List of Alternate Presidents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:54:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  List of Alternate Presidents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: List of Alternate Presidents  (Read 540275 times)
Mikestone8
Rookie
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:11:29 AM »

Champ Clark - 1913-21 [1]
Thomas R Marshall - 1921 2-4 Mar [2]
Frank O Lowden - 1921-27 [3]
Herbert Hoover - 1927-33
Alfred E Smith - 1933-39
Franklin D Roosevelt - 1939-45

Thomas E Dewey - 1945-51
Adlai E Stevenson - 1951-57
John F Kennedy - 1957-63
John H Glenn - 1963-69
Robert A Taft, Jr - 1969-75
Ronald W Reagan - 1975-81
Lloyd W Bentsen - 1981-87
George H W Bush - 1987-93
William J Blythe - 1993-99
John F Kennedy, Jr - 1999-2005
Champ Clark III - 2005-11
Mitt Romney - 2011 -

[1] Last President elected for (two) four year terms. The 18th Amendment, restricting Presidents to a single six-year term, was passed when he was President-elect, but at his urging was made applicable only from the 1920 election. "When the American people elected me last November, they did so for a term of four years, which should not be retrospectively extended".

Clark's first term was controversial, notably for the "war scare" of 1914/15 when the US came close to hostilities with Britain over his refusal to permit the inspection of American mails or the seizure of foodstuffs and other items not generally recognised as contraband of war, which he enforced by encouraging American merchantmen to travel in convoy under the protection of the US Navy. Later, this practice was also used to protect American shipping against possible attack by German u-boats (no such attacks were made), and extended to passenger liners of all nationalities providing they carried no contraband. When it was suggested that the latter action was questionable in international law, Clark replied "If belligerants are allowed to bend the rules because they reckon that conditions have changed, then I don't see why neutrals shouldn't". He maintained US neutrality until the end of the war, and after the German victory on the European continent, peace between the Central Powers and the British and Japanese Empires was negotiated in Baltimore.

Clark was re-elected in 1916, defeating Republican Elihu Root, but was unable to secure the election of a Democratic successor. He died two days before the expiry of his second term in 1921

[2] Vice President on death of Clark. His two day tenure is likely to stand for a long time as the shortest in American history.

[3] First President elected for a six-year term under the 18th Amendment.
Mikestone8
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »

Great list. I'd really like to see a timeline about it some day.

Me too but it would be a mammoth task. I may chicken out and let someone else do it if they want to.

In reality, of course, the second half of the list is somewhat fictitious, as the persons named were born after the PoD, and so would probably either not have been born at all, or would not be identical to those who bore the same names OTL. On the other hand, since I've kept the US out of WW1 (and so possibly butterflied WW2 away as well) there will be 100,000 plus men surviving to father kids who never existed in our world - perhaps including a President or two. Hence my inclusion of Champ Clark III, though I haven't checked if such a person actually exists in our world.
Mikestone8
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 02:16:12 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2011, 01:10:52 PM by Mikestone8 »

Having quickly googled, it appears that there is a Champ Clark III, but he's in the computer business and apparently hasn't gone into politics - at least not on this TL.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies