2004 and beyond..... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:49:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 and beyond..... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2004 and beyond.....  (Read 25722 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: January 31, 2004, 11:53:58 PM »

I hardly think I turned on you by pointing out that Reagan simply did not factually, historically, provably win the greatest landslides in history. '84 was very impressive. So was '80. But they are not what they aren't.

Acctually, Reagan won in 84 with the highest vote EV vote total in history, so technically,that would be the biggest landslide in history.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 05:33:26 PM »

By DEAN-LIBERAL I mean a true left-wing. Remember Clinton ran moderate in 1992 and then turned out to be more liberal than we all thought.
Clinton ran as a centrist, went left form 93-94, saw that the Dems had their collective ass handed to them in 1994 and went back to the center for the rest of his tenure.

Alright, finally a Democrat who will admit that.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 05:47:12 PM »

I'm gonna make a few points on FDR and Reagan. First off, M is compeltely right that the percentage of EVs is the thing to look at, anything else is ridiculous. That's like saying that Nader is much more popular than Washington was, b/c Nader recieved more popular votes. And the highest EV-percentage since pre-civil war era IS FDR, in 1936.

One of the left-wingers in these times were Ronald Reagan, btw, who supported freedom of speech for Communists, one of the things that makes him great in my opinion. Just a little reminder, PD. There was not thousands of spies everywhere, I thought McCarthy was well buried, but I guess I was wrong.

To RP: I am pretty sure that Churchill did what he could to fight Stalin, but was betrayed by FDR and Britan was too weak to go on it's own. FDR and Eisenhower, like most Americans of that time, failed to see the Communist threat in time, which put much of Eastern Europe into Soviet hands.

There were a lot of spies and communist sympathisers in the FDR administration.  Alger Hiss and Henry Wallace to name a couple (Wallace wasn't a spy, but he was a sympathiser.  What you said about Reagan is true, he always supported freedom of speech, just not subversive communism.  BIG difference.

Also, you were right about FDR and Churchill except I would say that FDR was more compliant with Soviet demands than what you can attribute to nievity about the Soviets.  I think that FDR let the entire world down when he AT LEAST failed to stop Soviet control of Eastern Europe.  Patton had the right idea.  We should have kicked the Soviets butts back into Russia, where they belonged.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies