Brazil thread 2023-
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 09:08:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazil thread 2023-
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Brazil thread 2023-  (Read 16404 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2023, 09:59:45 AM »

Why did Dino leave for the PSB?
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2023, 07:39:16 PM »

Dino was member of the Communist Party of Brazil (PCdoB) from 2006 to 2021. Then, he moved for PSB. Despite the name, it's not a communist party, it became a moderate left party in the last 30 years. The real communist party is the very small Brazilian Communist Party (PCB). But many voters don't know it, and it is very hard to win an election for the executive branch outside the Northeast in a party which has this name. And I believe Flavio Dino was planning to run for president in 2026.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2023, 06:59:13 PM »

Members of the Duginist group Nova Resistência were recently kicked from the PDT. According to NR, this followed an US department of state report, but even with my tendency to sympathize with economically yet left-wing conservative groups and figures, I'll take this claim with a grain of salt.
https://congressoemfoco.uol.com.br/area/pais/por-ordens-de-lupi-pdt-expulsa-50-infiltrados-de-extrema-direita/?s=09
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2023, 07:23:16 PM »

Nova Resistência members stayed for too long in a party which pretends to be part of the center-left
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2023, 08:41:41 PM »

That expulsion is kinda why PDT is irrelevant and not taken seriously as something with an actual identity tbh

Regardless of Nova Resistência sucking or not, who really cares about whatever the US department of state thinks? Lmao. PDT was looking for an excuse, if anything all this only gives more visibility to an irrelevant group.

Nova Resistência leaderships suck btw, but not because of the reasons you see liberals use. They’re so into that “4th Political Theory” stuff that some of these people really bought the nonsense “bothsides” narrative about Lula and Bolsonaro being the same sellouts. Or even worse, that Bolsonaro was a “sovereign-conservative” and Lula a “liberal-globalist” lmaaaao

I’m not going to pretend Lula is some Getúlio Vargas nationalist type at all (I wish!), but it’s extremely offensive to even associate Bozo with any concept of “sovereignty” when he was the biggest example of wanting to sell the country that we probably ever had lmao.

I’m somewhat sympathetic towards Duginists and “Conservative Leftists” in theory but whenever some of them use labels with no ground on reality in order to try to hit both sides equally so that they can try to signal how different and an alternative they are to the main political forces simultaneously, they end up looking just ignorant and as attention-seekers to me.

It’s like, they act they can pick some stuff from Lula and “the left”, mix with some stuff from Bolsonaro and “the right” and you will have reached this nationalist ideal that they supposedly defend. Thing is, there’s absolutely nothing really useful a nationalist can use from Bozo and what he represents when he’s the opposite of what the word nationalist means.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2023, 09:57:55 PM »

Today, IBGE released the data of the Census 2022 concerning gender and age

The share of young people in the population keep decreasing, while the share of old people keep increasing, due to higher life expectancy and lower number of children per couple. The absolute number of children in Brazil declined from 2010 to 2022.
The women:men ration keep increasing, due to the aging population. There are much more women than men in the group of >60 year old people. Men die earlier. On the other hand, there are more boys than girls, because the majority of the new born babies are male.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2023, 08:53:45 AM »

Roger Waters changed a lot his fan base in Brazil in only 5 years. He performed concerts in Brazil in October 2018, during the campaign in the runoff. When he spoke against Bolsonaro during the concerts, he received some positive reaction, but also large negative reaction from the audience. Many Pink Floyd fans in Brazil used to be conservative: >50 year old upper middle class white men. Roger Waters lost some fans after this tour but he gained other fans: some lefties didn't know him very much before, but started to listen to him after that. Roger Waters remain very active in Brazil. He met Lula this week. He received a medal from the Rio de Janeiro City Council, offered by councilor Monica Benicio, who is Marielle Franco's widow. Marielle Franco was the PSOL councillor in Rio de Janeiro who was murdered in 2018. Roger Waters became friend of Marielle's family. He became very interested for her history.
My relation to Pink Floyd doesn't depend on politics. I am Pink Floyd fan since I am young, more than 20 years ago. Of course, Roger Waters made me like him even more after October 2018.
Yesterday, in the Roger Waters concert in Rio de Janeiro, I saw some fans wearing the black T-shirt of Dark Side of the Moon and the red hat of the Landless Workers Movement (MST)

Pictures of the Roger Waters concert in Rio de Janeiro yesterday

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2023, 12:38:00 PM »

I was right at front of the stage so I managed to take some really cool pics that I’ll upload and post.

In the meantime, here’s Roger Waters being awarded the Pedro Ernesto medal by the Rio City Council, the highest honor from the Rio de Janeiro City:

The show was pretty awesome, nothing that you wouldn’t imagine from Roger Waters though. There wasn’t anything that controversial at all, I guess the moments the western liberals would clutch their pearls the most was when Roger made a pause to talk with the audience and said he wished Joe Biden would take his phone and call Putin in order to arrange a peaceful solution to the Ukraine conflict, so that leaders would go back to talking to one another and arrange diplomatic solutions instead of military ones?

Or when he showed pictures of all US presidents since Ronald Reagan  on the screen during one of his songs with “War Criminal” words over all of them, both republicans and democrats? Or when he referred to Chelsea Manning and Julian Assange as brave heroes?
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2023, 12:47:39 PM »

Red Velvet Pics:

buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2023, 03:26:28 PM »

Today, Lula wrote a tweet in order to congratulate Messi for the FIFA prize. He mentioned Messi's qualities and some people understood this tweet as an indirect criticism on Neymar

On the other hand, people found today a 2016 tweet written Javier Milei in which he said that Pelé was better than Maradona. Except the homophobic statement in the line 5, the Argentine candidate is correct. At least in one issue, he is correct.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #185 on: October 31, 2023, 07:35:37 PM »

Since duguinists were mentioned recently in this thread, I will tell a story...

Halloween celebrations were introduced in Brazil in the 1980s by language schools. Before, Brazilians didn't know this celebration. American movies that mentioned Halloween received the translation "Dia das Bruxas" (Witches's Day) in the subtitles (or in the dubbed version), that't why many old people still say "Dia das Bruxas", which is misleading.
After introduced by language schools, Halloween celebrations spread in Brazil, and we can see Halloween now also in schools, bars.
Not everyone liked it. Former representative Aldo Rebelo, who used to be a nationalist leftist, but later became a duguinist, when he got more conservative, proposed that the October 31st in Brazil should be considered the "Saci Pererê Day". Saci Pererê is a character of the Brazilian folklore, and the date was supposed to be a reaction against Halloween, a celebration that Aldo Rebelo considers too americanized. But nobody cares. Many children still celebrate the Halloween, and not the "Saci Pererê Day". Aldo Rebelo was famous for other nationalist proposals: ban on the use of non-Portuguese words in Brazilian Portuguese, when there is already a similar word in this language, mandatory use of 10% of cassava flour in the bread produced in Brazil, since cassava is a typical Brazilian good, unlike the wheat.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #186 on: October 31, 2023, 08:01:33 PM »

Anti-Halloween sentiment is something that unites Evangelicals, Catholics and Progressives.

The religious groups see it as expression of Paganism while Progressives see it as a cultural import from US.

Honestly, I hear way more about it these days but more about the idea of parties where people go dressed or horror movies marathons and selections on the theater. I’ve never seen kids in costumes going around asking for candy at all because it’s something that wouldn’t work at all in here.

I don’t see anything wrong with embracing it, especially if you bring the fun parts and adapt to the local culture. That said, there is the real concern that local traditions get weaker in the meantime. We already have São Cosme e Damião as the “Catholic” day where we distribute candy to children after all. Halloween is basically only São Cosme e Damião Day + Carnaval with Horror theme surround so if any kid came to my door asking for candy today, I would slam the door in their face because it’s not Cosme e Damião Day.

Keep the Halloween stuff to youth parties and movie marathons only, without bringing the foreign “traditions” to replace already existing ones. I loooooved to help my mom as a kid to prepare the São Cosme Damião candy packs to distribute around later. Receiving it from tons of people in the next day was very fun too!

That said, I think what weakens these more collective cultural aspects is more the rise of individualism tied to people living in their phones more often.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #187 on: November 14, 2023, 06:35:50 AM »

After Brazilians in Gaza are back to Brazil, LULA FINALLY criticizes Israel more incisively and compares their actions as similar to the terrorism of Hamas.

Lula was under intense pressure from the Brazilian Left for calling Hamas terrorists earlier while saying nothing against Israel actions in Palestine.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2023, 11:02:24 PM »

The Christ the Redeemer statue received special light projection in order to welcome Taylor Swift, who is in a tour in Brazil

buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2023, 02:28:15 PM »

A 23 year old woman passed away after the Taylor Swift concert in Rio de Janeiro yesterday. She was rescued by the medical service during the concert and she was taken to the hospital, but she didn't survive. She had a heart attack. Many fans felt not well due to the 40C weather and the lack of water. People were not allowed to bring water bottles to the stadium, they had to buy inside, and the bottles finished during the concert. Besides, the company which organized the concert covered the spaces between the tiers. These spaces were created in the project of the stadium in order to allow air circulation.

Of course, we have to blame the company for all the problems, and not the singer, who was not in charge of the organization.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2023, 08:21:26 PM »

A very bad week for Rio de Janeiro, a very bad week for Brazil

4 days after the death of the fan in the Taylor Swift concert, there was a fight among Argentines, Brazilians and the Rio de Janeiro Military Police at Maracanã before the start of the game between the 2 national teams in the 2026 World Cup Qualifier. The organizers of the game had the stupid idea to not separate the crowds of the 2 squads.
In the same week Milei, who doesn't want friendly relations with Lula, was elected
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2023, 11:32:58 AM »

Brazil is joining OPEC+ after a Saudi Arabia invitation:

Pivaru
Rookie
Brazil

P P

« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2023, 06:16:54 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2023, 08:22:50 PM by Pivaru »

New Ipec poll

How do you classify Lula's government so far?
Great/Good - 38% (-2)
Regular - 30% (-2)
Bad/Terrible - 30% (+5)
Don't know/Didn't answer - 2% (-1)

Do you approve of Lula's way of governing?
Yes - 51% (-5)
No - 43% (+4)
Don't know/Didn't answer - 6% (-)

Do you trust Lula?
No - 50% (+3)
Yes - 48% (-2)
Don't know/Didn't answer - 3% (-1)

Has Lula's government been better or worse than you expected?
Worse - 35%
Better - 32%
About what I expected  - 30%
Don't know/Didn't answer - 2%

Compared to six months ago, do you feel the Brazilian economy is doing better or worse?
Better - 39%
Worse - 36%
About what I expected  - 23%
Don't know/Didn't answer - 2%

Do you think the Brazilian economy will be doing better or worse six months from now?
Better - 45%
Worse - 30%
About what I expected  - 19%
Don't know/Didn't answer - 5%

Would you say that Lula's government has:
Has not had good ideas for the country - 37%
Has had good ideas for the country and has been able to put them in practice - 32%
Has had good ideas for the country but hasn't been able to put them in practice - 27%
Don't know/Didn't answer - 4%

Datafolha also released a poll:

How do you classify Lula's government so far?
Great/Good - 38% (-)
Regular - 30% (-)
Bad/Terrible - 30% (-1)
Don't know/Didn't answer - 2% (-)

Has Lula's government done more for the country than you expected?
Lula has done less than I expected - 57%
Lula has done more than I expected - 27%
Lula has done about as much as I expected - 16%
Other answers - 2%
Don't know - 1%
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #193 on: December 08, 2023, 01:51:58 PM »

Datafolha poll shows general stability on Lula’s government evaluation:

Great / Good - 38% (no change)
Average / Okay - 30% (no change)
Bad / Awful - 30% (-1)

Comparison are with last poll from September.

At same time, people seemed to be expecting more to be done, so the movements from IPEC represent less a growth of dissatisfaction and more Honeymoon phase being over and people wanting to see deeper and harsher change after a year. According to Datafolha:

57% think the government did LESS THAN WHAT THEY EXPECTED at this point
24% think the government did ABOUT WHAT THEY EXPECTED at this point
16% think the government did MORE THAN WHAT THEY EXPECTED at this point
3% are Others/Don’t Know

It’s really interesting though, because Datafolha also measured numbers close to the record high in the question of whether respondents were satisfied about living in Brazil:

74% Brazilians say Brazil is a Great or Good place to live (+15 from December 2022)
18% Brazilians say Brazil is an Average place to live (-15 from December 2022)
8% Brazilians say Brazil is a Bad or Awful place to live (-1 from December 2022)

Which means the satisfaction with the country is in its highest in comparison to past 10 years! It shows that it’s less about the government doing something wrong and more that voters are extremely more demanding and with bigger expectations these days - I don’t think that’s only a Brazil trend. Everywhere, the anti-incumbency trend comes from leaders not being able to live up to extremely high demands and expectations.

So Lula is doing quite well with these numbers considering everything. One of the few democratic leaders with an approval that’s still higher than their disapproval.

Btw, regarding the question of satisfaction about living in Brazil, these polls are made since 2000. These are the historical highs of satisfaction and dissatisfaction:

Highest Satisfaction about living in Brazil - Measured in July 2005, when Brazil was starting to see the effects of the 00s economic growth period under Lula.

Highest Dissatisfaction about living in Brazil - Measured in April 2018, during Michel Temer’s final year in presidency and on the eve of the election that elected Jair Bolsonaro.

Another question from DATAFOLHA wanted to know if Brazilians feel more PRIDE OR SHAME about their nationality:

83% feel more pride than shame (+6 from December 2022)
16% feel more shame than pride (-5 from December 2022)
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2023, 06:35:34 PM »

IBGE released today the data concerning color of the Brazilian population according to the 2022 Census

92.1M (45.3%) pardo (mixed between black and white)
88.2M (43.5%) white
20.6M (10.2%) black
1.7M (0.8%) indigenous
0.9M (0.4%) yellow (Asian)

The white population is declining. This may be the result of the lower fertility rate of the whites (it is becoming less important, because other colors have declining fertility rate too nowadays) and the declining prejudice. Many people who are ~3/4 white 1/4 black used to answer in the Census that they were white and nowadays they answer that they are "pardo".

Here you can see the map of the skin's color which has the pluratily in each municipality according to the 2022 Census and the map of the 2022 presidential election by municipality

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #195 on: January 01, 2024, 09:01:25 PM »

Largest immigrant groups (foreign born) in Brazil from 1500 to 2023:

Interesting to see how the country was shaped across time. American immigration only starts showing up in the end, with LatAm + USA entering the list.

In USA you see similar trends of American immigration going up, replacing the trend of strong European immigration from XX Century.
Long Live Israel
United States

« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2024, 09:07:18 AM »

Lula is in big trouble if he continues with his anti Israel rhetoric in a society that 80% support Israel. The fact that this russophile thug won the election running under so many despised platforms in Brazil makes me think fraud was needed to let him win.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2024, 05:28:20 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2024, 09:44:13 PM by Red Velvet »

Lula is in big trouble if he continues with his anti Israel rhetoric in a society that 80% support Israel. The fact that this russophile thug won the election running under so many despised platforms in Brazil makes me think fraud was needed to let him win.

Lmao at 80% of Brazil.

Bb, I guarantee you most Brazilians simply don’t care. Not just about Israel/Palestine, but literally about any conflict going on far from our living sphere. Brazilians are extremely insular people and self-immersed culturally.

Only exception may be hardline evangelicals, who seem in love with Israel but are already socially discredit by intelectual elites who naturally see them as insane and radicalized.

What Lula says about Israel is no different than what EVERYBODY in third world is currently saying btw. However, it feels more threatening exactly because westerners recognize Lula’s influence and greatness as a global leadership, which adds power to the global south voice.

If anything Lula has been extremely soft in his Israel rhetoric for the longest time, which angered somewhat people on the left, his electorate base. With Ukraine he was always way more vocal about achieving Peace deals, about Israel he almost never said stuff and when he finally did make more incisive criticism of Israel it was already after way too long.

I get it’s more about hard geopolitics (Israel is more important than Ukraine blah blah blah) but when smaller South Africa has stronger stances in order to drive global discussions in the right path, you just end up looking spineless in comparison.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2024, 05:36:24 PM »

Lmao at 80% of Brazil.

Bb, I guarantee you most Brazilians simply don’t care. Not just about Israel/Palestine, but literally about any conflict going on far from our living sphere. Brazilians are extremely insular people and self-immersed culturally.

Only exception may be hardline evangelicals or something, who seem in love with Israel but are already socially discredit by intelectual elites who naturally see them as insane and radicalized.

What Lula says about Israel is no different than what EVERYBODY in third world is currently saying btw. However, it feels more threatening exactly because westerners recognize Lula’s influence and greatness as a global leadership, which adds power to the global south voice.
Brazil is America's South American cousin. We have so much in common. Tongue
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2024, 06:00:33 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2024, 06:06:04 PM by Red Velvet »

Lmao at 80% of Brazil.

Only exception may be hardline evangelicals or something, who seem in love with Israel but are already socially discredit by intelectual elites who naturally see them as insane and radicalized.

Brazil is America's South American cousin. We have so much in common. Tongue

We entered on each other lists of top immigrants for the first time ever around the same time! So trend is for us to become more connected. Though USA naturally receives a LOT more immigrants overall from everywhere:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies