Sununu for VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:55:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Sununu for VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sununu for VP?  (Read 1631 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2007, 02:28:58 PM »

Does anyone else think that John Sununu may be a viable VP candidate in 2008? We all know that his seat is going to be a big target in 2008 so perhaps he could drop out of that race and run as VP. I think he would be a good candidate for McCain or Huckabee. Sure he probably wouldn't do anything in terms of geography but he's conservative enough to attract the base but not alienating.

I also think he would be good choice for Giuliani or Romney but I think two northeasterners on a ticket would be too much...unfortunatly.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 02:30:52 PM »

Yes, I've thought that for awhile. I'd love for it to happen, too, but it gives the Dems another Senate seat.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »

That may happen anyway.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 02:38:38 PM »

I was waiting for that.  Tongue

At least we can fight for it and we're probably slightly favored with Sununu. I have no idea who else would run if he stepped aside. Smith might return from Florida (where he was a candidate i 2004) and run again.  Roll Eyes
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 02:43:45 PM »

I also think he would be good choice for Giuliani or Romney but I think two northeasterners on a ticket would be too much...unfortunatly.

It might be too much if it was two northeastern Democrats.  But I'm not sure why it would be too much if it was two northeastern Republicans.  I mean, in any close election, the South is going to vote for the GOP regardless, no matter what region of the country the candidates are from.  How would it hurt the GOP if they had an all-northeastern ticket?  It would be like the reverse of the all-southern Democratic ticket from 1992.

I've also thought that if the presidential nominee is a Washington outsider, like Romney or Huckabee, they might consider picking NH's other Senator (Gregg) as VP, as he has loads of experience (House of Reps., Governor, Senator) to offset the comparative lack of experience at the top of the ticket.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 02:53:10 PM »

Here's something else though: Isn't Sununu Catholic?  Even if the regional diversity thing isn't important, are we likely to see an all-Catholic GOP ticket (if Giuliani is the nominee) or a Mormon-Catholic GOP ticket (if Romney is the nominee)?  Might that be an issue?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 03:43:46 PM »

If Giuliani is the nominee, a conservative southerner will be his likely running mate.  Haley Barbour would be a smart choice, particularly if Republicans can sort out Barbour's history with the Council of Conservative Citizens.  (I think they can -- I am pretty sure his early support for them was when they were more about the Confederate flag than about White supremacy.  I can't imagine Barbour embracing White supremacy.)

But IMO, the smartest running mate for Giuliani would be Lindsey Graham.  Graham has it all.  Unimpeachable conservative credentials.  But he still isn't a hater or an extremist.  He supports the war but he has been critical of Bush and the Pentagon at times. He has some foreign policy experience, which Giuliani lacks (aside from NYC trade delegations) and he is popular with religious conservatives, without being an outright Theocrat. On top of everything else, Graham is just a super nice guy.  Even Democrats in the Senate say he's just a gregarious, warm-hearted guy that everyone likes.

I am not sure he'd be as good a match for McCain.  I think if a Senator is at the top of the ticket, it helps to have a Governor or someone else as a VP.  Two senators at the top, a la Kerry-Edwards, just seems a bit too "upper chamber".  For McCain, I would cite Barbour, Sanford or Huckabee.

Or...if you really want to get creative...Mike Pence of Indiana.  Pence being on the ticket wouldn't be meant to win Indiana for McCain.  McCain already HAS Indiana.  Any Republican has Indiana.  Pence could help deliver younger voters who might otherwise think of McCain as too grandfatherly.  And Pence is enormously popular with the Theocratic Religious Right.  Keep an eye on this guy as a real up and comer in the party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 03:47:18 PM »

If Giuliani is the nominee, a conservative southerner will be his likely running mate.

What's to say that Giuliani doesn't give triangulation a try?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 05:57:30 PM »

he would be an excellent choice!  a smart, common sense moderate republican from new england.

and i dont buy the argument that his seat, if vacated, would go 'automatically' dem.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 06:10:07 PM »

and i dont buy the argument that his seat, if vacated, would go 'automatically' dem.

Who's going to retain it?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 06:17:40 PM »

nh has a rather large state legislature, im sure there are more than a few republicans capable of winning statewide.

sure, republicans have taken a hit in nh lately.  but it is a mistake to assume it is the new vermont or massachusetts.  republicans can still be competetive in nh.  im in nh quite a bit, it always reminds me of the south (minus the black folk), right down to their love of nascar and country music.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 07:13:41 PM »

nh has a rather large state legislature, im sure there are more than a few republicans capable of winning statewide.

Except that New Hampshire just said in 2006, quite forceably, that they are sick of the Republicans in their state legislature.

BTW, New Hampshire has a huge State House but a tiny State Senate, so there are relatively few really senior people ready to make a run at a US Senate seat.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 07:24:51 PM »

I have a feeling we're going to see Senator Shaheen either way.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 01:21:05 AM »

Having a Republican member of the state legislature leadership run for senate would be like tom delay running for President, it wouldn't happen.  Sununu drops out, there really aren't any major Republican candidates who can jump out of the woodwork to contest the seat.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 09:29:15 AM »

youd like that, wouldnt you?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 10:42:38 AM »

Jeb Bradley would be a good candidate for an open Senate seat in NH.  I certainly like his chances against [insert Swett family member here] in a year that isn't 2006.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 11:57:06 AM »

No....Why would you say that?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 02:44:16 PM »

No....Why would you say that?

oh you just seemed kind of giddy about the possibility.

anyway, i think shaheen is done.  she couldnt get the job done in 2002 at the peak of her political career.  i dont see it happening now.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2007, 08:45:42 PM by Michael Z »

Call me immature, but the fact that he has a rather silly name may count against him. Giuliani/Sununu just doesn't sound like a very Presidential ticket, does it? At least not compared to Clinton/Gore or Bush/Cheney. Yeah. Not too many syllables! Short and snappy! That's the way to go. Heck, Kerry/Edwards almost pulled it off not too long ago. Bush/Quayle did it once. But Giuliani/Sununu? Huckabee/Sununu? Even McCain/Sununu sounds a bit off. In comparison, a tongue-breaker like Stevenson/Kefauver rolls off your lips like the sweetest sugar... or, for that matter, Obama/Richardson... Grin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies