Question to Gustaf and other European Posters (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:54:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Question to Gustaf and other European Posters (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question to Gustaf and other European Posters  (Read 22467 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« on: January 30, 2004, 03:36:51 PM »
« edited: January 30, 2004, 03:57:02 PM by Michael Zeigermann »

I can't speak for the others, but I personally find American politics very fascinating. Besides, whatever happens in America affects the rest of the world, so I guess it's in my own personal interest to closely follow political events in the USA.

Like Realpolitik I'm also extremely opinionated. Wink

By the way, I find your suggestion that we are "subtly anti-American" rather offensive. I am a great admirer of America's achievements and its political system. Furthermore, I used to live in Chicago and have friends all over the USA. If anything it is your post which carries an element of subtle anti-Europeanism (not to mention xenophobia).
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 06:16:58 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2004, 06:18:28 PM by Michael Zeigermann »

Gustaf/Michael Z.,

I believe ALL of the available polling data will find that there's more anti-Americanism in Europe than vice versa. Americans LOVE European tourists and I can tell you that I was NOT loved when I went to Europe. I spent most of the time being told how arrogant we were as a people and how the United States was intruding on their culture.

Unfortunately some people in Europe do feel a certain insecurity towards America, and there is, I'll admit, a currently popular sentiment that their cultures are being swallowed by America's dominance. For the record, I personally disagree with that sentiment. But it does exist.

That said, you can't judge all of Europe based on a few negative experiences. I mean, I've had some very bad experiences with Americans too, but I don't automatically think all Americans are bad people. I never judge an entire nation by the actions of a few people - everyone is an individual and I judge them accordingly, as human beings.

Europe and America share a great relationship. Let's keep it that way!
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 06:29:12 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2004, 06:32:33 PM by Michael Zeigermann »

For example, I find it hilarious when posters like yourself try to comment on what might happen and why it might happen in certain Southern states that you wouldn't visit at gunpoint because of the alleged lack of culture in those states.

Did Gustaf ever individually say that, talk about a "lack of culture" in the South? No. You appear to be throwing all Europeans into the same pot, directing the anger you're feeling at some people who pissed you off on the internet or on holiday against us. You're generalising, in other words.

Try not to judge people based solely on their national or cultural background.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 07:15:57 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2004, 07:54:51 PM by Michael Zeigermann »

Michael Z,

Thank you for two very intelligent and accurate posts. I totally agree with you, it is dangerous and unfair to lump all people from a nation or continent together. That was not my intention and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was referring specifically to certain posters here who all seemed to have similar political ideology.

I especially appreciate your admission that there is widespread anti-americanism in parts of Europe, and I appreciate even more your comment at the end about America and Europe being great long term allies. I agree with you and I assure you that until very, very recently, virtually all Americans shared our view. Unfortunately, a growing number of continental Europeans, including many of the most prominent leaders like Chirac, Schroeder, Fischer, etc...seem to believe that the post-Cold War world must be seen in different terms because the world is no longer "bi-polar" in terms of US and Soviet Union. The view of leaders like Chirac, and many prominent European academicians, suggest that the new world will include a bi-polar tension between the United States and Europe based on economic self-interest in the global economy. Thus anything which makes America weaker helps Europe. This is an unfortunate view, but it essentially explains the behavior of France and other nations. And when European nations take this dim view of US/Euro relations, the Neo-Conservatives (of which I am one) are forced to react in a rational manner and accept this as an unavoidable shift in international relations. This is VERY, VERY unfortunate, because the world will always be FAR safer when the United States and Europe are strong allies. But unless there is a change in the foreign policy of many European nations, this is the path we seem to be heading down in the 21st Century, and we head down this path to the peril of the entire world.

It goes without saying that I agree with the general tone of your post, and I want to thank you for your reconciliatory response. I also worry about the future of the US/Euro relationship; like you mentioned, we're stronger together than divided. If anything, Kosovo and Afghanistan proved that there is room for a transatlantic alliance in the post-Cold War world.

That said, I fear (or at least suspect) that the likes of Wolfowitz and Rumsfeld seem to quite actively undermine the relationship with some of the policies that are being pushed through. I personally am sceptical as to whether the neocons' reaction is really all that rational, and whether we would really be in this mess with a Gore administration. It also bears pointing out that the same European countries which defied America over Iraq (namely Germany and France) gave the United States their unconditional support in Afghanistan.

Gustaf does have a point. Many Republicans seem to regard Europe as cowardly and useless; whether this is a reaction to European anti-Americanism is beside the point, resentment breeds more resentment, and I'm sure you can appreciate how a vicious circle can easily form itself there. We've both addressed the anti-Americanism which exists in Europe, and some extremist groups quite blatantly pursue it, but I fear it works both ways.

As for Germany, I have relatives there (my surname should be hint enough of that Wink) and the country is currently going through a bit of an identity crisis; you always have to bear in mind its post-Hitler trauma and the pacifism which resulted from that, and the way this pacifism is effectively being compromised by the war on terror. Many Germans simply don't want to go to war, no matter how justified it may be (and Afghanistan was obviously justified due to 9'11). Schroeder risked his political career for sending troops to Afghanistan (and even had to force a vote of confidence), so you can imagine how well a campaign in Iraq would have gone down, especially at election time. It goes without saying that Chirac is using that to his advantage, to manipulate Schroeder and Fischer. Obviously I'm sceptical with regards to Chirac's motives, but then who isn't.

Anyway, feel free to e-mail me: michael.z@dial.pipex.com
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 04:32:00 PM »

Just like to point out I'm a republican and I do very much enjoy learning about other countries politicol platforms and not to mention seeing other parliaments engage in debates can be educational and entertaining.

Good to hear. "other parliaments" That would have to be the UK. At least the Swedish parliament is SO BORING that no one would want to see it. Entertainment value ZERO.

the Greek, Itallian, Japanesse and Chinesse parliaments are very interesting as well...

Yes, the Italian parliament is very entertaining, mainly because Italian politics is just so chaotic... Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies