World stocks plummet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:31:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  World stocks plummet
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: World stocks plummet  (Read 2088 times)
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2007, 05:27:53 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6400789.stm

This is bad, right?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »

Maybe it will help people realize that the frantic attitude of speculation that's infested the stock market for the past half a year or so isn't the best way to go about things?

Bah, might as well wish that Americans actually saved money.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 07:42:27 PM »

Mostly it was a sharp drop in stock prices in China that lead to insecurity and a selling of major European indices and then a major sell off from the American market. A massive snowballing effect that really had more to do with timezones than economic problems. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 07:51:26 PM »

I don't think I'd panic just yet. The Dow and the S&P were down about 3% today, but are still up for the year. If you own stocks you have to get used to the ups and downs. The important thing is to think long term and adjust your holdings to your risk tolerance, and be diversified.

The market is somewhat over valued right now in my opinion, so its possible it will fall more. Its painful when that happens but then again nobody cries when its going up. (Well except for short sellers and people who trade options  Smiley )
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 08:53:14 PM »

Of course stocks plummeting is a sign that there are many impracticalities with the current system, but usually it is a good sign for 'the economy' and the commoners.  Such crisis often precipitate a Keyensian response, which is the only way workers every recieve any improvement in the capitalist system.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 09:40:36 PM »

No, this is good!

The stock market is built on the backs of everyone else, and if it suffers, we prosper. Look what happened in the late '90s when the market was booming - yet everyone was out of work.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 10:09:44 PM »

No, this is good!

The stock market is built on the backs of everyone else, and if it suffers, we prosper. Look what happened in the late '90s when the market was booming - yet everyone was out of work.

Ups and downs such as this don't matter much. Now if your talking about a really big hit such as the crash of 29 well that was followed by the depression. It wasn't really a good time for anyone.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:12:46 PM »

Ups and downs such as this don't matter much. Now if your talking about a really big hit such as the crash of 29 well that was followed by the depression. It wasn't really a good time for anyone.

The "new economy" that gained height in the '90s has actually been nearly as bad as the Great Depression.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 10:36:04 PM »

Mostly it was a sharp drop in stock prices in China that lead to insecurity and a selling of major European indices and then a major sell off from the American market. A massive snowballing effect that really had more to do with timezones than economic problems. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

The Chinese stock market was up 130 percent over the past year, so a 9 percent drop is not much. Same for the Dow, it is still way above 12,000. I would look at this as a buying opportunity in both countries.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 11:56:14 PM »

The Chinese stock market was up 130 percent over the past year, so a 9 percent drop is not much. Same for the Dow, it is still way above 12,000. I would look at this as a buying opportunity in both countries.

That is what I am doing. I already have buy orders in.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 12:42:39 AM »

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 01:01:17 AM »

The "new economy" that gained height in the '90s has actually been nearly as bad as the Great Depression.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is funny that Bandit has developed a reputation among the deludeds on this board, because he has a better understanding of economics than any of them.

Supersoulty's depression photos would not look unfamiliar to the lower half of the population in america today.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 01:14:41 AM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is funny that Bandit has developed a reputation among the deludeds on this board, because he has a better understanding of economics than any of them.

Supersoulty's depression photos would not look unfamiliar to the lower half of the population in america today.

As someone who comes from "the lower half" (as opposed to you) I can assure you that times are no where near that bad.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 09:08:10 AM »

As someone who comes from "the lower half" (as opposed to you) I can assure you that times are no where near that bad.

How much money do you recieve?  And do you live with your parents?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 11:19:21 AM »

Wow!!!!
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 11:22:36 AM »

Wow!!!!

you have to understand that Bandit has failed to grow up and still lives with his mother.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 11:47:01 AM »

Wow!!!!

You have to understand that Bandit has failed to grow up and still lives with his mother.

The Welfare System of New America EXPOSED. On the next jmfcst...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 02:53:43 PM »

Wow!!!!

You have to understand that Bandit has failed to grow up and still lives with his mother.

The Welfare System of New America EXPOSED. On the next jmfcst...

Actually 'still lives with his mother' is the explanation for most of the right-wingers on this board. 

Bandit may not always have all the details in hand, but he is completely correct in saying that the late nineties were in fact a terrible period for the lower working class (as are all periods under capitalism).
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 04:05:54 PM »

I bought alot of Chinese stocks today as well, for an online stock market game that we've been doing in my econ class not actual investing yet, but they seemed to have some good gains today. Smiley
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »

I don't "recieve" any money.  I do not live with my parents.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 09:45:30 PM »

I bought alot of Chinese stocks today as well, for an online stock market game that we've been doing in my econ class not actual investing yet, but they seemed to have some good gains today. Smiley

I'm waiting for a deposit to go through to my broker, then I will load up on energy and an eastern europe mutual fund. Anyway, the jitters this week remind me of May 2006.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2007, 10:55:48 PM »

No, this is good!

Actually, Black Tuesday was just a symptom of the Great Depression, not a cause.  But never mind that Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 12:04:29 AM »

So how is it you do not perish without any income?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 05:32:05 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2007, 05:43:16 AM by Supersoulty »

I have attained a certain level of financial independence, but I won't say how, becuase I don't believe it to be any of your business.  Before that, I earned my money working and I have still worked through college doing various things.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 01:23:24 PM »

I have attained a certain level of financial independence, but I won't say how, becuase I don't believe it to be any of your business.  Before that, I earned my money working and I have still worked through college doing various things.

Ok, so you do recieve money.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies