Rasmussen: Fred Thompson leads Hillary, but trails Obama by double digits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:23:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  Rasmussen: Fred Thompson leads Hillary, but trails Obama by double digits
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rasmussen: Fred Thompson leads Hillary, but trails Obama by double digits  (Read 2801 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2007, 01:26:15 PM »

Survey of 800 Likely Voters
March 21-22, 2007

Fred Thompson (R)  44%
Hillary Clinton (D)  43%

Barack Obama (D) 49%
Fred Thompson (R)  37%

When matched against Thompson, Obama outperforms Clinton among men, women, white voters, and unaffiliated voters. He even attracts more crossover support from the GOP.

These numbers are probably more a reflection of national voter attitudes towards the Democrats than a comment on Thompson. A plurality of voters (41%) has no opinion on the actor from Tennessee. Thirty-six percent (36%) have a favorable opinion while 23% hold an unfavorable view.

The favorability ratings for Obama are 54% favorable, 36% unfavorable. Clinton earns favorable reviews from 50%, unfavorable opinions from 48%.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/Political%20Tracking/Presidential%20Match-Ups/March%202007/Thompsonvs.ObamaClinton20070323.htm
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 02:11:41 PM »

Is this the first '08 national poll to show any Republican other than Giuliani and McCain leading one of the top three Dems (Clinton/Obama/Edwards)?  I don't remember any polls showing Gingrich or Romney leading any of those three.  The other Republicans are rarely included in these head-to-head general election matchups, but when they are, they don't tend to do very well.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:21:18 PM »

I bet the "Draft Thompson" people will go crazy over this poll without mentioning the Obama-Thompson match up.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 02:29:06 PM »

I bet the "Draft Thompson" people will go crazy over this poll without mentioning the Obama-Thompson match up.

I could care regardless. If Obama and Thompson were in a debate, there would be a little pool of mush where Obama was standing afterwards.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 06:36:52 PM »

I could care regardless. If Obama and Thompson were in a debate, there would be a little pool of mush where Obama was standing afterwards.

Thompson's breath is that bad?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 08:09:12 PM »

It's the horse manure on his boots.
Deano963

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 08:17:41 PM »

Well, yeh, and of course the horse manure coming out of his mouth.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 08:19:28 PM »

Well, yeh, and of course the horse manure coming out of his mouth.

Well, you don't actually think it comes from working on a farm do you?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 08:34:07 PM »

Don't nominate Hillary!!
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 12:16:10 AM »

No, no.  DO NOMINATE HER!  Haven't you heard?  She's the smartest woman in the world.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 05:24:57 PM »

Stick a fork in Hillary. Why is someone with no principles who wouldn't do well in the general election leading in the primary?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 08:04:20 PM »

Stick a fork in Hillary. Why is someone with no principles who wouldn't do well in the general election leading in the primary?

...because Democrats are retarded.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 11:03:14 AM »

One thing that Fred Thompson has going for him is that just like McCain and Obama does, is that he appeals to swing voters due to him co-sponsoring campaign finance reform in the senate passed in 2002 right before he retired.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 11:05:12 AM »

One thing that Fred Thompson has going for him is that just like McCain and Obama does, is that he appeals to swing voters due to him co-sponsoring campaign finance reform in the senate passed in 2002 right before he retired.

You also aren't taking into account the fact that people want to vote for actors.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 06:55:17 PM »

This poll isn't unexpected; almost any Republican will get at least 45% of the vote in a poll against Hillary, due to the fact that most people have ingrained opinions about her and will vote for or against her regardless of the issues at hand. Why the Democrats want to hinder themselves by nominating Hillary is beyond me, but hey, Democratic Primary Voters aren't known for their propensity to nominate electable candidates.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 07:04:03 PM »

This poll isn't unexpected; almost any Republican will get at least 45% of the vote in a poll against Hillary, due to the fact that most people have ingrained opinions about her and will vote for or against her regardless of the issues at hand.

But that's not the way most polls have been going though.  Giuliani and McCain do tend to do well against HRC, but the polls I've seen that pit her against Gingrich, Hagel, Romney etc. invariably have her winning, with the Republican candidate failing to reach 45%.  Like I said upthread, I think this may very well be the first '08 general election poll that has anyone other than Giuliani or McCain beating HRC.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies