: "Cites?"  And if I post links to anything vaguely conservative, you'll attack the facts as part of some right-wing conspiracy.  I was ready for this.  I didn't go to some Republican talking points site, I went to edwards.senate.gov and searched his press release database.

Edwards represents North Carolina, home to Camp LeJeune and Pope Air Force Base.  You can't get elected senator in NC without a vigorous support of the military.  Edwards is not a dove--he embraces the label "hawk".  He fits criterion 3.
--------- correct copy ( spelling error....)

Look, I'm far more interested in the truth than I am in being right.  I'll run with what you gave, and supplement what I need.

Just because youz guyz lie and cheat at every turn does NOT mean I would.  Well, maybe a little......

I'll post after my next class.

- Alfie
PrisonerOfHope
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.70, S: -5.50

P
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2004, 09:45:28 PM »

Sticking to the facts, I refer to this report: " But Bush and his top aides stood firm, with Cheney forcefully maintaining that evidence depicting an Iraqi role in the Sept. 11 attacks may yet emerge. "  and the fact that the 9/11 commission felt it necessary to issue a statement to the effect that the VP is full of it.  See link...

http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/070804C.shtml

Acctually, Bush and Cheney had only possitive things to say, it was the campaigns that went after oen another, but we can't get petty little things like facts get into the way of our seething hatred for Bush.  Can we?

Right, the facts.  Like if Cheney (yesterday), Rumsfeld, Rice, Wolfowitz, et. al say Saddam was involved in 9/11 and he doesn't  correct them, technically, it isn't him 'saying' it, just his administration, as if he isn't part of it (well, mentally yeah, but we're talking responsibility).

Bush doesn't agree with the slander?  Not OK by him?  Gee, you'd think a take charge macho 'war president' would do something about it, huh?

None of them have ever said Saddam was involved with 9-11.  They do say he ahd contact with Al Queda.  Don't let facts get in your way though.
PrisonerOfHope
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.70, S: -5.50

P
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2004, 10:33:45 PM »

Blue Rectangle dude, wake up and read the bio!!  Edwards was born in 1953 and wouldn't even be eligible till late 1971 when US was pulling out ('Vietnamization' of the war).  Nixon ended draft in 1973, but nobody was being called up, and most people weren't even bothering to register.   Cheney had 5 deferments including one for marrying and one for knocking up Lynne after flunking out.  That next to Newt's marrying and dumping his ticket out is the most dispicable way out.   A patriot would have put his country first if he believed in the war the way he now claims.   Sqwauck! Sqwuack!

Alfie, shame on you!  Didn't you get the memo? You guys aren't supposed to play the "chicken hawk" card now that Edwards got the nod.
Edwards didn't serve in Vietnam because he had a student deferment.  That's right, just like Dick Cheney and Tom Delay.  But that didn't stop him from being a supporter of Bush's war in Iraq.  Refresh my memory, Alfie, what do we call people who chose to avoid service in Vietnam and went on to be hawkish politicians?  You had some incredibly clever name for them, what was it again?
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2004, 10:52:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, all true, all true.... BUT.  Cheney wasn't even coy, or slick.  He said that serving never occurred to him because he "had other priorities!"  As in not dying for his country.  Of course there is a long line, a long yellow streak running down the backs of most Vietnam era Pugs.  Rush "Dr. Feelgood" Limbaugh had a pimple on his ass; William "Slots" Bennett was already beginning his career as National Scold, and Elliot "Oh!  My aching back!" Abrams had Very Good Excuse: his "spine" went MIA.  Ah, the list, the list!  A veritable Who's Who is slackers and cowards from the radikal reich.

- Alfie

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2004, 01:01:39 AM »

Clinton was a chickenhawk in your book. But he's a Democrat so I guess that disqualifies him in your double standard world.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2004, 10:29:22 AM »

Alfie, I asked you to take a look at Edwards and to decide if you could defend him.  You promised to either accept labeling Edwards a chickenhawk, or to offer a well-reasoned argument of why his situation is different from Cheney’s.  Instead, you chose to trot out the same old anti-Republican polemic, blind to the faults of those you support.  You can deny the label of hypocrite, but you are only lying to yourself.  90% of the Dems on this board have well-thought-out positions, logical defenses, and fair criticisms of Republicans.  You have nothing but blind rage.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have a pact to sign…
Alfie
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2004, 10:59:23 AM »

As if off to sign the Treaty of Versailles, Blue Rectangulated writes;

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's just TOO CLASSIC!  And so typically POMPOUS!

- Alfie
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies