List of Amusing Cases
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:28:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  List of Amusing Cases
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: List of Amusing Cases  (Read 4035 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2007, 12:25:40 AM »

The cases don't have to be 100% interesting, but feel free to post the citation and names of interesting cases here...and perhaps a short summary.

I'll start:

Piscopo v. Piscopo
232 N.J.Super. 559, 557 A.2d 1040

Snl's (in)famous cast member loses an appeal of divorce ruling that determined marital property included celebrity's celebrity goodwill.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 12:31:53 AM »

There are a number of good tort, contract and property cases I would list, but I don't remember the names or citations and I don't feel like looking it up.  Also a couple of funny criminal law cases, but I get a kick out of weird ways to kill people, so this is not surprising.

P.S.  You can also add anything to this thread authored by William J. Brennan, just for the reasoning alone.

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:33:50 AM »

There are a number of good tort, contract and property cases I would list, but I don't remember the names or citations and I don't feel like looking it up.  Also a couple of funny criminal law cases, but I get a kick out of weird ways to kill people, so this is not surprising.

P.S.  You can also add anything to this thread authored by William J. Brennan, just for the reasoning alone.

Search for a florida case...Hagan v. Coca-Cola.

Will make you think twice about the real thing.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 12:40:42 AM »

Famous contracts case came to my mind that concerned what the definition of "chicken" is.  Was pretty amusing.  Don't remember the name.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:42:39 AM »

Famous contracts case came to my mind that concerned what the definition of "chicken" is.  Was pretty amusing.  Don't remember the name.

Oh god...stewing chickens etc...oh dear god...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:49:49 AM »

If I made a contract for chicken, I thought I would be getting broilers and fryers also, not chickens they put in soup.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:52:32 AM »

If I made a contract for chicken, I thought I would be getting broilers and fryers also, not chickens they put in soup.

Devil's in the details...you could have always been more specific.

Man...I could go for some KFC...but they're not open at 1am eastern.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 12:58:21 AM »

Devil's in the details...you could have always been more specific.

Man...I could go for some KFC...but they're not open at 1am eastern.

One of the things I miss about Houston.  In the middle of the night, there's either some el cheapo taqueria or Taco Cabana (like Taco Bell, but actually pretty good), where you could go and get some enchildas or fajita tacos with beef or chicken.

Here you can either get pub food or some 24-hour diners, which is ok, but I could get that in Houston too.

There's nothing better in the middle of the evening than good greasy Tex-Mex not made by gringo wannabes.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 12:21:38 AM »

I don't know the name of the case, but there was one case around 1987 in which the Supreme Court ruled that bubble gum does not meet the definition of chewing gum. Supposedly, some of the justices chewed bubble gum and blew bubbles for the court to demonstrate their reasoning.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies